Slow Cooked Lamb in Weber Q!!

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
luv2cook

Slow Cooked Lamb in Weber Q!!

Post by luv2cook »

Hi People,

Just thought I'd share this with the forum. Inspired by titch's slow cooked lamb post below, I thought I give one a try. Apart from a normal oven, only other option I have is a Q220. Now I have read on here that low and slow is a problem for the Q series as it does not go low enough. Well I made mine go low enough. What I did was simply almost turn the gas off, but just keep it high enough to keep the flame going. And I occasionally turned the gas off for 15 minutes or so, then turned it back on.

After almost 8 hours cooking, here is the result:

Meat was absolutely beautiful. Succulent, juicy and oh so tasty. Considering it was an IGA Leg of Lamb, I was gobsmacked at how tender it was. For those interested, here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
2kg Leg of Lamb
4 cloves of fresh garlic
1 onion sliced
2 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of red wine (use something you enjoy drinking)
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Olive oil
Rosemary
Salt & pepper

Method:
Brown lamb in a frypan. At the same time quickly fry onions. In a large roasting dish, combine chicken stock, red wine, 3/4 of the BBQ sauce, lemon juice and the onions. Cut garlic into long strips. Poke holes in lamb and insert garlic. Rub olive oil, salt and pepper into lamb. Pour remaining BBQ sauce over lamb and sprinkle Rosemary on it. Place lamb on trivet over the baking dish.

Turn Q on and set gas as low as you can get it. Cook for 7-8 hours, occasionally turning gas off for 15mins or so then turn it back on. Serve with roast potatoes and veg. Use juices and onions in roasting dish as a lovely gravy.

Enjoy with the rest of the bottle of red :D

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by luv2cook on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

kingsthorpedavid

Re: Slow Cooked Lamb in Weber Q!!

Post by kingsthorpedavid »

A good tip - thanks will try 8)
Sounds like about an 18 Stubbie roast?

David
titch

Post by titch »

Mate, you are dedicated and it looks like it paid of,well done.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
luv2cook

Post by luv2cook »

Thanks Guys. The day was dedicated to the TV as the Phillip Island GP was on, so plenty of time was available. Your right David, probably could have easily consumed that amount of TEDS, but I highly doubt the roast would have turned out like it did. In fact I doubt if it would have turned out at all. :P
Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 »

Nice looking roast mate :wink:
magste

Post by magste »

Nice one Ian! On my list to try in the Family Q. :)
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

What a great result from some lateral thinking :wink:
Top job indeed, Ive had some great lamb from IGA over the years on the odd occasion that I buy meat there
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
luv2cook

Post by luv2cook »

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the IGA lamb purchase was a spur of the moment buy and at $8.99kg was a bargin. I actually went down yesterday to grab a few more, but they had gone up to $13.99, so I just grabbed the one.
Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

Yamapro

Post by Yamapro »

Amazing job Ian!

I can't wait to try your recipe - just need to find a day with a spare 8 hours now :D
Great looking pics are making me hungry, time to cook up breakfast methinks!
Too many Qs but still not enough...
titch

Post by titch »

Must be lamb week, I need a fix.
Hmmm shoulder slow cooked?
Tick Tick Tick :P
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Mate, that lamb looks stunning....great job.

I don't really do any roasts much on my Q220 but the ones that I have done have turned out nice but I leave the low & slow to the kettle or WSM.

I'm just wondering that if you kept the flame level the way you did and added a small foil tray of cold water into the Q ( that's of course you had the space for it) as that would act as a heat sink and maintain the low temps as water has a boiling level of 100C, the Q shouldn't go too much past that and it also adds moisture for the meat.
I haven't tried that yet but just thought I'd suggest it as it works well on a kettle to keep the temps stable and low, only difference being that with charcoal,you can limit the amount of the burn with the damping vents and amount of burning charcoal.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
luv2cook

Post by luv2cook »

Great idea Davo. I will def try that next time. I watched Better Homes last night and Fast Ed (one of my favourite TV cooks for his simplicity), reckoned that meat starts to toughen at 60C. The highest I saw was 120C and that's when I turned it off. So next time, I'd like to go even lower and your suggestion might just help me do that. Or I just go out and buy a kettle which I'm actually thinking I should do :lol:
Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Ian....if you go and buy a Weber kettle and experiement the way you do with the Q...you will never look back.....just a bit of technique is all it takes... :)

You can buy a Weber kettle on ebay in good nick around the $75-120 range depending on condition or you can go and buy a new one for $299 or I think the One Touch Gold kettle with the ashpot underneath will set you back about $440 and mate, they will last you for a couple of decades and longer.

Ya just can't beat cooking over live fire :)

Let us know when you get one and we'll introduce you to the SNAKE (method) :mrgreen:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
luv2cook

Post by luv2cook »

Hey davo,

Sorry for the late reply. I just returned from 16 days in Thailand. Man, those Thai's know how to cook. Their driving leaves a lot to be desired tho :shock:

You have me very intrigued with the SNAKE method. Once funds become available, I will def get myself a kettle :D
Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

3Gums

Post by 3Gums »

Hi All,

After seeing lamb leg in woollies for $8.99 per kg I had to try this method.

I have a 320 Q, found that the middle burner on low produced 110 deg consistently with the gas reg turned nearly to off.

This was the end result after 6 and a bit hours - fantastic, wonderful, brilliant - - - -

Thanks guys, tastes soooo good!!!