Which smoker gas coolabah(hark) or masterbuilt electric

All about smokers hot and cold
roosterman

Post by roosterman »

Hi guys, been browsing site and bugger me if im not salivating an dribbling looking at all the awesome cookups you guys are doing :)
I am looking to spoil myself with a decent smoker and am not sure which to get. I got a gas aldi coolabah/hark couple days ago but am thinking the electric masterbuilt may be easier to use. I want easiest to use and any other options considered and looking at up to $600 spend if its gonna be best to use. I have used those small alcohol/metho shoebox ones to do fish and small cuts over the yrs but are a pain to use and with all the long work hours ive done lately im gonna spoil myself and hopefully family benefits too :).
Love the site so far..
Cheers...steve....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Last edited by roosterman on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talisker63

Which smoker gas coolabah(hark) os masterbuilt electric

Post by talisker63 »

Get a weber kettle from gumtree or the side of the road hard rubbish collection.

Best place to start I reckon
peteru

Re: Which smoker gas coolabah(hark) os masterbuilt electric

Post by peteru »

If your main criteria is ease of use, then a well insulated electric smoker with a thermostat is your best bet.

I've got a Coolabah (Aldi branded Hark) gas smoker and while it's easier to work than a charcoal burner, it still requires a fair bit of your attention. A good electric smoker will be more versatile and should allow you to cold smoke things like salmon and cheese.

Post by beachbums »

HIya Steve, Welcome to the board. From what I have seen, the electrics are pretty set and forget. If that's what you're after then worth looking at them.
We have a Hark smoker and I have to say that I love it. Doesn't need all that much tending apart from adding smoke wood as needed. Here's a link to soem of our cooks on it ........ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7194&p=96176&hilit= ... ark#p96176

God luck and great BBQ's with whatever you end up with.

Cheers, Wayne
roosterman

Which smoker gas coolabah(hark) os masterbuilt electric

Post by roosterman »

Thx for the replies and welcome guys.
As said i want to get most user friendly one as set and forget as can have.
I know i will need to baste etc but not keen on having to fart aroung getting temps right as thats what stops me using current crappy ones.
Looking at the hark electric or masterbuilt, masterbuilt looks beter but i have no idea really so any thoughts on why i should chose one over other greatly apreciated.
Im gonna steal my daughters bib so when i look here i dont dribble like a goose over my workshirt at all that awesome food . Lol.
Thx again.
Cheers...steve...

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hark Electric/Masterbuilt....Same/Same
You can't cold smoke in an electric smoker, they produce too huch heat, even in the lowest setting.
The joy of electric is you can leave them running, I'd never do that with gas!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
kbee60

Post by kbee60 »

Hi Roosterman

I have a Masterbuilt Electric and couldn't be happier with it. If set and forget is what you are after, they are perfect

Cheers
Kym
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

I have a Masterbuilt electric and it is pretty much set and forget, just verify the temp it reads with another temp probe and adjust the programmed temp to suit.

I also cold smoke cheese in it using an A-Maze-N pellet/tube smoker. Don't bother setting a temp/time and it works a treat.

Saying that. Given the choice I always smoke on one of my Weber kettles whenever i can. :)

Where are you located?

Ken
Ken
roosterman

Post by roosterman »

kendoll wrote:I have a Masterbuilt electric and it is pretty much set and forget, just verify the temp it reads with another temp probe and adjust the programmed temp to suit.

I also cold smoke cheese in it using an A-Maze-N pellet/tube smoker. Don't bother setting a temp/time and it works a treat.

Saying that. Given the choice I always smoke on one of my Weber kettles whenever i can. :)

Where are you located?

Ken
Ken i am located on sydneys northern beaches.
what makes you choose the weber over the masterbuilt ?

thx for the replies guys..
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

roosterman wrote:Ken i am located on sydneys northern beaches.

I think it is just the feeling of cooking with solid fuels. :)

The Masterbuilt is very reliable and with the addition of the A-Maze-N smokers the biggest gripe (lack of smoke, costant adding of wood chips) is alleviated. It can take a little bit of fidling to get the A-Maze-N going, but once it is, sleeping soundly follows. :)

If I want to do a worry free overnight I use the MB, if I don't mind getting up a couple of times from paranoia then I go with the Weber.

I just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain so looking forward to trying that too.

When are you thinking of buying?

Ken
Ken
roosterman

Post by roosterman »

kendoll wrote:
roosterman wrote:Ken i am located on sydneys northern beaches.

I think it is just the feeling of cooking with solid fuels. :)

The Masterbuilt is very reliable and with the addition of the A-Maze-N smokers the biggest gripe (lack of smoke, costant adding of wood chips) is alleviated. It can take a little bit of fidling to get the A-Maze-N going, but once it is, sleeping soundly follows. :)

If I want to do a worry free overnight I use the MB, if I don't mind getting up a couple of times from paranoia then I go with the Weber.

I just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain so looking forward to trying that too.

When are you thinking of buying?

Ken
ok so from yr reply i see guys complain about having to load chips all time in long cookups in mb ??
yeh i like the idea of that amaze thing and gives option of cold smoke.
looking to buy when i can decide which one but dont wanna rush and regret not getting one over other..
was also contemplating the WSM as thats prob best kettle type to get i gather....
missed out on the mistygully 40" mb dented ones and now they are not shipping for few weeks.
i was considering bringing one in myself but not sure on how difficult converting to 240v would be but benefit of newer model than misty are selling.
good luck with the WSM..
cheers....steve.....
roosterman

Post by roosterman »

I might be ordering tomorrow arvo and get the masterbuilt unless i change my mind and get a wsm which knowing my indecisive nature is possible.
I posted a shopping list topic earlier and no replies so will ask here.
Smoking fish mainly, roo and pig from mates property along with stuff from butcher.
What things do you suggest i get to help with cookups?
Also what woods/pellets etc do you reccomend.
Also my mate can supply me from his timber yard all i want so what timber should i ask him to bring home to chip up commonly in timber yards ?
Alot of Q's but hopefully i can get this all sorted and start getting some cookups happenig soon and share my experiances :)

Cheers...steve....