Backyard offset build.

All about smokers hot and cold
Dez

Backyard offset build.

Post by Dez »

Hi all. Very new to the forum and mainly just soak up the info. But I've decided its time to come out of hiding
Anyway, the BBQ bug has bitten and after many cooks on my trusty old weber kettle I've decided to build an offset smoker.
I will try to add as many pics as I can along the way and will also attempt to get it done in relatively quick time. (However most of my projects get a bit dragged out).
Here are some pics of the bones of the build. 450mm diameter 6mm thick.
edit: pics uploaded. Thanks Gumb for your help.Image
Picked up the Steel from a big engineering mob for $150. They profile cut out 4 circles for me for and extra $50. I wanted 500mm diameter pipe, unfortunately this was the next best thing they had. Still big enough for my maiden build. I had also asked for a 1 meter length and a half meter length, but they generously supplied me a 1200 and a 700. Oh well, was gonna need cutting anyway.
Last edited by Dez on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumb

Re: Backyard offset build.

Post by Gumb »

Hi Dez. Pics need to be uploaded to a site like photo bucket and then you paste the links in your post. Instructions are at the top of the welcome section.

Good luck with the build, we love seeing these new toys come alive! :)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good stuff Dez. You know we are going to be pestering you now till it's done! :D
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
yakabot

Backyard offset build.

Post by yakabot »

You posted this yesterday. Is it done yet?
:P :mrgreen:
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Are you going to have adjustable tuning plates in it?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

Next Cadel Evans in the background?
Dez

Post by Dez »

Thanks Urbangriller. Pestering is the only thing that gets me working according to missus, she aint pestering me on this job so I require a new source, haha.
Nearly done yakabot.. give me a few more minutes mate.
Adjustable tuning plates... hmm. Maybe?
Cadel in the background. Nah Id like him to be a butcher for selfish reasons. He seems sold on the idea. Most of my pics will either have my boys or my mutts in the background. They'll be the reason this build may take a bit longer.
Moving right along. Cut the smoker down to size and cut out the door.
Image Image
For this build, I will be only using an angle grinder and a dirty old arc welder. As my garage is ill equipped for this type of work. I'll use my mates oxy for a few small jobs. But hopefully it will display what can be done on a small budget with minimal tooling.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Cool!!!

Progress!

I love it!

Chris
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

This is already coming along so well! I look forward to seeing the progress on this Dez.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Are you just resting it on what I thought was gonna be the offset fire box to work on or is it gonna be more like the way it sits now when finished?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Dez

Post by Dez »

Yes. Just resting it on top of fire box to work on. As it turns out, there is a little bit involved with making things straight and level and even, when working with a round object.
Thanks Narmnaleg, hopefully things keep progressing quickly. I cant wait to cook on it already.
Image Image Image
Marking out the fire box door. Then just messing around, trying to work out heights of everything.
A quick trip down to the local steel shop and now I've got what I need to start welding. I also just bought some cast iron wheels off of ebay. Will have some pics of them when they arrive. In the mean time, I will build it on 4 legs, then cut 2 legs down to accept the wheels.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Full steam ahead Dez....good to see!

Chris
Dez

Post by Dez »

Certainly is full steam ahead Chris, thanks. I work a fly in fly out roster. So I'm trying to get as much done as possible before I have to fly out for work.
Got heaps done yesterday. It was a head down bum up type of day. So unfortunately I didn't take as many photos as I should of, sorry.
I oxy cut 2 of my circles into crescents, cut out a hole for the stack and cut out the fire box door. I'm already regretting my intake design choice. After reading what Chris has said about the air flow needing to come from below the fire. I've definitely failed in that respect. If it gives me any dramas, I guess I could build another door.
Image Image Image Image
The legs were easy. Did them by eye. Then I welded in the flat bar for the smokers door. Thats where I ran into some dramas.
Hard to describe, I'll try my best. As I was welding, the heat bowed the pipe in the middle and slightly stretched the pipe at the thin sections where the door has been cut out. What this means is the pipe is now slightly out of round and the profile of the door doesn't quite match.
So long story short. Steel is a very temperamental material to work with. Heat in moderation. But fortunately, steel is also very forgiving and can be manipulated to cover up mistakes. So with a bit of banging and grinding the door now fits. I decided to weld the ends on before welding in the other flat bar. Which kind of sucks, as now I wont have the access from the sides, but I didn't want to risk any further warping.
Thanks SilentBob. More pics coming.
That gas bottle in the background is strictly used for brewing beer and not cooking meat haha.
Last edited by Dez on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

Wow, this is coming along really quickly and already looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Dez

Post by Dez »

Man I wish I owned a mig welder. I've pumped about 3/4 of a box of rods into this thing now. And it is so much slower welding with stick. Good on windy days thats about it.
Image Image Image
This thing is really heavy now! Bring on the wheels.