Propane bottle for imported Weber Performer

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
SlavickP

Propane bottle for imported Weber Performer

Post by SlavickP »

Hello all, this is my first message here so apologies for ignorance of the uninitiated.

My better half recently ordered a Weber 1428001 Performer Charcoal Grill from the US. I have a sneaking suspicion that the US propane bottles are different from Australian ones, and that we might need some kind of connector kit. Can anybody tell me what exactly I'm looking at, and where can I get that?
Buccaneer

Re: Propane bottle for imported Weber Performer

Post by Buccaneer »

oh dear
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

And the good news is....everyone who has one has stopped using the gas in favour of a chimney!

Just ignore the fact it has a gas starter.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah I'm with Chris on this one...I have a Weber performer and I've had a gutful of the gas lighting thing on it because here in Australia, the canisters cost $13 and you're lucky to get 10 starts out it so at $1.30 per start..they can shove it!!
I use firelighters and a heatbeads charcoal starter chimney like all kettles...the gas start thing just isn't worth it for us here.
A box of redhead firelighter cubes cost a couple of bucks..a lot cheaper than the gas.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I'm with Davo, Bunnings stopped selling them so I just use the Chimney, Takes a couple of minutes longer but is easier, cheaper and a more even burn to start with. It also allows me to put the charcoal/beads wherever I want them.

Get a Chimney Starter, You'll be happy.

Cheers
SlavickP

Post by SlavickP »

Thanks guys - chimney, it is. Weber, or?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The heatbeads Chimeny is pretty good, it looks like the weber chimney...but the weber chimney is not avail here.

Urban griller has a big chimney which is as solid as a tank.....have a look on the urbangriller website

Why did you order the Performer from the USA when they are available here? Will you save that much money by the time it's sent to Australia?

Just be aware that any warranty issues that are different from the Australian model...may not be supported by Weber Australia.

I could understand perhaps a 26.5 inch kettle or perhaps a 22.5 WSM but the Performers are available at premium weber dealers..did you do the calculations before it was ordered? Some things are just not the small saving unless it's now available here.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
SlavickP

Post by SlavickP »

It came to just over $400 including expedited shipping, as opposed to ~$800 at local retailers. Go figure.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Fair enough...good deal....gee including shipping means you got that Performer very cheap....

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
sosman

Post by sosman »

Captain Cook wrote:I'm with Davo, Bunnings stopped selling them so I just use the Chimney, Takes a couple of minutes longer but is easier, cheaper and a more even burn to start with. It also allows me to put the charcoal/beads wherever I want them.

Get a Chimney Starter, You'll be happy.

Cheers
Bit of judicious compressed air is magic - watch for flying embers if you get too enthusiastic though ...
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Looks like he was a 1 hit poster apart from the breif answer he gave us to my enquiry.....probably won't hear from him again as it was last march 17th that he replied here.

Oh well.....we do try!! :roll:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
djenan

Post by djenan »

how do i purchase a performer from USA at that price. I know weber have recently locked it down so we cant import from the US but come on they are running at over 150% markup in Australia at the moment.
Ive tried a recommended agent in melbourne who buys on your behalf and get it shipped to you. I know other members on here have used her but now she doesnt want to do it saying its too big to post.

any ideas?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

G'day around-here,

I think your answer may have been in vain because djenan hasn't been here for over 6 months now and probably won't be again.Many come and go.

Thanks for trying though....appreciated but this is quite an old post.

Cheers

Davo
admin-Mod
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Low n Slow

Post by Low n Slow »

Yep, looks like he's gone, but for those of you interested I can give you some info.

You can get the cannisters for the Performer 1 touch system at Gasmate's Factory outlet http://www.sitro.com.au/contact.asp

They are a green canister and last time I went there, they were $6.50 each! You can buy the blue Bernz one in Bunning for over $20.00 if you have to, but that's fraking highway robbery.

Secondly, regarding the cost of using it to light your coals... well, you don't use it to light your coals, you use it to light your chimney starter! You turn it on for 20 seconds. Your chimney starter is going like a train... turn it off and your charcoal is well on the way to being lit. Do that, and you'll probably use a bottle every 12 months.

Now that's cheap.

Cheers!
Bill
AKA SmokinAussie
BB Chef Offset / 25 year old WGA / 22.5 Performer / 22.5 WSM (Bullet Bill) / ALDI Cabinet Smoker / Satay Stick Grill and A Big Cardboard Biltong Box.