Gas smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
nebben838

Gas smoker

Post by nebben838 »

Hey,
I've got a new hark gas smoker and I'm finding that anything I smoke has a really really strong smoke flavor, almost unedable. I'm using apple chunks and smoking it for about 1.5 hours of smoke. I'm smoking pork shoulder as well. Any ideas on what might cause this?

Cheers,
Ben.
beachbums

Re: Gas smoker

Post by beachbums »

nebben838 wrote:Hey,
I've got a new hark gas smoker and I'm finding that anything I smoke has a really really strong smoke flavor, almost unedable. I'm using apple chunks and smoking it for about 1.5 hours of smoke. I'm smoking pork shoulder as well. Any ideas on what might cause this?

Cheers,
Ben.
Hi Ben, When we first started smoking I used to hit everything just a bit too hard with the smoke :-)
A little more info will help us to work out what's giving you trouble.
What have you cooked so far, pork shoulders or have you tried other things?
Just a check on your apple wood, is it well dried out and not still green, bark off? Any Chainsaw oil on it?
How big are the chunks and how much do you put in the box? How much smoke is coming out of the vents ( and doors :-) )

Perhaps try a test with a couple of chicken breasts. Cook one with no wood at all and see what you think. Then try another with a smallish load of smoke wood, say just one chunk.
If you're near a bunnings grab a bag of hickory chips ( about $7 ) and give them a try on another one?
The Harks are a good smoker to play with , we love ours.

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

I had a Hark electric, same cabinet size as the Gas, and ruined a bunch of meat with Creosote because I had the top vent only partially open, you have to let the smoke out otherwise it goes around and around and gets heavier and heavier until it drips black creosote tar on the meat. Creosote flavour is bitter and makes your tongue numb, Dentists in the 1800's used it as a local anaesthetic.

Open the top vent Full and let the smoke out.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yes, Airflow is the key, you need the air travelling through and fresh air coming in, it's not about trapping smoke. Also start with only a cup of chips and build up from there, after a couple of cooks you'll find the balance that works for you.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
nebben838

Post by nebben838 »

Thanks for the replys.
I've done 2 pork shoulders and 1 bit of beef. I used apple and cherry chunks, there about 3-4 inches long and around 2-3 inches round. I used 2 of each at the start and then I more of each at about the 45 minute mark and that was it.
the meats were all about 2.5 km each and Imore doing a pork shoulder today about 2.2kg and I used apple wood pallets but they started to flame after 15 minutes so I took them out and put in 3 apple chunks.
The wood was dry, bark on and no oils or anything.
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

To me sounds like you've used to much fruit wood at the start mate which would of generated a lot of smoke try adding a chunk every 30-45minutes if you can and remember meat can only absorb smoke for so long usually no more than 3 hours.

Steaksy
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Hey ! Ever since i ate the finest BBQ, i've been longing to buy a smoker and try my hand at making BBQ myself. Could someone suggest which one is the best smoker available in the market. Preferably a propane smoker. Thanks in advance!
C.B & S.

Post by C.B & S. »

Hi Jessica,
You may want to look around a bit more at what it is you want to do in the way of smoking/Qing.
A pellet grill may be something for you to consider if you are looking to also grill and keep it easy.
Plenty of good info on the site and people to help you through your journey.
Good luck!
Russell.
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.