ProQ question

All about smokers hot and cold
wedwards

ProQ question

Post by wedwards »

I've seen a couple comments on here about how long the proq will run before needing a top up of either heat beads or water. Most have said around 6 hours. Is this really the case? My WSM easily does 12 hours. I was looking to upgrade to the proq elite 20 but 6 hours is a definite deal breaker. Anyone care to share their experiences, or tell me I misunderstood or something?
StoneX

Re: ProQ question

Post by StoneX »

I have the Frontier and I top the water up after about 6 hours at 225F as it's getting low. I top the charcoal up around the same time to ensure it'll last overnight but it's definitely nowhere near done.

I'm sure someone else has tested them more extensively and knows how long they last without being topped up though.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

You'll get 12 hours and some out of a loaded ProQ Excel, top up the water and the charcoal at the 12 hour point and keep going!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
wedwards

ProQ question

Post by wedwards »

Awesome thanks chris
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

No worries :)
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

8 hours if you fill the basket - but ive found u can go a lot higher than the basket, as the water pan sits a good fist or so higher, so you can pile the charcoal almost to the top of the bottom section. This would give u 12 easy :|
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

Does everyone always use water in their WSM/ProQ?

I used it for the first couple of cooks then went dry pan and have never looked back. I have filled it a few times since and can notice no difference in the moisture of the meat? I just find it takes ages to get to temp and uses triple the fuel.
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

I always use it for low temp cooks as it seems to help keep the temp stable.

I don't use it during a hot cook, like if I want crispy skin on chicken/turkey.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I never use water in my WSM, I just foil the pan for easy clean up, once the WSM has a layer of seasoning on the inside I find it holds temp perfectly
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

i always use water for slow cooks - might have to try it without
wedwards

ProQ question

Post by wedwards »

The pan doesn't get damaged from having high heat under it with no water? Might have to try this tonight
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I've cooked with water and without and have found no noticeable difference with the end product. Others may have a different story. I just found clean up was easier without water and I don't have to tend to it as much
I have a 1983 model WSM and the water pan looks as good as the day it was bought
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

wedwards wrote:The pan doesn't get damaged from having high heat under it with no water? Might have to try this tonight
Just be sure to double foil it. Makes for easier clean up. Mine has gone for 18hrs and still had heaps of heatbeads left, some even unlit.

And watch it on the way up as it can overshoot easily. I usually end up with 2 vents closed and one left open 15-25% and then obviously more as the cook goes on.
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

wedwards wrote:The pan doesn't get damaged from having high heat under it with no water? Might have to try this tonight
My pan is all flaking off on the underside and I think I've only gone without water 2-3 times out of about 30 uses.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

StoneX wrote:
My pan is all flaking off on the underside and I think I've only gone without water 2-3 times out of about 30 uses.
The enamel is flaking? It's not the smoke residue de-laminating like it does in a kettle lid?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!