YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Post by Davo »

Captain Cook wrote:I doubt if the pellet grills will be a large use item here for many years, availability and cost of pellets will always be a restricting factor, it wont matter which is the best. That is the truth of the matter. I did a survey of my friends who have had food off my Traeger as to who would be interested in purchasing a pellet grill most loved the food but none would purchase one based on price, availability of pellets and the fact that they would have to change their complete way of cooking. They said it had too many negatives.

Cheers
Captain
Yes...I think that the Pellet grills will only be a minor player in the way Aussies BBQ apart from areas where proper enthusiasts gather such as here in this forum where we have been able to get a better understanding of the concept of these units.
I too, like the Captain has had the pleasure of owning and using a pellet pooper (Traeger 075) and unfortunately due to hard times and lack of space, it had to go, but it was unique.....so easy to use and the food that came from them was fantastic.

Do I regret selling mine...YOU BLOODY BETCHYA!!

But I reckon it'd be the same as the USA, even though theres so much more variety of outdoor cookers over there, America has over 300 million people compared to our 22 million and I reckon the majority of grills over there will be gassers coz unless you're a real grilling enthusiast, most people just wanna turn a knob or two and click a start button and BINGO...theres your grill on the way. Pellet grills come very close to this ease of using but many of the earlier units have had issues of getting up to grilling and searing temps. But would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of grills sold in USA would also be gassers?

Thanks to the Internet and forums like Aussie BBQs, the US type cookers have become more available to us here and it's still very much in it's infancy but over the last few years the BBQ industry has basically been turned onto it's head with old way and embracing new ways of outdoor grilling.
US styles like beercan chicken was unheard of 5 yrs ago...now everyone is into it and low & slow smoking is also becoming more well known and enjoyed.

BBQ Comps might still be a little way off but things are beginning to happen here in Australia in the BBQ arena...like that shampoo advert says " it won't happen overnight...but it'll happen"!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Davo wrote:But would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of grills sold in USA would also be gassers?

You are primarily correct.

In 2010, more than 15 million grills and smokers shipped in North America, a slight increase (0.5%) overall from 2009. Gas grills continue to top the charts as the most popular type of grill, followed by charcoal and then electric.

Total Gas Grills Shipments (57 percent of sales) – 8,553,500
Total Charcoal Grills Shipments (41 percent of sales) – 6,232,500
Total Electric Grills Shipments (2 percent of sales) – 276,600

Source HPBA 2011 figures.

Pellet units sales in the US may be close to 1%, but not sure if it has broken through that yet or not.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Bentley wrote:
Davo wrote:But would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of grills sold in USA would also be gassers?

You are primarily correct.

In 2010, more than 15 million grills and smokers shipped in North America, a slight increase (0.5%) overall from 2009. Gas grills continue to top the charts as the most popular type of grill, followed by charcoal and then electric.

Total Gas Grills Shipments (57 percent of sales) – 8,553,500
Total Charcoal Grills Shipments (41 percent of sales) – 6,232,500
Total Electric Grills Shipments (2 percent of sales) – 276,600

Source HPBA 2011 figures.

Pellet units sales in the US may be close to 1%, but not sure if it has broken through that yet or not.
Faaark, I wonder what 1% of all grills and smokers sold in Aus is?
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

All that matters is what you folks like, find affordable and want to use. I don't do all my cooking on a pellet cooker. I do most of my cooking on a pellet cooker. Here is a twist, some of my best cooks (Pulled pork) I started on my Yoder Wichita stick burner for 5 to 6 hours then moved to my YS640 and finished on Auto pilot. I also have had some cooks that were flat out amazing using only my stick burner (mostly beef). Pellet cookers are with out a doubt a great cooker. If you know how to achieve and maintain an efficient fire a stick burner will produce a more robust amd enjoyable wood smoke flavor. This is of course in my opinion. There is however allot more work involved. And this is why we keep going back to the pellet cookers because its allot less hassle and you get great results without the chance of bitter tasting meat due to an un-efficient fire. I'm old school and as much as I love the pellet cookers I cannot pull myself away from a stick burner. So I cook on both. :roll:
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Wingman wrote:All that matters is what you folks like, find affordable and want to use. I don't do all my cooking on a pellet cooker. I do most of my cooking on a pellet cooker. Here is a twist, some of my best cooks (Pulled pork) I started on my Yoder Wichita stick burner for 5 to 6 hours then moved to my YS640 and finished on Auto pilot. I also have had some cooks that were flat out amazing using only my stick burner (mostly beef). Pellet cookers are with out a doubt a great cooker. If you know how to achieve and maintain an efficient fire a stick burner will produce a more robust amd enjoyable wood smoke flavor. This is of course in my opinion. There is however allot more work involved. And this is why we keep going back to the pellet cookers because its allot less hassle and you get great results without the chance of bitter tasting meat due to an un-efficient fire. I'm old school and as much as I love the pellet cookers I cannot pull myself away from a stick burner. So I cook on both. :roll:
Well said Rob, thanks for that :D

