New Style Performer to LPG bottle?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
mitchamus

New Style Performer to LPG bottle?

Post by mitchamus »

Hi guys,

I bought myself a Weber performer a couple of months back and it's been great.
The only drawback is, I've been using it so much, (every night for the last 6 weeks :) that I'm getting tired of buying the expensive disposable gas canisters.

I have an adapter that allows me to use the cheaper (4 for $10) aerosol can sized canisters, but I'd like to be able to
connect it to an LPG bottle, so I can run the gas for 15 minutes instead of 5 or 10, and be able to shut the gas off at the bottle.
(I don't trust the internal regulator to not leak with the canister still connected)

So - have any of you guys found an adapter hose to run to an LPG bottle?
I saw a picture on amazon.com of one connected, but I'm not sure that the US would fit our aussie model.

any info appreciated!

cheers,
Mitch.
Captain Cook

Re: New Style Performer to LPG bottle?

Post by Captain Cook »

Hi Mitch and Welcome.

I haven't converted mine to a 2 kg gas bottle but it shouldn't be too difficult. Call your local weber service tech and ask him. You can get them trough the state managers or through Weber Customer Service though I am not sure Weber would sanction such a modification as the current configuration has been approved as meeting the Australian design rules and standards. any new configurations would need to be approved.

I use a Heatbeads Chimney Starter and a couple of Jiffy fire lighters and sit it on the charcoal grill, using this method I can dump the lighted heatbeads anywhere on the grill or in the char baskets so I can cook using different methods - direct, indirect, wok, rotisserie, two or three tiered direct fire etc.

I only use the gas assist now and then if I am going to do something traditional and am using the chimney for one of the other kettles.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
mitchamus

Post by mitchamus »

Captain Cook wrote:Call your local weber service tech and ask him. You can get them trough the state managers or through Weber Customer Service though I am not sure Weber would sanction such a modification as the current configuration has been approved as meeting the Australian design rules and standards.
My first stop was to email Weber customer service, who told me that an adapter hose was not available!

I think I might just get one made up by a gas fitter!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

mitchamus wrote:
Captain Cook wrote:Call your local weber service tech and ask him. You can get them through the state managers or through Weber Customer Service though I am not sure Weber would sanction such a modification as the current configuration has been approved as meeting the Australian design rules and standards.
My first stop was to email Weber customer service, who told me that an adapter hose was not available!

I think I might just get one made up by a gas fitter!
I was actually talking about the Service Tech not a hose. I am sure that you could bodgy something up but I would always be wary of tampering with gas especially when there is an ignition source nearby. That's a personal phobia of mine.

Good luck and cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
hecle

Post by hecle »

Rays outdoors sell bbq hoses "gasmate" brand with 9kg POL inlet fitting to a disposable propane cylinder type thread that will screw into your perfomer. Under 20 bucks.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Thanks Hecle and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a trip to Rays on the way home from work.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
Nate

Post by Nate »

Hi all,

First-time poster. Sorry to reinvigorate an old thread but found it doing a google search on the weber performer gas starter. I've had mine for going on 2 months now and I've gone through 2 of the little disposable butane bottles from BCF. It's starting to really p me off having to continually buy these things after little use (at an expensive $13.50 a bottle).

Did anyone have any luck with the LPG cyllinder adapter? I rang Ray's and they have no idea what I'm talking about. If not, where can I get the adapter the OP is talking about with being able to at least use the 4-pack gasmate push on cylinders instead, which come at a great cheaper price tag then the regular screw on cylinders?

Cheers in advance for the assistance.

Nate
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Captain Cook wrote:Thanks Hecle and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
WORK :?: :?: :?: I thought you were retired Captain :wink:

I just began using my gas starter again after 12 months of using firelighters because of the cost of those butane canisters....$12.95 at a disposal store...and you're lucky to get 10 starts out it so that's over $1.00 a start...not economical really. I've been using those heatbeads cardboard based firelighters and they seem to be good because they don't leave anything left like those petro lighters which leave a small sponge like little blob behind.

I'm not sure if the regulator on the Performer would be able to handle the pressure of a full 4 or 9 kilo gas bottle so we might have to put a little pressure on Weber Australia through the ABBQA or something for them to come up with a suitable solution...wouldn't hurt!!
I think in the US, theres a suitable adaptor avail to use with their gas bottles but they wouldn't be suitable for ours I wouldn't think.

But...despite that....the Weber Performer is worth every dollar spent...bloody great BBQ they are.If I could justify it I'd buy a 2nd one.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

Davo wrote:
Captain Cook wrote:Thanks Hecle and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
WORK :?: :?: :?: I thought you were retired Captain :wink:

I just began using my gas starter again after 12 months of using firelighters because of the cost of those butane canisters....$12.95 at a disposal store...and you're lucky to get 10 starts out it so that's over $1.00 a start...not economical really. I've been using those heatbeads cardboard based firelighters and they seem to be good because they don't leave anything left like those petro lighters which leave a small sponge like little blob behind.

I'm not sure if the regulator on the Performer would be able to handle the pressure of a full 4 or 9 kilo gas bottle so we might have to put a little pressure on Weber Australia through the ABBQA or something for them to come up with a suitable solution...wouldn't hurt!!
I think in the US, theres a suitable adaptor avail to use with their gas bottles but they wouldn't be suitable for ours I wouldn't think.

But...despite that....the Weber Performer is worth every dollar spent...bloody great BBQ they are.If I could justify it I'd buy a 2nd one.

Cheers

Davo

Hey Dave,read the date Phil posted.He He .
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

:oops: :oops: :oops: OOOPS!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanx Titch.....it's been a long day hehehe
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Nate

Post by Nate »

Bump anyone?
lox_gold

Post by lox_gold »

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but i have a quick question.

Will the Weber performer run ok with an unregulated LPG hose (for 9kg LPG bottle) by gasmate? Does it not need to be a regulated hose as i believe the gasmate one to be unregulated?

Cheers,

Lox
titch

Post by titch »

lox_gold wrote:Hi,

I know this is an old thread but i have a quick question.

Will the Weber performer run ok with an unregulated LPG hose (for 9kg LPG bottle) by gasmate? Does it not need to be a regulated hose as i believe the gasmate one to be unregulated?

Cheers,

Lox

If the Weber came with a regulator fitted it must have one ,no matter what gas bottle you use.
Adapters may be available so the regulator fits,.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
lox_gold

Post by lox_gold »

problem solved. i detached the regulator from the performer and bought an elbow joint that connects LPG bottle to performer thread, and i can lay the bottle down under next to the coal bin.

gold. cant wait to slow smoke some short ribs!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Not sure about laying a gas bottle on it's side! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!