Advice on choosing a ProQ model + accessories?

All about smokers hot and cold
meatme

Advice on choosing a ProQ model + accessories?

Post by meatme »

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a smoker for my partner's birthday next week and I need a little bit of help. He's never owned a smoker, but he's pretty talented in the kitchen and also works in a low and slow style American bbq restaurant. I've been lurking for a while and have picked up lots of useful information, but have a couple of final queries.

First question - ProQ Frontier vs. ProQ Frontier Elite. I don't have a massive budget, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money to get the Frontier Elite. This will be stretching my budget, but I don't want to get him the basic one if it's not good enough, and I'd be happy to pay the extra amount to get him something that's really worth it. Unfortunately the Excel 20 is definitely not in my budget.

I'd imagine he'd be using it primarily for smoking (occasionally grilling but not much), for long/overnight cooks, and primarily for meats like ribs, brisket, lamb and pork, and maybe some deli cuts down the track. I would be able to pick up the standard version from a store in Melbourne, but I'm not sure if any have stock of the Elite right now, so I'd probably have to order online and hope that it arrives within the week.

Second question - What accessories are essential, and what should I buy to get him going? I've already purchased a Maverick ET733 thermometer from UrbanGriller. The other accessory I'll definitely buy is a charcoal chimney (does brand matter here?). I was also thinking about a cover, but if this isn't necessary up front then I'd rather not buy it right now. Should I buy him some charcoal, wood chips, etc. as well? I know people have quite different preferences, so I thought it might be nice for him to choose them for himself, but I'm not sure.

Is there anything else I've missed? Also... I hope that I've posted this in the right section of the forum, if not, please let me know and I'll move it!

Thanks so much! :D
Michael_Dunn

Re: Advice on choosing a ProQ model + accessories?

Post by Michael_Dunn »

> First question - ProQ Frontier vs. ProQ Frontier Elite. ... worth the extra money to get the Frontier Elite.

from their website:

"we are now offering an upgraded version of this smoker, the Frontier Elite,
with thicker walls for robustness and better insulation, stainless steel grills
that are longer lasting, easier to clean and more rust resistant, we have also
upgraded the fittings (side handles, clips, nuts and bolts) to stainless steel as well.
The side handles are now silicon coated for a cooler touch, and we have also
upgraded the probe eyelets to be silicon so that they accomodate more probe types."

based on the above, I'd get the elite.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Get a couple of Ikea Rib Racks and a mop, maybe an injector!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Which ever model you buy, he'll be happy. My Frontier is the best thing my family ever gave me. :D I use it heaps and they all benefit.

If you live close to the ocean get a cover, there's another gift idea for later on. Urbangriller sells them.

Down the track another gift idea that goes well is the ProQ cold smoke generator. Great little addition, makes the best smoked cheese.

A bag of charcoal, a chimney (brand isn't important when starting out) and a ProQ. What else can a man want. :D
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Angryman65 wrote:Which ever model you buy, he'll be happy. My Frontier is the best thing my family ever gave me. :D I use it heaps and they all benefit.

If you live close to the ocean get a cover, there's another gift idea for later on. Urbangriller sells them.

Down the track another gift idea that goes well is the ProQ cold smoke generator. Great little addition, makes the best smoked cheese.

A bag of charcoal, a chimney (brand isn't important when starting out) and a ProQ. What else can a man want. :D
A wife like meatme i'd reckon :lol:
JOCKs

Post by JOCKs »

The elite models as I understand it has holes for your temp probes ? I think that's the main difference between the normal vs elite
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Same diameter? Can you replace the grates in the frontier with elite grates?
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

they all have probe holes, but the elite has larger silicone ones.

And they are the same diameter.
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Hey<-----------> Listen up, shhhh don't tell any one ok , a man told me, there is a big container of Pro Q pits sitting in customs, on the docks in Melbourne waiting shipment to customers next week
So EXCITED :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Hi meatme here is a link to the proQ webb site will tell you all you need to know

http://www.proqsmokers.com.au/products/ ... tier-elite

Mick
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Buccaneer wrote:Same diameter? Can you replace the grates in the frontier with elite grates?
Yep, Same Size.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

urbangriller wrote:
Buccaneer wrote:Same diameter? Can you replace the grates in the frontier with elite grates?
Yep, Same Size.
Do you have the elite, stackers and accessories in stock, Chris?
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Buccaneer wrote:
urbangriller wrote:
Yep, Same Size.
Do you have the elite, stackers and accessories in stock, Chris?
I have some standard (and a stacker)....Elites are yet to be unloaded at the importer. They will be available for delivery ex Sydney next week fingers crossed.
meatme

Post by meatme »

Hey<-----------> Listen up, shhhh don't tell any one ok , a man told me, there is a big container of Pro Q pits sitting in customs, on the docks in Melbourne waiting shipment to customers next week
So EXCITED :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Haha a little birdy told me this, and I have been patiently waiting for stock to arrive at the BBQ store in my area. It's so hard to not call them everyday and ask if it's there yet :cry:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I decided to go with the Elite (hence the waiting). I had a look at the Frontier model in BBQs Galore and wasn't super impressed, so I'm hoping the improved build quality of the Elite will live up to the hype I've created in my mind.
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

:shock: :shock: :shock: The truck has delivered to the store today and I will pick up tomorrow :D :D :D I HOPE :P :P :P