Cheers,
Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Grill Pro Australia

The first 3 Yoder Y Series Pellet Cookers are due to arrive at Malvern, SA around mid afternoon tommorrow. If anyone is around, call in for a look ( & a Bev ) :D :D :D

Cheers,

Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:The first 3 Yoder Y Series Pellet Cookers are due to arrive at Malvern, SA around mid afternoon tommorrow. If anyone is around, call in for a look ( & a Bev ) :D :D :D

Cheers,

Dave
Wooo Hooo!

Don't have too many bevies that you can't take photo's!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Grill Pro Australia

urbangriller wrote:
Grill Pro Australia wrote:The first 3 Yoder Y Series Pellet Cookers are due to arrive at Malvern, SA around mid afternoon tommorrow. If anyone is around, call in for a look ( & a Bev ) :D :D :D

Cheers,

Dave
Wooo Hooo!

Don't have too many bevies that you can't take photo's!

Chris
Who me ... Never :roll:
Grill Pro Australia
Richtee

Post by Richtee »

Oh, Happy Day! Hope all went well! Those are some nice units. Hope they came in in good shape...err wait..is it tomarrow there? :mrgreen:
Grill Pro Australia

Richtee wrote:
Oh, Happy Day! Hope all went well! Those are some nice units. Hope they came in in good shape...err wait..is it tomarrow there? :mrgreen:
Haha, not yet Ritchee, lol It's just after 8:30pm on Wed night here

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Grill Pro Australia

The first 3 Yoder Y series Hardwood Pellet cookers are now here in Adelaide. Can't wait to fire one up tomorrow. They are seriously impressive.
Grill Pro Australia
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

If the look of the Yoder YS series insn't impressive enough, opening the re-afirms its a robust built cooker. Once they are fired and cooked on the new owners should be pleasantly happy providing the cost was appropriate.

Dave, are you going to use one as a display and demo unit? Foothills in WA has several demo units so folks can see what its like to cook on them. You know, taste the food off them before they buy. I usually go out on Saturdays and cook with them. It really gets folks motivated. We usually have a Yoder YS and or Wichita and a Green Egg going. If they are interested in another cooker we fire it up and make smoke! :D
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
Grill Pro Australia

Wingman wrote:If the look of the Yoder YS series insn't impressive enough, opening the re-afirms its a robust built cooker. Once they are fired and cooked on the new owners should be pleasantly happy providing the cost was appropriate.

Dave, are you going to use one as a display and demo unit? Foothills in WA has several demo units so folks can see what its like to cook on them. You know, taste the food off them before they buy. I usually go out on Saturdays and cook with them. It really gets folks motivated. We usually have a Yoder YS and or Wichita and a Green Egg going. If they are interested in another cooker we fire it up and make smoke! :D
Hi Rob, sorry for the delayed response ( have been a bit busy with these Yoders :lol: ) I thought I knew what to expect after all my reserch, but I was even impressed with the build quality of the Yoders. Your statement of comparing apples to oranges is 100% correct when comparing the Yoders to all the other Pellet cookers. Looking at our RRPs for the Yoders that we will be releasing at the upcoming Redheads Gourmet BBQ Festival in Adelaide I dont think it will be too hard for people to spend the few extra dollars for these US hand built cookers.

We will have a YS480 & YS640 in Adelaide for demo as well as a 20" Wichita when we receive our first large order end of November. Urban Griller in WA ( Yoder Stockist ) will also have a Yoder Y series Pellet Cooker and a Yoder Offset Smoker for demo also.

Also, Grill Pro will be following the BBQ Festival next year as it travels to the other states , displaying & cooking on the Yoders.

Grill Pro Australia's plan is to find high quality retailers in each state like Urban Griller ( WA ) & Homestyle Solutions ( SA ) that stock Yoder BBQs , keep units for demo purposes as well as Grill Pro range of pellets & other products.

Smoke it & they will come eh!

Regards,

Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I really want to see one of these in action
When are they coming to Sydney?
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hogsy wrote:I really want to see one of these in action
When are they coming to Sydney?
The Plan says...Next March!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!