Moldy Charcoal

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
kendoll

Moldy Charcoal

Post by kendoll »

Hi All,

Just bought a box of charcoal and opened it up to find that it is a bit damp inside and the charcoal seems to have mould on it.

Is this safe to use? Just make sure that all of the charcoal has ashed over before putting the food on? Or is it best left alone (returned)?

Cheers,

Ken
Ken
BBQ Maxy

Re: Moldy Charcoal

Post by BBQ Maxy »

Hi, I wouldn't use it I would return it, mouldy charcoal is strange, as it is a pure product unless it is some thing like the Redheads manifactured stuff, wey charcoal won't give you thr heat you need also will spit so small pieces may fly out of a open BBQ.
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

BBQ Maxy wrote:Hi, I wouldn't use it I would return it, mouldy charcoal is strange, as it is a pure product unless it is some thing like the Redheads manifactured stuff, wey charcoal won't give you thr heat you need also will spit so small pieces may fly out of a open BBQ.
Thanks mate. That's what I was thinking but had read some people say it will be okay once ashed over.

Decided just to use the briquettes.

Ken
Ken
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

Hey Ken, can I ask you where you got it from? The reason I ask is becuase I got a box of charcoal which had mould on it, not heaps but some spot mould on the bits on the top. The charcoal was in a plastic bag in a box so I just put it down to being a bit of moisture during packing (for various reasons) and didn't give it a second thought. Still cooks good, it's not moist, that's a load of Ka Ka and the mould hasn't done me any harm....

hasn't done me any harm

hasn't done.....me....any harm...
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

Flippo wrote:Hey Ken, can I ask you where you got it from? The reason I ask is becuase I got a box of charcoal which had mould on it, not heaps but some spot mould on the bits on the top. The charcoal was in a plastic bag in a box so I just put it down to being a bit of moisture during packing (for various reasons) and didn't give it a second thought. Still cooks good, it's not moist, that's a load of Ka Ka and the mould hasn't done me any harm....

hasn't done me any harm

hasn't done.....me....any harm...
Hey mate. Yeah the stuff i got was in a plastic bag (in a box) too. There was obvious moisture in it too.

Haven't returned it yet but it was a 'brazilian Charcoal' from Haverick's Meats in Sydney.

Tempted to try it.

Ken
Ken
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

kendoll wrote:Haven't returned it yet but it was a 'brazilian Charcoal' from Haverick's Meats in Sydney.

Ken
How much did it set you back from Havericks? I go there for the Saturday BBQs and love their little setup.
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

TheOtherLeft wrote:
kendoll wrote:Haven't returned it yet but it was a 'brazilian Charcoal' from Haverick's Meats in Sydney.

Ken
How much did it set you back from Havericks? I go there for the Saturday BBQs and love their little setup.
It was $20. Yeah the bbq they do is quite nice. Vic's Meats do it too but i dont think it is free (could be wrong as i have never actually asked for any).

Ken
Ken
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

kendoll wrote:
TheOtherLeft wrote:

Ken
It was $20. Yeah the bbq they do is quite nice. Vic's Meats do it too but i dont think it is free (could be wrong as i have never actually asked for any).

Ken
Was it 10kg?
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

TheOtherLeft wrote:Was it 10kg?
It was indeed. have you used it before?

Ken
Ken
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

That's the same stuff that I got, except I got it from A & S Meats over at Mascot, was $20 too. It doesn't seem too bad
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

Flippo wrote:That's the same stuff that I got, except I got it from A & S Meats over at Mascot, was $20 too. It doesn't seem too bad
There seems to be a lot of small dots of mould on a lot of the peices. The bag was quite moist inside.

You still not feeling any side effects? :)

How is A&E meats? Have you been to Vic's, Est 218 or Haverick's? If so how does A&S compare?

Ken
Ken
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

I haven't tried their charcoal but it's tempting.

I've been to Haverick's and Est 218:

- Est 218 has nicer pork chops compared to Havericks.
- Haverick's has better chicken then Est 281.
- Both have good beef/lamb.
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

No side effects to speak of at the moment and used it twice over the weekend. There's a few annoying big lumps in there but I just knock them with a hammer and chisel and it breaks them down into better size pieces.

Cooked a lovely 3.5Kg piece of chuck last Thursday over 12 hrs in the WSM. Bloody magnificent it was. Really feel after having it for 12 months I've only just started to nail stuff, this piece being the best so far.

Anyway, back on topic. I've shopped at 218 a couple of times. I've found the quality of the meat there to be top notch. I don't find it majorly cheaper than anywhere else but the quality you get for the price is really quite good
I've not shopped at Havericks or Vics, not sure why, well yes I am. I've always been afforded great service and had really good quality meat from A & S so I pretty much keep going back there. They shift alot of meat so it's always fresh, they'll sort you out with anything you need and they have quite possibly the cheapest lamb cutlets in the entire universe. Regularly under $30/kg, and good size ones too not those piddly scrawny ones that look like they've been hacked straight off a new born lamb.
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

I went to A&S today after I tried going to Vic's but was closed.

They had the Brazilian charcoal there. I was very tempted but have leftover South African charcoal I need to go through first.

If possible can you take a piccie of the Brazalian charcoal please. How big are the pieces?

Thanks.
trentski

Post by trentski »

I've had that brazilian charcoal down here in Melbourne, it was wet inside the plastic but no mould. I let it dry out and I thought it was good burning, just expensive