Another Hark Tri-Fire Owner

All about smokers hot and cold
Gumb

Re: Another Hark Tri-Fire Owner

Post by Gumb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:52 am

Use smaller bits of wood and not logs to get a hot fire going. Sounds like you didn't have it flaming properly.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:22 am

Matt wrote:Hi guys I'm new to this Forum I just purchased a Hark Tri offset smoker and had my first test run today. I'm a little concerned with the temp in the cooking box, I ended up putting 4kg of bricketts in the heat box and the max temp I got out of it was 110 degrease C/ 230F. I know its a smoker and I had the fire box vent open full and the chimney vent open half it should get hotter than this? Any ideas of what I can do or is that the max temp
Matt,

The chimney rain cap needs to be open fully, these work on getting good airflow not trapping smoke.

Use hardwood charcoal to start a small HOT fire and regularly feed it small split timbers, no bigger than a tennis ball width. you want the sticks to catch fire quickly, not smoulder.

You can use beads, but beads do not burn anywhere near as hot as wood.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:58 pm

I used wood in the Hark for the first time last week and was amazed at how easy it was to keep the temp stable. I did throw a large log on at the start and once that got burning I threw the meat on and it kept stable for a good couple of hours until it burned through the log enough for the temps to start dipping and I chucked some smaller pieces on after that to keep the temps up every hour or so. Pork shoulder tasted amazing!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks for the help guys, I can't wait to get stuck into it on the weekend. Here is a pick of my new beast being seasond

How do you guys add a pick? It keeps saying file to big

burb

Post by burb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Hey Matt, great guide to posting pics here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5380