Best cooking surface

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
macy517

Best cooking surface

Post by macy517 »

What is the better cooking surface? I am looking for a new BBQ and see stainless steel grills, vitreous enamel, cast iron etc etc Is vitreous enamel safe? And burners as well, stainless steel, enamel and so on. What should I be looking for?
macy517

Re: Best cooking surface

Post by macy517 »

Does anybody have an opinion here???
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Provided that the surfaces are cleaned after each use and preheated to a hight heat prior to cooking, all of the above are fine.

Although I've had no experience with the porcellin covered hotplates, cast iron I find is the best for heat transfer but you've got to keep them well seasoned.

Stainless is ok too but they don't stay shiney for long.

If you live near the beach, you could have issues with all surfaces including SS.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I recently picked up some vitreous enamel grills, they left very nice marks on rump with no sticking to the grill

Chalky
Last edited by Chalky on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

I have used the smooth, shiny goodness of the vitreous enamel grills and hotplates and loved them. I can't remember the brand but just got them from Bunnings, they were about $45 each. I have bought two sets of these (home and holiday house) and both are still going strong, I was even considering taking them off my old bbq and putting them on my new unit but they are not quite the right size.

If you do buy some and have the opportunity to inspect them make sure the hotplates you get dont have any tiny imperfections/pimples that will catch your barbie tools. I remember opening 3 or 4 packs before i was happy.

I have only cooked on SS plates once and found them to be sticky and hard to clean. I would like to try them again though and will probably get some eventually.

re SS burners I considered these but given the price I ruled them out, they won't add anything to your cooking experience and cast iron burners cost about $20 each can last 10 years or more.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Good advice Dexter :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
macy517

Post by macy517 »

Thanks for the tips Dexter