ProQ Excel Elite20 Has Landed

All about smokers hot and cold
steinyboys

ProQ Excel Elite20 Has Landed

Post by steinyboys » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Well after a long wait the Pro Q Ecel Elite has landed, overall very happy, it was very easy to set up, and the build quality is ok , all be it the welded seems are very rough and the extra stacker is just an excel, so has not got the red handles and the probe hole are in a different spot, will need to go back to BBQXL and find out if they make an Elite stacker, hope they do looks a bit odd the way it is, and the rotisserie stacker looks ok but I think is a bit flimsy and noisy over all got to remember its not a Weber I give it 70 out of 100 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
now with the extra stacker note the different handles and probe holes
Now with rotisserie fitted and hood on going to call it Godzilla when set up like this LOL
The welded seams bit rough
Maybe I am being a bit critical lets see how it cooks :D :D :D
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20

urbangriller

Re: ProQ Excel Elite20 Has Landed

Post by urbangriller » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 am

Yep....get that thing cooking!!!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Pig From Head To Toe
My first cook and I am impressed this cooker is a low and slow machine steady 225-250 all day and beautiful tender pork
this was an experiment Pigs head three bucks my Asian wife loves them me mmm lets see lol
Pork shoulder and a Aldi Hock
no half way shots to busy drinking beer and mowing lawn entertaining children you know what I mean about 7 hours later
And now the Head My wife said it was yum, I am not so sure, didn't have the guts to give it a go there is always a next time LOL
The shoulder was delicious
To sum up its a great cooker for low n slow, almost set and forget But seems to be heavy on charcoal has a huge basket and needs it all to go the distance , Might be my choice of charcoal will try some malle root next time, I am using Gaganis Bros charcoal I am told its from Indonesia Once I get what to use sorted will be better off
Thanks for looking Mick

zook33per

Post by zook33per » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 am

Decent unit, I've got its little brother and get 10-12 hours from 1.5 bags of Heatbeads/minion method, holds steady @ 250f, you've just got top up the waterpan every 3 hours. I like the extra rack, be good for multiple meats..You should try the cheeks, bloody delicious!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:09 am

Yes I will try the cheeks next time LoL , As far as the water pan goes I think I will fill it with sand, there seems to be quite a lot of people with WSM not using water, just foiling the pan, My next cook will try it with sand see how it goes might burn less coal hopefully

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Make sure you wash the sand....and don't use it wet! Hot Wet sand smells. Foil over the top of the pan.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:11 pm

ok thanks for the tip, after washing might through it into the hark to dry out would that be the go ??

SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Yep, next time dig into those cheeks! Or cut the cheeks out before you smoke it (I'm sure the wife won't notice :P ) and make some guanciale 8)

Steaksy

Post by Steaksy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:41 pm

I've got exactly that set up mate and love it love the roti kit use it all the time and the extra stacker they don't do in an elite just the standard but it does have the stainless 20" grill rack (I usually position it as the 3rd stacker so it sits above the waterpan that way I've got the probe grommets up top). I've done a few cooks now with it set up in "beast mode" three stackers going and find I use a lot more lump charcoal than I do when using two stackers I put it down to having to heat a larger area but its a great piece of kit for low n slow cooks for sure.

Enjoy it.

Cheers
Steaksy
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser

neofelis

Post by neofelis » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Does anyone else have discolouration on the proq door? Its only happened to one of my stackers but its turned golden / brown colour.

Any suggestions on how to remove the discolouration?