Buying First BBQ! Need HELP

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
sox11

Buying First BBQ! Need HELP

Post by sox11 »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first BBQ (just moved out of home - BBQ party time), and have about $700 to spend. I really have no gauge on what is and isn't a good brand out there. I've been looking through the Barbeques Galore and Bunnings(sister has discount) ranges and just having trouble deciding on what to choose. Now there are a couple of things that I'm specifically looking for, apart from value for money and quality.

1. Side Burner
2. Ability for Rotisserie for Roasts

I will be mainly cooking for 2 people however I would entertain 5-10 people regularly. So not sure if i need to go to anything bigger than a 4 burner. So here is what i've been looking at.

BBQ Galore
Patiomaster 4 "HD" on Cart with Side Burner -$349
Downunder 4 with Hood on Side Burner Cart - $349
Beefmaster 4 on Cart with Side Burner -$599

Bunnings
Jumbuck 6 Burner 'Voyager' Hooded BBQ - $465
BBQ 4 BNR NEO Everdure Figura Esee - $799 (Currently leaning towards)

I've read through a number of posts and everyone seems to suggest the webber Q series but without the side burner and Rotisserie I don't think it would an option. Which has left me scratching my head.
Any help would be a massive help!!

-Matt
shayneh2006

Re: Buying First BBQ! Need HELP

Post by shayneh2006 »

Hello and welcome to the site.

Ummmm, you havent said whether or not it is stictly a new outfit you are after or second hand. If you give the second option a chance, some great buys can be had on Ebay. I am always searching/watching and have even recently got some good buys myself. I have recently seen some great buys go off on outfits that i have merely been watching in my account.

If used is not an option, at least have a look on Ebay too see what is out there and it will also give you an idea on brands and prices.

Ps. I was in Bunnings a few days ago myself and was looking at their range and in my opinion, most of it was crap. Dont get me wrong, i am no expert on gassers but the kettles they sell (not Weber) are s**t. You wouldnt own one, EVER :shock:

Others here will be able to help further no doubt.

Good luck choosing, Shayne.

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
sox11

Post by sox11 »

Thanks Shayne

yeah I'm looking at new BBQ's based on warranty and my lack of time as i have to make a decision by Friday to use the BBQ on Saturday.
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

sox11 wrote:Thanks Shayne

yeah I'm looking at new BBQ's based on warranty and my lack of time as i have to make a decision by Friday to use the BBQ on Saturday.
I would make the decision earlier then that, you still have to build the thing...

Rottisseries are gimmicky, a roasting trivet and a piece of alfoil is all you need to use on a weber bbq, especially the 120 and 220.

It all depends on how you are going to use it?
Are you going to roast weekly? monthly? yearly?
how often are you going to use the sideburner

I cook on a 220Q. and would highly recommand it
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

sox11 wrote:Thanks Shayne

Where are you located?

The BBQs you are looking at will all work, the problem is how long will you be satisfied with that quality.

As you will read on thuis forum - the majority of members are hooked on Quality one of the reasons is that they BBQ quite a lot. if you only intend to BBQ about 20 - 30 times a year then you should go with the El-Cheapos

However if not then there are a few others that you should consider
One being the Weber Spirit Series,. To find out who sells them in your area go to http://www.weberbbq.com.au
the other ones to look at are the Blue Tongue Brand http://www.bluetonguebbqs.com.au

cheers
newmarket

Post by newmarket »

I'd say a weber q220 would be more than enough. The weber Q's are really easy to work with and you'll look like a pro.

As was mentioned earlier, you don't need a rotisserie to cook a roast. I suppose that a side burner would be nice, but you'd probably never use it (of course I only have the Q220 and a weber kettle, so I've never had one).
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

G'day & Welcome Sox11

What the Captain says is pretty much right....all the el-cheapos will do the job...but will you be happy with it?

