Efficient smoking

All about smokers
donetski_87

Efficient smoking

Post by donetski_87 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm

G'day all,

First post here.

Recently got into the science that is BBQ and have invested in a ProQ Excel 20 Elite. I am just starting to get my head around keeping a stable temp but I seem to be going through a lot of fuel to cook a small amount of meat.

So far I have only been using the top stacker i.e having the smoker completely assembled (two tiers) but only using the top grill.

First question is if I am only using one grill should I remove the top stacker and just use the grill directly over the water pan? Would this in theory save my fuel purely because there is less of a surface area to heat?

Also If I want to cook on both stackers for are there any tips in terms of which type of meat goes where, what meats shouldn't be cooked together and fuel arrangements? I gave it a half hearted crack when I first bought the smoker but failed miserably as the meat I put on seemed to sap all the heat and I could get it back up to cook temp before the fuel ran out. I think this is what scared me off.

I use Kingsford original briquettes and have only tried the minion method so far. Was considering giving the snake a crack to get a longer low and slow cook temp.

Any advice on any of these points would be welcomed as I feel I have invested in a great piece of kit but am not using it to its full potential.

Cheers,
Dan.