tax back, Hark Tri-Fire

All about smokers hot and cold
joel87

tax back, Hark Tri-Fire

Post by joel87 »

Im not going to lie in pretty I'm pressed with the hark tri-fire! After an easy assembly and sturdy parts, my first cook turned out amazing.

I was so surprised how well it held its temp and how easy it was to control the heat.

The food turned out awesome, I did chicken pieces and some meatballs wrapped in bacon. The meatballs had perfect smoke rings and the chicken wasn't dried out. This weekend I'm going to try some ribs I think when I have some more time!

Observations... Just as the smokey got upto temp there was a light smoke that came off the firebox mainly, my guess is the gloss maybe? I added the food after it had stopped.

The smoke that escaped through the doors, chimney. I'm going to purchase some silicon today to fix that up :)

I used thvoid method for my cook but for longer cooked I'm guessing a charcoal basket is the way to go.

All in all I'm really impressed!
urbangriller

Re: tax back, Hark Tri-Fire

Post by urbangriller »

Good stuff Joel,

The chimney will seal up with tar the more you use it. Check how the door seats, if it's a little sideways in the hinges the edge of the door will sit up on the body causing a gap, a little tap one way or the other will fix it.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

joel87 wrote:
Observations... Just as the smokey got upto temp there was a light smoke that came off the firebox mainly, my guess is the gloss maybe? I added the food after it had stopped.
Welcome to the world of evil stick burners! Love my Tri-Fire

Did you season it properly and give it a burn in for the first run? The factory oil is probably what you saw burning off.

I haven't found that I've had to seal mine up at all. The trick Chris mentioned about giving it a little tap if the door is a bit off worked a treat and mine doesn't really leak.

Have fun with it. Will give you plenty of great cooks I'm sure.
joel87

Post by joel87 »

Actually guys the doors seat really well! And the chimney isn't a problem? That's good news for me!

No Chris I haven't given it a burn in? I did crank the heat up for a while until the smell went away from the paint? Well I thought it was paint. How do I burn it in? Get the fire roaring?

Cheers!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

joel87 wrote:Actually guys the doors seat really well! And the chimney isn't a problem? That's good news for me!

No Chris I haven't given it a burn in? I did crank the heat up for a while until the smell went away from the paint? Well I thought it was paint. How do I burn it in? Get the fire roaring?

Cheers!
That was SilentBob not me, but Burning in puts a coat of anti-bacterial tars on the inside. Coat everything with Spray oil or (my preference) paint with Lard, then run a small hot fire for two hours so the chamber is 230F (115C ish).

Download the User guide I wrote for Hark here: http://urbangriller.com.au/wp-content/u ... k-Book.pdf

It'll give you seasoning instructions, heaps of tips and fire/heat setups as well as some recipes.

Cheers
Chris
joel87

Post by joel87 »

urbangriller wrote:
joel87 wrote:Actually guys the doors seat really well! And the chimney isn't a problem? That's good news for me!

Cheers!
That was SilentBob not me, but Burning in puts a coat of anti-bacterial tars on the inside. Coat everything with Spray oil or (my preference) paint with Lard, then run a small hot fire for two hours so the chamber is 230F (115C ish).

Download the User guide I wrote for Hark here: http://urbangriller.com.au/wp-content/u ... k-Book.pdf

It'll give you seasoning instructions, heaps of tips and fire/heat setups as well as some recipes.

Cheers
Chris
What oil do u recommend Chris? And awesome guide btw you've done an awesome job there!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I would use No Name canola from the supermarket....the Coles brand one has a really good nozzle, gives a good spray pattern.

Cheers
Chris
joel87

Post by joel87 »

urbangriller wrote:I would use No Name canola from the supermarket....the Coles brand one has a really good nozzle, gives a good spray pattern.

Cheers
Chris
Awesome cheers for that! I'm going to make some tuning plates at work Monday!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

joel87

Post by joel87 »

Tonight I smoked some ribs and a porterhouse roast!

The ribs turned out absolutely amazing. Used some apple wood for the first time (switched from hickory) and as soon as that wood went on and I smelt it I knew it was going to taste awesome!

I got a really really thick smoke ring on the beef, I was really impressed! I got my the beef temp around 225-250 the whole cook (the beef was in the middle of the cooking chamber) the ribs sat around 200-225 (they sat to the very right of the chamber).

So.... I've learnt my temperature zones, also to cut off the hard membrane off porterhouse before trying to smoke it haha.

All in all with no mods thus far this smoker is everything I'd hoped for!