Patio Reverse Flow Build

All about smokers hot and cold
rustoration

Re: Patio Reverse Flow Build

Post by rustoration »

Finally, the silly season is out of the way and I have a free weekend that isn't 40 degrees plus...

First i'll catch you up on a bit of work from last year that i haven't documented thus far. After test fitting the baffle plate, I added a flat bar upstand and welded the whole lot into place along with the baffle plate drain tube. Also included in the first picture is a trial design for the meat rack runners.

The chimney was next and was far from my finest work; the hole i cut for it was a fair bit off so took a bit to get the gaps filled and it looking semi presentable.

And that was it for 2015
Low n' slow... The art of bbq and classic VW's
rustoration

Post by rustoration »

And so to todays effort, which feels like I am approaching the homeward run.

The runner design seemed to work well so I used that for two levels of racks and knocked up the two meat rack frames (the expanded steel will be welded in later).

I added a handle to the non firebox end to help steer it around, the dowel is 45mm so should be robust enough.

And then got on with cleaning up the chimney by first blending in the chimney to smoker body a lot better than it was first time round and adding a draft flap.

That's it for the day, not too much more fabrication left.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Getting it happening now,it's starting to take shape.....you're lucky it ain't me welding it :lol: :lol: I'm good at blowing holes into metal :mrgreen:

A bit of a light grind and some potbelly black paint and no-one would ever know.....I don't think the smoke will tell either :P

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
rustoration

Post by rustoration »

So in between progressing a house extension, I've been stealing some time here and there to progress the smoker.

Fabrication came to an end with the addition of a collapsible shelf on the front of the smoker. It took a bit more effort than a fixed shelf, but should save some space in the shed.

I didn't get any photos of work in progress but it took a couple of attempts and a bit of thinking to get the counter weight on the lid sorted. Underneath the lid is the front shelf, some 12mm rod evenly spaced makes for a heat proof, strong flat surface. The photos below are post sand blasting...

and I added a locking mechanism of similar style to the firebox door at the same time, notice the catches welded on underneath the smoker opening, same same as the firebox.

And now post sandblasting and paint, I present my home brewed smoker

The handles are a tasmanian oak dowel drilled for M12 coach bolts, rest of the fixings are stainless and the paint was 2 coats of rustoleum high temp satin black.

The last and final step will be to christen it up next weekend once the paint has cured, season the internals and then stand back and bask in its glory.
edgy

Post by edgy »

Top effort mate, great looking build. :)

Now whats in the VW collection...... :lol:
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
KBBQ

Post by KBBQ »

Great job so wish I had your skills
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

loved the journey, top result, cant wait for the cook up pics
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

This reminds me of the safes I used to weld together, :shock:
Top job mate. You just made yourself your own bbq for life :lol: I think "Red October" might be a fitting name if ya haven't already named it.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Anicol

Post by Anicol »

Great build rustoration, Im curious to know how well it smokes for you and if you have any advice on modifications now with hindsight.
rustoration

Post by rustoration »

Nice build yourself anicol...

I've been smoking most weekends lately on the reverse flow, working out the foibles in advance of the Up In Smoke comp 9-10 July here in Adelaide. And so far, so good.

It takes a good hour or so to get heat into the smoker once its fired up and as long as you keep fuel in it (wood that is, no charcoal in this stick burner) it holds it temp great and recovers quickly after opening the smoker door.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Any changes? To be honest, I originally intended to add a second drain point below the baffle plate to aid in cleaning but still to get around to it. I've also been thinking about retro fitting a warming cabinet which could double as a secondary cook chamber. Seen some good ideas online and may pull the trigger on it after UIS.

I've also start thinking about a trailer mounted smoker, but that will need a bigger vessel. So if anyone in SA knows where a 500l plus 6mm steel tank is lying around, let me know (a finders fee may be available).