First cook tomorrow

All about smokers hot and cold
HannibalK1ng

First cook tomorrow

Post by HannibalK1ng »

So seasoned my offset smoker last night (chargriller with side fire box) and tomorrow will be the first time i cook on it.

the misses went to costco and got 2 racks of pork spare ribs (1.2kg and 1.6kg) and 1.5kg pork neck from Tasman meats.

I will rub them both tonight and stick them in the fridge.

Tomorrow i will fire up the smoker and try to keep it between 225f to 250f.

I will be doing 3-2-1 method on the ribs so that will take me around 6 hours.

With the pork im planning smoke till it stalls or hits 160f and wrap in foil till internal of 190-200f

Think i should put on the pork 1 hours before the ribs or more?

Any other advice?

Thanks!
Gumb

Re: First cook tomorrow

Post by Gumb »

It's a good idea putting the pork on an hour early. If it gets to the stall early, just leave it sitting there until you want to wrap it. The longer its at the temperature where the collagens begin to break down, the better. And if it's all finished early, sitting in an esky double wrapped in foil (and a good splash of apple juice splashed in) with towels taking up the extra space is good for it. It can sit in there for 3-4 hours if necessary and will still come out piping hot.
HannibalK1ng

Post by HannibalK1ng »

So I've been cooking for about an hour. Took a while to get the temp up and stable.

Seems to be going to 225-240ish without touching it.

Should I only be adding wood chuncks every hour or when the smoke dies down.
The pieces I'm adding are only lasting about 30 min
Transplant BBQer

Post by Transplant BBQer »

you wont want to keep adding chunks or you will over smoke the meat. After around the first 2 hours you have all the smoke you need, more smoke will make the meat take on bad taste.

Jeff