My Pro Q Elite 20 Adventure

All about smokers hot and cold
urbangriller

Re: My Pro Q Elite 20 Adventure

Post by urbangriller »

Yes Yes Yes...that looks Great! really versatile BBQ for such a small footprint!

Great Work!!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

Really enjoying it still some teething issues with how much charcoal lit and unlit to use at the start to get it up to temp before stabilising it I seem to play catch up by having to add lump to it then open both doors to get it fired up then close it all down but hey its all a learning curve isn't it. If anyone can offer any advice in regard to setting it up with lump I'm all ears. At the moment I run a horse shoe of lump around the basket then add a chimney of lit charcoal into the middle but I'm starting to think I may need to add another 1 or a half a chimney again to it to get the heat right up there and I'm also assuming that the heat would depend on how much water I have in the water pan ie the more water the more fuel burned less water less fuel burned to reached desired temps.

I'll add the third stacker and the roti attachment to it shortly that will be fun cant wait.

Steaksy
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

How many Kgs was the Lamb?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Steaksy wrote:Really enjoying it still some teething issues with how much charcoal lit and unlit to use at the start to get it up to temp before stabilising it I seem to play catch up by having to add lump to it then open both doors to get it fired up then close it all down but hey its all a learning curve isn't it. If anyone can offer any advice in regard to setting it up with lump I'm all ears. At the moment I run a horse shoe of lump around the basket then add a chimney of lit charcoal into the middle but I'm starting to think I may need to add another 1 or a half a chimney again to it to get the heat right up there and I'm also assuming that the heat would depend on how much water I have in the water pan ie the more water the more fuel burned less water less fuel burned to reached desired temps.

I'll add the third stacker and the roti attachment to it shortly that will be fun cant wait.

Steaksy
That method is OK, What charcoal are you using? and are you using a Heat Beads chimney? or another one?...the HB one is bigger than most.

Cheers
Chris
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

That method is OK, What charcoal are you using? and are you using a Heat Beads chimney? or another one?...the HB one is bigger than most.

Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Using gidgee charcoal and yeah pretty sure it is the HB Chimney got it from Barbecues Galore if I remember correctly, seems im on the right track i'll just keep plugging away at it.

Steaksy
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

A couple of shots from my Mothers Day cook on the Pro Q Excel 20. Up at 3.30am to prep a 4.5kg Cape Grim Brisket and a 2kg Bangalow Pork Shoulder after a rub and injection both cuts went in the smoker by 4.30am with black wattle chunks for smoke and gidgee charcoal for heat. Took the brisket to 195f and the pork to 203f the Pro Q sat nicely around the 230f mark for the whole cook, 12 hours for the brisket and 11hours for the pork. After they came out I threw on a couple of ducks that I brined in Shaynes recipe on the rotisserie and cooked them over the coals. Whilst having a shower before dinner a family member thought theyd be doing me a favour by putting the lid on whilst the ducks were rotating....big mistake luckily I got back in time and they were only slightly darkened but cooked up beautifully. The brisket is by far the best brisket I've cooked to date.
ImageImage

Cheers for reading
Steaksy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Superb......that's a lunch I'd love to be at. :)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

+1

I'll bet Mum was happy!

Chris
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

Mum and the wife were stoked with the dinner I served up, best bit I'm still eating leftovers!

2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Great stuff Steaksy

Interested - did you need to top up fuel during the cook ? I have the frontier, and with a full basket of lump (tried various varieties) i generally need to refuel after 6 hours (and top up waterpan)

12hrs - I'd like to be able to do that.
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

2browndogs wrote:Great stuff Steaksy

Interested - did you need to top up fuel during the cook ? I have the frontier, and with a full basket of lump (tried various varieties) i generally need to refuel after 6 hours (and top up waterpan)

12hrs - I'd like to be able to do that.
2browndogs yes mate I did have to top up the fuel and water pan at about the 6 hour mark mate, I probably put in about another half a basket of medium sized lump chunks on top of the existing coals because I needed to keep the fuel up because I then used the rotisserie straight after it so it pretty much sat at 230f the whole cook till I took the meats out and changed over to the rotisserie. If I wasn't using the roti I would of only thrown in maybe a quarter of a basket at most that usually holds it steady enough to finish off a 12 hour cook for me I don't mind if the temp starts to drop after 10hours or so theres usually enough heat to finish off the last couple of degree's in the meat you're looking for by then.

Steaksy
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

cheers steaksy
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

A couple of very big racks of porkies I did last night love the mahogany finish something I've been trying to perfect lately by trialling a few different rub combinations
ImageImage

Cheers
Steaksy

Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

Just to give you some idea of how big they were, 2 racks just fitted onto the rack in the Pro Q Excel 20

Steaksy

2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

wow those ribs look awesome - one for the recipe section i reckon 8)