Backyard offset build.

All about smokers hot and cold
Bear

Backyard offset build.

Post by Bear »

Detailed build threads are by far my favourite to follow, and this is no exception. Inspiring stuff Dez, thanks and well done. Makes sure you post plenty of cook results, and may that machine bring you many hours of bbq pleasure.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Dez

Re: Backyard offset build.

Post by Dez »

Thanks heaps guys. I'm glad to be able to give something back. I never would of taken it on if it wasn't for all the awesome information I've been able to source from this site. I've never cooked on one before so I've got a lot of learning to ahead of me.
I'm currently having a small fire in it. I couldn't wait to see how it runs. With a few small adjustments of the tuning plates I've managed to achieve this.
Hard to see in the reduced image, but it's very even.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Hehe, you have as much patience as me....none! I couldn't resist lighting it up either. The even temp looks great too but don't forget there's also a time when you want a hot end and a not so hot end so you can move the food around from the higher temp cooking area to a warming area. That's the versatility of these cookers but best of all, the satisfaction you must get from cooking on your own creation must be a great feeling.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Dez wrote:Thanks heaps guys. I'm glad to be able to give something back. I never would of taken it on if it wasn't for all the awesome information I've been able to source from this site. I've never cooked on one before so I've got a lot of learning to ahead of me.
I'm currently having a small fire in it. I couldn't wait to see how it runs. With a few small adjustments of the tuning plates I've managed to achieve this.
Hard to see in the reduced image, but it's very even.
Fantastic Dez, tuning plates are a good move and already you've seen the advantages of moving the heat around, like Gumb says, I use mine in different combinations to create different heat scenarios, they are great when you want even heat, and great on those occasions when you want a cool and a hot zone (most of the time for me).

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Dez

Post by Dez »

Very true Gumb and Chris, cheers. For some reason I got slightly obsessed with even temp in the smoker. Originally I wasn't even planning on fitting a tuning plate. I think mostly I wont use them, but I did get a kick out of having a play around. I have much to learn about fire control I found out also. Definitely gonna give it a few trial runs until I'm happy with my control over the temps. I'm getting ahead of myself already. Still work to be done. Will update in a week.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Dez wrote:Very true Gumb and Chris, cheers. For some reason I got slightly obsessed with even temp in the smoker. Originally I wasn't even planning on fitting a tuning plate. I think mostly I wont use them, but I did get a kick out of having a play around. I have much to learn about fire control I found out also. Definitely gonna give it a few trial runs until I'm happy with my control over the temps. I'm getting ahead of myself already. Still work to be done. Will update in a week.
You won't regret having movable tuning plates! Being able to move the heat around is a great thing!

Looking forward to next week!!

Chris
McGoo

Post by McGoo »

Dez wrote: The handle is just temporary. I am getting a nice piece of jarrah spun up to go in there. I'm aware the general consensus around here is to use a metal spring as wood will get dirty. But I like wood.
Be careful using a hardwood for a handle. Hardwood will absorb and reflect all the heat around it, softwood wont. When you build a sauna, you have to use clear wood that is free of knots because the knots will reflect the full temperature of the sauna back at your bare num, while the clear wood will feel cool. I would choose pine, fir, spruce, or similar for the handle. They stain quite well, and wont burn your hand.
Dez

Post by Dez »

Thanks McGoo, I didn't know that. I'm a bit committed to the jarrah now. So I guess I'll see how it goes. If it becomes an issue I will definitely take your advice and use a soft wood instead. I believe my old webers handle is a soft wood and it is still good after well over 10 years of being out in the weather.
Cheers.
Dez.
Mckimms

Post by Mckimms »

Awesome build!

Looking forward to seeing what delicious food comes out of this beast.
Becoming a vegetarian is a big missed steak
-Weber Family Q
-Weber Kettle
Do they sell wedding rings for BBQ's?
rusticsoul

Post by rusticsoul »

Looking good. Great to see so many builds on this site. Just love the inspiration and the smoker movement.
Dez

Post by Dez »

G'day. Haven't posted in a while due to having no time to work on the smoker. :cry:
Anyway, I had been deliberating whether or not I should get it sand blasted. I had a crack at sanding the rust off with a wire wheel on the angle grinder and soon made up my mind. It cost $120 to get it sand blasted. Worth every penny imo.
Here is how it now looks. Still have a bit of fab left. Then paint.
That's my bung. I chose against a fancy tap. Should work just as good.
Next post it should be finished. Then I guess I'll start a cook thread. I fear building this beast was the easy part.
Cheers.
Dez.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Can't wait for the paint!

Chris
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Yeah, put some clothes on that thing will ya ! :D :D
Dez

Post by Dez »

Ok. Finished off a few jobs. First coat of paint is on. 2nd will be done in the morning. Then she's done.
Image Image Image Image
Still waiting on the handle. But when I get back from work I'll be giving this thing a good run in.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Now that, is a thing of beauty. :!: