My woodfired smoker I smoke whole pig in it

All about smokers hot and cold
Mountain Mick

My woodfired smoker I smoke whole pig in it

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Guys I'm only new , but I though I would share one of my smoker with you all, this My woodfired smoker which I smoke whole pig in it.
I have designed and make this one about 5 years ago. and it work very well. it take about 14 hour to smoke a whole pig around 40 to 50 kgs.

no fire under hog just a small smoke fire at one end I used Hickory and Iornbark to smoke, this was for a wedding party for 69 people.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: My woodfired smoker I smoke whole pig in it

Post by Davo »

Wow Mountain Mick, that is a great looking smoker and that pig won't be doing anymore Oinking either :lol:

Welcome to the Aussie BBQ forum, where abouts are you from?

Please write about yourself in the Welcome section, we'd love to hear more about you and your BBQ's. I do detect an accent so are you in Australia or in another country? If so, tell us about your BBQ culture.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

MM do you pre burn your wood to coals and then add? How many time will you have to add in that 14 hour period?

Welcome to the site!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Mountain Mick

Top smoker.........it looks like your another one of those talanted guys who dont need shops for Bbq's......just a grinder & welder.....some steel....ect...ect

Welcome to the the site

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Davo, ..

Yes I will get around to the welcome page a.s.a.p next day or so, I'm Ozzie, and my wife is European (Austrian/Germany)

Mick
Davo wrote:Wow Mountain Mick, that is a great looking smoker and that pig won't be doing anymore Oinking either :lol:

Welcome to the Aussie BBQ forum, where abouts are you from?

Please write about yourself in the Welcome section, we'd love to hear more about you and your BBQ's. I do detect an accent so are you in Australia or in another country? If so, tell us about your BBQ culture.

Cheers

Davo
Image Image
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Bentley,

I use about 2 to 3 wheelbarrows full of cut moist timber to smoke a whole pig, a few pieces each 15 to 30 minutes you must watch the coals like a hawk as you want a little heat , smoke and not to much flame. and only use a bag of BBQ bricks to start the fire box and wait until the flame are gone and only coals are left and start the moist timber then. I normally end up smelling like a smoke ham by the end of a 14 hour smoking. but my wife love it,
Bentley wrote:MM do you pre burn your wood to coals and then add? How many time will you have to add in that 14 hour period?

Welcome to the site!
Image Image
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi bbqmad,

Yes I guess that some people do have a gift in making things from junk, give my and old oil drum and I can cook a pig in it, My late Dad would tell me when I was a young boy that the world is full of two different people "doer's and Gunner's" and I had to make up my own mind which one I want to be I think I choose to be a Doer like my dad, ,

But I do like gadgets and I don't mind some store bought BBQ/smoker. Like Traeger's and Harks , but if I get a close enough look at the working of it I can make it for myself out of junk. and scrap metal. I'm working on a pellet feeder for one of my drum smoker right now,

My dad smokehouse was four steel fence post in the ground with a few sapling tied around the top with a few over the top and wet potato bag on top and hang down the sides with sawdust on the floor and hams hang from the top cross sticks and this would smoulder for about a week and we would have yummy hams,

So I guess monkey see monkey do.
bbqmad wrote:Mountain Mick

Top smoker.........it looks like your another one of those talanted guys who dont need shops for Bbq's......just a grinder & welder.....some steel....ect...ect

Welcome to the the site

Glen
Image Image
Snab

Post by Snab »

One word: AWESOME
Turkeys were meant to be the dominant species on Earth, but God made 'em too delicious