Ribs in Brisbane?

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Spode

Ribs in Brisbane?

Post by Spode »

Does anyone know where I can get really good meaty ribs in Brisbane? The ones I find tend to either be shiners or really small.
bbqmad

Re: Ribs in Brisbane?

Post by bbqmad »

No but if you find some let me know, seriously though i find its a real hit & miss situation you find some now and again then when you go back to the same butcher there a waste of time there just doesn't seem to be anywhere consistent.

I had the manager at superbutcher (calm down kev...take it easy i'm not powered by them :lol: ) get me the best pork ribs i've ever had in my life put in a monthly permanent order only to be handed pathetic skinny ribs next time.......which got handed straight back.

And incase your reading this D---- wheres the phone call i had to chase you every time, gave you 2 x buiss cards and you have never rang me.......obviously some people get life to easy.

There has to be butcher in Qld that looks on this site that knows what we want, i know we have a member on here Marty but i think your way down south arn't you mate!

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Are you guys "telling" you meat man about this site?
I do, But they are set in there ways :roll:
Spode, Its a game mate, You have to "Pop" into that place you always drove past and have a look and a talk.
I had one butcher at Tweed Hights tell me he could get me Pork neck for $7 a kilo, I siad great Get me $40 worth, Left my Mobile, Never got a cal.
Its got to a point that Im not now loyal to any butcher. I shop around and pick up what I think is a bargin.
You also might try beef ribs (Look just like pork ribs only meatier)
easier to cook and IMO taste better.
Beef ribs:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
imarty

Post by imarty »

Yep Glen, down south but not actually on the tools any more, still in the industry though.
The reason the ribs get so "skinny" is they are created by boning out the loin (into loin steaks ) & sometrimes belly (into spareribs or rashers).

Butchers when they bone any meat, leave as much meat on the "meat" and as little on the bone as possible so as to minimise waste.
Loin and belly are generally sold at a higher price than ribs.

My best advice is to talk to your butcher and tell him (or her) exactly what you want.
Don't leave your number and ask him to ring you. They don't have time. Hell I work in the industry and deal with butchers Australia wide everyday, and it is so hard to get them to return calls let alone keep up with technology and getting on the interwebs and stuff!

Option 1 to get meatier ribs is buy belly spare ribs cut between the bones and not through the bandsaw. Very meaty though maybe not what you're used to. Talk to your butcher.

Option 2 Go to an asian butcher and ask for ribs. They "get" the meatier bone = better experience.

Option 3 Talk to your butcher.

Good luck!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Fair cop, But he did ask me for the number and said he will call when he gets them in, Ill send a mate of mine named "Budda" to "Jog" his lousey memory :lol:
The butcher at Terranora sometimes drops off my order on his way home from work. So One is customer focused and the other is not.
Hey, We are all busy,
Getting back to my main point, It pays to shop around,, No, Stop at that place you have being eyeing off and go in, Talk to the guy with the boning knife and see what he can do.
If no joy, Then try the next.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Spode,

mate, i agree with bbqmad that the soooper butch place is a hit and miss when it comes to ribs, had similar experiance with them......

for a more consistant meaty spare check out your local smallgoods place.... one that comes to mind is ADAMS SMALLGOODS at carol park....
another is that place i tried to remember the name of on old cleveland rd and boundary rd out-bound at camp hill....bedrock do an almost fine rack........the asian butchers i used to go to at darra dont do american spares.....but i think if you check out one of the butchers in inala civic centre in the old qhs part of the plaza, they, from what i have heard do a fine spare......

north-side ?? sorry can't help you with that.. :(

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
imarty

Post by imarty »

Northside, try Gilly's Smallgoods
16 Oasis Court
Clontarf QLD 4019
p: 07 3283 5433
They may be able to help you???
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Smoky Mick wrote:You also might try beef ribs (Look just like pork ribs only meatier)
easier to cook and IMO taste better
Spode this is good advise....give em a try, i picked some beef ribs up from gunn boys underwood.....cut too short but full of meat, havn't tried them yet sitting in the freezer.

Driving through same area last week thought i'll call in pick sum more up looked at the beef ribs :shock: thought i was in different shop just bones & gristle and every one covered in there tacky sugary marinade........so even with beef it just luck of the draw......keep looking, when you get good uns they taste excellent i usualy smoke mine with a bit of mesquite goes well with the beef.

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Some Dude

Post by Some Dude »

Commander Cody wrote:another is that place i tried to remember the name of on old cleveland rd and boundary rd out-bound at camp hill....
It's Salm's Mt Bruce Butchery, at Camp Hill on the corner of 596 Old Cleveland Rd (corner Bruce St). There is another Salm's Meats about 5 minutes further at Carindale but I do not know if they are related or not.

I picked up this custom order today, $15 per kg.

Darren
Newton's Third Law of Clichés: For each and every cliché, there is an equal and opposite cliché.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Maaaaannnnnn......that makes me wanna move back to Bris-vegas.......those ribs are sooo meaty!! :P

Good work Darren.

I was talking to a local Butcher in Newcastle and he says he handles large full briskets at about $7 per kilo bone out so a 5 kilo job will land me 35 bucks worth of meat on Mondays or Fridays....I think he might have got himself a new customer.
I'll have to wait till next dole cheque :oops: :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5