Review - Dusty Moose 43cm Charcoal Smoker - A smoker made for Australians

All about smokers
Sarcastic_Smoker

Review - Dusty Moose 43cm Charcoal Smoker - A smoker made for Australians

Post by Sarcastic_Smoker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:41 pm

G'day. I'm going to give my review of a smoker I've just purchased which is the Dusty Moose Charcoal Smoker. I'm an Amateur Smoker and this is my first BBQ I've bought, just fyi. Why am I reviewing this? Because it's very new to the market and I want to give my honest opinion on this big boy.

Here's their website.
23846455_1509947162394107_433124774_n.jpg
23846455_1509947162394107_433124774_n.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 314 times
What is it? What's the story?

A charcoal smoker of course! 43cm. Made by (I believe) a couple of Aussies in QLD. The people behind the Dusty Moose spent a few years over in the US and when they came back to Australia they felt that our options were over priced for what you received so they've gone and designed their own. Read their About Us section for a more detailed story.

What does it feature?

The features are already listed on the website, but I'll sort through and list what I feel are the key features

1,295cm2 of cooking space across two levels
Porcelain enamel water bowl
Sturdy, high quality construction backed by 1yr replacement warranty
Vertically hinged steel door for ease of access to water bowl and charcoal
Top & bottom air vents for precise temperature control
Built in thermometer
PVC cover included
24008683_1509947152394108_129545878_n.jpg
24008683_1509947152394108_129545878_n.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 314 times
What do I like about it?

It cooks meat, pretty well too! Yum! Seriously tho, It seems to hold temperature well. It has a sturdy, solid design that weighs in at 16.5kg. It water pan is large which means less worry about refilling water. The air vents work as intended and it's thermometer seems rather accurate. (Though you should always use your own digital thermometer ;) ) The door is handy for the most part, it lets you add more fuel, top up the water pan and check out the meat on the bottom grill without the need to open the entire smoker. Overall it works, and does it's job well.

What didn't I like?

The instructions weren't as clear as I liked. With a little bit of guess work you could figure it out yourself but still I found needing to view their installation video, which is just a film of a fellow installing it but sped up. The side door doesn't close perfectly leaving a 1-1.5cm gap at the top. This doesn't seem to have much effect on the temperature but that might be an issue for some. One of the clips on my smoker doesn't actually clip. I've been told you just need to fiddle with the positioning of the top part in relation to the bottom and it'll work but I shouldn't need to do that. Two clips still work fine tho. Perhaps I screwed them on poorly tho.

Final thoughts

This is honestly an awesome starter smoker. Fair priced and I believe slightly bigger then the ProQ and Forentto. Also $15 dollars cheaper. In the end it comes down to quality and design. Apart from the two points I made in my dislikes, I would say this is in fact a good quality smoker made from good materials. The design is different from the ProQ/Fornetto. They favour stacking levels while the Dusty Moose is three solid pieces. This is because the Dusty Moose isn't trying to be a ProQ/Forn, it is in fact trying to be a Weber. Personally I prefer the Dusty Moose in terms of looks but design wise it's all up to preference. As far a I can tell the Moose is designed by a couple of Aussies, and despite the smoker being made in China, you would be supporting an Australian company, if that's your kinda thing.

So far I've cooked two things. One brisket and a couple of chicken breasts wrapped in bacon. Going to have a go at another brisket tomorrow. If you got any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. In saying that email the people at Dusty Moose as they are very helpful and very chatty. Which is awesome and the main reason I now own one.

Cheers

12x7

Re: Review - Dusty Moose 43cm Charcoal Smoker - A smoker made for Australians

Post by 12x7 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:07 am

Great write-up

Post some photos of the cooks.

What fuel are you using? Heat beads, Kingston, red heads.

Sarcastic_Smoker

Post by Sarcastic_Smoker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:37 pm

12x7 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:07 am
Great write-up

Post some photos of the cooks.

What fuel are you using? Heat beads, Kingston, red heads.
HI, thanks! :)

I'm not much of a photo my food guy haha, so ain't got anything to show sorry.

I was using Heat Beads Coconut Shell Charcoal and then switch to a cheaper alternative, can't remember it's name. Prefer the Coconut Shell tbh. Seemed to get hotter quicker and stay warm for longer.

Sarcastic_Smoker

Post by Sarcastic_Smoker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 am

Anyone know how to edit a Post. I labelled this smoker as 43cm. It's 47!