If you could stretch your budget to around $1,000, a different level of BBQ is available and now is a great time to buy and start to haggle because it's getting close to the end of the financial year, and it's winter and many stores still have last season's stock.
It'd be beneficial if you also looked for what you want in Beefeater (not beefmaster) and Gasmate, Rinnai are pretty reasonable and for a grand you can have a nice unit that Bluey sells called 'Bluetoungue' which the Captain put up his link..tell bluey you are now a member of this forum and he'll look after you...he is in Sydney....not sure where you're from.
Many of the side burners on most bbqs are not really powerful enough to accommodate a wok if that's what you're considering it's use but they're ok for boiling veggies or making sauces...for woks you need a tripple ring burner with some grunt.
Unless you already have a generic rotiserie set up that will fit a regular 4 burner, at the price you are looking at, they are definately an accessory but many makes have slots in which you can set one up.
If you took $700-1,000 in cold hard cash to a reputable BBQ store, you might be surprised at what you can buy if you haggle well......cash still talks :D

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Hi again

Just saw these. If you are in Brisbane, QLD, heres one that might interest you
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Delux-Weber- ... 3f0aeeb7a4

Or Sydney (i expect the price of this will blow the budjet) and will need some messing around with conversions and stuff
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Summit ... 3a67286eaa

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hehehe Shayne, that guy in Sydney claims his wife ORDERED him to sell the Weber coz 1 BBQ is enough....yeah right...I know what I'd be telling her....I'll put her on ebay and keep the Weber.....a man has to have priorities :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
rosecran

Post by rosecran »

Davo wrote:Hehehe Shayne, that guy in Sydney claims his wife ORDERED him to sell the Weber coz 1 BBQ is enough....yeah right...I know what I'd be telling her....I'll put her on ebay and keep the Weber.....a man has to have priorities :lol:

Cheers

Davo
What a waste aye? As if you'd go thru all the transit trouble and end up selling it anyway :shock:
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

rosecran wrote:What a waste aye? As if you'd go thru all the transit trouble and end up selling it anyway
It might be some B/s**t story but then again, it may be the truth :oops:

Shayne

Paul23

Post by Paul23 »

G'Day all!
I have been looking to buy a bbq over the last month, and found this forum which is a fantastic resource, i have spent many late nights reading up on past conversation, changing my mind several times deciding which bbq would best suit my needs.

I have been to bbq's galore, bunnings, and because of the strong reccommendation for weber bbq's went to visit heatworks in Adelaide which stock weber bbq's, I love the quality of the weber bbq's so am leaning towards buying a large summit bbq, but i would rather a cast iron grill/hotplate rater then ss.
shayneh2006 wrote:Hi again

Just saw these. If you are in Brisbane, QLD, heres one that might interest you
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Delux-Weber- ... 3f0aeeb7a4

Or Sydney (i expect the price of this will blow the budjet) and will need some messing around with conversions and stuff
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Summit ... 3a67286eaa

Shayne

I am looking between these two bbq's, I've written to them asking if they will post to South Australia.
I haven't heard much about the Delux weber 6 burner, what are the difference between the two?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

The one in Sydney would be the best buy by far. Call Weber CS in Adelaide 1300 301 290. explain that you are looking at purchasing that model off Ebay and ask what you need to do to change it over to Australian Gas.
Cooking on SS grates is fantastic. You do miss out on a little extra caramalization/searing when you flash grill but with the summit the extra heat output compensates for that. I use both SS and CI on my Genesis (the model down from the Summit and find I use the SS nearly all the time.
If you pushyou may be able to get a better deal from the store. Ask Weber CS if they have an ex demo model for sale.
Shipping the BBQ would be a problem they weigh between 140 - 180 kg from memory Weber CS will be able to tell you the shipping weight.

Cheers

Cap'n
rosecran

Post by rosecran »

Hey Matt Welcome!

I think you already know that high quality is important in many things (you get what you pay for etc etc) but if the side burner and rotisserie is very important to you after some serious thinking, then I reckon go for what you want and for $800 (BBQ 4 BNR NEO Everdure Figura Esee), that seems like a good quality unit!

let us know how you go buddy

Cheers
Josh
Paul23

Post by Paul23 »

Thanks for the reply Cap'n

I rang Weber and they told me that they don't convert overseas models. Also I'm not sure about the warranty I'll ring tomorrow and check.

Why isn't the delux Weber so much worse than the summit, I'm looking at the delux (one from Brisbane) because i have no need for a side burner or rotisserie.

Paul