Backyard offset build.

All about smokers hot and cold
urbangriller

Re: Backyard offset build.

Post by urbangriller »

Wow Dez...you're on fire!

That intake will be fine, there are heaps done that way. Being able to open the top and bottom independent of each other lets you feed the fire from below and let cool air in above the fire when you want to.

Keep it up!

Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

Great workmanship.
Dez

Post by Dez »

Thanks Dionysus32 and Chris. Its actually taking me longer than was anticipated. I thought that it would be quite a simple thing to build. Would be nice if the steel wasnt so rusty and the arc welding has been very time consuming. The hinges I used on the fire box are leftovers from a gate build. Just a little bit over rated for the load haha. The hinges on the smoker lid/door are just plain door hinges. I'm not sure how I feel about how they look. They are a bit nasty looking. Next time I'll do something a bit cleaner looking.
Chris. I had no intention of making the vents independent of each other. However if that will be better for the flow then thats what I'll do. Have you got any designs of how its done? Or can point me in the right direction. I've cut a disc out for the door and not too sure how I would go about seperating the movement of each.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

If you look at this, it works like yours, but there is another damper mod inside the top section that allows it to be open or closed regardless of where the bottom is set.

Dez

Post by Dez »

Thanks Chris. I like the concept. I really wish I had known about the air flow thing prior to doing my vents. Why does Yoder have their vents so high? Ive got about 5 new designs running through my head now. I'll try and come up with something good.
Anyway these are my last pics for a week as I'm going back to work. I promised my boys I'd have a fire in it befor I left. So here it is. Still lots to do, but it will have to wait a week now sorry. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
This next pic is the wheels I bought off ebay. They are in transit.

Last edited by Dez on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Great effort in the time you had Dez and thanks for all the pics. I'm looking forward to the nex chapter when you return from work.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Great work so far Dez! Catch you in a week.
Dez

Post by Dez »

Thanks Gumb. I'm really enjoying building it. The sad thing is I got so carried away, I ran out of time to do an actual cook on the weber and just had to put a large bone in pork scotch into the freezer.
Thanks also Narmnaleg.
And cheers to whoever fixed up one of my botched posts.
Last edited by Dez on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Priorities mate, priorities. You can cook that on the new toy but the build is first :D
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Dez wrote:Image[/url]
This thing is really heavy now! Bring on the wheels.
Looks great like a Walker
I kept googling
lol
chilling while grilling
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Can't you pull a sickie? :D
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

Really enjoying following the progress of this build Dez great work mate thanks for taking us on your journey!

Steaksy
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser
rotten

Post by rotten »

Another great build thread.

Looks awesome.
josh

Post by josh »

Wow i wish i had that much motivation on my own projects lol

And those welds look bloody good for an arc welder! Look forward to seeing the rest of this build
Dez

Post by Dez »

Hi guys. Thanks for all the support and kind words.
Ok, so Chris from Urban Griller said I need to make my intake vents independent of each other. It sounded like more work to me. Haha. But he made sense, so here is what I've come up with.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Top is my original plan. A bit of cutting and shutting later, I now have independent vents. Still have to add handles and fit a nicer looking bolt. But functionality seems good.
Please don't be too put off by everything looking so rusty and nasty. Once all the fab is done she'll clean up alright. I hope.