REDHEAD CHARCOAL

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Davo
Forum Administrator

REDHEAD CHARCOAL

Post by Davo »

From the company who makes REDHEAD matches, they are now selling their Tubed charcoal in BUNNINGS stores and from what I've tried so far,it it seems to do a reasonable job.
I think it's made in Malaysia and uses Malaysian wood and it's shaped like thick tubes which is good in a way because they are roughly the same size which is not apparent to lump charcoal which are different sizes.
They burn very hot and they burn for a good amount of time for grilling up a decent batch of food but haven't yet tried it for low and slow.

It's about $8.60 for a 4kg bag which is not exactly cheap but at least it's another alternative than Heatbeads (not that theres anything wrong with Heatbeads). I'll certainly buy this product again as I reckon it's pretty well ok.

It'd be good if Heatbeads company could do a real lump charcoal as well as their briquettes.

Maybe if more companies make true charcoal then it could inspire other companies to bring it to the market.First we need to get more people out of Gassers and back to the basics...charcoal BBQs.....mmmm I think that could take a while. :?

Anyway, just a short reveiw on REDHEAD charcoal...give it a go!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I didn't mind the lump charcoal in the 3kg box as it burnt hot but it didn't last long and I found I had to top up a couple of times wheres the Redheads burn hot but seem to keep going and going.
I presently mix most of lump charcoal 50/50 with heatbeads mainly due to the expense of charcoal.
It's good that Bunnings are keeping a few brands going, but they don't seem to hold the original Heatbeads in stock. Bunnings stock heaps of the self lighting briquettes(yellow bag) but not the Red bag.

I heard that the lump charcoal with the BGE ( Big Green Egg) on it, is very good stuff. It ain't cheap at $40 for a 10 kg (22lb)bag.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Strider

Re: REDHEAD CHARCOAL

Post by Strider »

Don't know if this stuff is any good, but noticed its on special for $5 for a 3kg box at Woolies at the moment.
Carne Amante

Post by Carne Amante »

Grabbed a couple of these at Woolies during the week after I saw the $3 per box heads up here on the forum.

From the shape of it, I take it this is the stuff everyone here calls Robot Turds?

Haven't tried it yet. Will be my first go at charcoal.

Says on my boxes 'Product of Indonesia', rather than Malaysia.

Maybe it was an Indonesian robot. :shock:

Carne.
Fire in the bowl
Meat in the belly
is good for the soul
and better than the telly
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

This is an old thread. There's already a new one running on this subject here....

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=10292
talisker63

REDHEAD CHARCOAL

Post by talisker63 »

Not in Melbourne.
$7.95 for a 3kg box at Woolies
Strider

REDHEAD CHARCOAL

Post by Strider »

Yes I know it's an old thread. But what's the point having multiple threads on the one topic?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I've been using the Redheads Charcoal in BBQ School for a year now, it's great, we always light a tube next to a tube of beads to show the guys how much hotter it is and how, it gets up to speed in just over half the time!

It's a great charcoal, leaves very little ash, burns well and lights quick!

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Strider

Post by Strider »

urbangriller wrote:I've been using the Redheads Charcoal in BBQ School for a year now, it's great, we always light a tube next to a tube of beads to shor the guys how much hotter it is and how, it gets up to speed in just over half the time!

It's a great charcoal, leaves very little ash, burns well and lichts quick!

Cheers
Chris
I'm new to all this, but stocked up on Heat Beads with the recent Woolies special. Once they're gone, and I've got my technique down pat, I might give this charcoal a go :)
sydking

Post by sydking »

This is the only charcoal ive used so far, Never a problem with it yet.
meatnveg

Post by meatnveg »

just a headsup grabbed some at coles today $5:50 a box not a huge saving but a saving nonetheless
Wobblyman

Post by Wobblyman »

I've not seen these before, but today on 'special' at Coles / Woolworths (can't remember which one) - but for $10.90 for the box. Judging by this list, it's not exactly special, but i might give them a try, or use one each cook to speed up the process.