Aldi Gas Smoker - Flare up

All about smokers hot and cold
alokin123

Post by alokin123 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:01 pm

I had a flare up with the Aldi gas smoker the other week. What i did (and what i have done a few times without issue) was put some wood chips in an aluminium foil pouch, placed it in the smoker box and then placed a few wood chunks around the foil pouch and put the lid on. About an hour into the cook, i opened the door a noticed a strong flame coming from the smoker box which scared the %$^& of me. I had some cherry wood chips in the pouch and then some fruit wood chunks around it. I did have some red ironbark and some red gum chunks as well in the box. The lid on the smoker box wasnt quite flat either because of the shape of the chunks....

Just wondering if anyone could advise why it flared up? Could it have been the fact that the lid on the smoker box wasnt flat?

Is there another smoker box that can be used with the Aldi Smoker?

urbangriller

Re: Aldi Gas Smoker - Flare up

Post by urbangriller » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:11 pm

The lid is on the smoker box to choke the flame and make the wood smoulder. if it's not on properly.

Why are you using foil pouches in the woodchip box? It won't retard the smoking of either the woodchip or the chunks?

cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

alimac23

Post by alimac23 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 am

^^ agreed, the lid must fit on properly otherwise the chips / chunks will just catch fire and combust due to too much oxygen.

If you've got the smoker box don't worry about the foil, it's either or, not both.

food&fish

Post by food&fish » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:45 am

Effectively what you have done is make wood gas [in the war years they ran trucks on gas producers ] try having the smoker box a bit further away from the flame

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:07 am

I don't see it being a problem with the box or it being too close. These units are actually a hark smoker, just rebranded. I run one myself and not had any issues. Unless of course you have a faulty one.

As said it was a problem with the setup, allowing too much oxygen would have been the most likely cause. Also agree on the foil, not sure they reasoning for doing it but its not needed
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado

beachbums

Post by beachbums » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:59 am

I'm sure the guys above are on the money about the lid being open allowing in more air.

I disagree a bit with not using foil pouches as we sometimes go that way to keep the temp down. While it's true that the wood smoulders in the box it seems to us that the whole load smoulders and lifts the temp up plus lots of smoke. The ideal for me would be a "Chip Feeder" that could just add few at a time to get that thin stream of smoke................... hmmmmm................... pellets + gravity could be a mod coming up :-)

Cheers, Wayne and Jan

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:10 am

might keep an eye on that next time. I have never notice a temp rise when I have added new chips. but then again wasn't really looking for it.

Worth a bit of a look see

alokin123

Post by alokin123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:46 pm

thanks for the tips guys. I read a few people saying that using woodchips in this smoker caused flareups and chunks worked better but since i have a whole bag of woodchips i tried to play it safe and made a foil pouch. So i should be able to mix the wood chips and chunks without the need for a pouch?

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:07 am

I have used nothing but chips and not had what you had. I am 100% convinced it was the lid not being secured properly and not the wood.

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 am

I must admit I'm not convinced by the lid theory. I never had a fire in there and was never careful with the lid... I'd be checking that there isn't a problem (such as a micro hole) on the base of the pan.

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 am

is definitely another thing to check, would be pretty easy to check too. The main reason I think its the lid is that this issue would happen if the lid wasn't on right(ish) and as he stated that it wasn't I connected dots.

Always pays to be thorough, be interesting to see anyway as I have the same. Could be handy should this happen to me as well

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:25 am

Re-reading the OP, that is quite a lot of big wood in the smoker box. Something has made it catch fire. Is it dangerous?...I doubt it. The question is why?
What heat setting was the burner on?
Wood will start to smoulder at 250C and ignite at 275ish

My bet is the chips in the pouch are gasifying and releasing woodgas which flames as it leaves the pouch and has contact with oxygen, this starts the wood chunks burning.

Have a look at this and imagine the Can is the pouch of woodchips:

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

peteru

Post by peteru » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm

You still had the drip pan above the woodbox, right? Because otherwise you could get fat dripping down and igniting.

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:06 pm

peteru wrote:You still had the drip pan above the woodbox, right? Because otherwise you could get fat dripping down and igniting.
Good point!

gnol

Post by gnol » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:40 pm

This happened to me once when I was smoking some bellies. These ones were rindless and I was using charcoal and hickory chips. I wasn't using the water container thingy and the fat started to melt and started dripping on the charcoal.
Got to it just in time. I noticed the temp shooting up on the maverick and opened the door. Whoa! Fire. Used a fire blanket to put it out and went back to work. As you can see the bellies down the bottom did get a bit charred on the outside but the insides were all good.
I think at that stage I was more concerned with saving the bacon than the house. :?

Remember people. We are cooking with fire so always keep a close eye on whatever you are doing. I don't want to state the obvious but a fire blanket, fire extinguisher close at hand is always a must.
Even the hose on standby close by is a good idea. After my brewstand caught fire one day I always keep the hose close by whenever fire is involved.

Probably not a good idea to have a full gas bottle so close to a heat source. As you can see this could have turned out to be a total disaster. That is why I am always keeping a very close eye on things when cooking.