aldi gas smoker - how low do they go?

All about smokers hot and cold
sosman

aldi gas smoker - how low do they go?

Post by sosman »

I fired up an Aldi gas smoker tonight to season it (no food). Now the user guide says:

"Smoking for 2 to 3 hours at the ideal constant temperature of 110 to 120 C will get the best results ... for more tender and heavily smoked meat, a lower temperature may be preferred"

On low, it sat at a constant 130 C (vent position didn't seem to have much effect) so how do I get the temperature down? Especially since I am after the "more tender and heavily smoked meat". I am curious what temperatures other people get with these smokers (seems to be a rebadged Hark) and how to get the temperature down. I'm thinking of unleashing it on some pork ribs for my christmas BBQ but that is another thread.

It certainly generated lots of smoke from the hickory chips.
titch

Re: aldi gas smoker - how low do they go?

Post by titch »

With a full water tray and the smoke box in, I can run mine at 250F, around the 120c mark.
Closed Vent seems to concentrate the smoke.
Cheers
Titch
Cheers
Titch
sosman

Post by sosman »

So I'm not out of the ball park at 130 then. I'll give some ribs a go tomorrow.
Last edited by sosman on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RatDog

Post by RatDog »

You can smoke at all temperatures in these sorts of smokers, I've had no trouble keeping mine at a constant 70C - 80C by turning the gas bottle almost all the way off then making fine adjustments - paying attention to the size and behavior of the flame.
sosman

Post by sosman »

Thanks for the info - have tried a couple of things - bit of a learning curve but already getting tasty results.
ant

Post by ant »

During my first smoking effort a few weeks back in this, had the same issue. I want to cold-smoke some hams down the track, after some trial runs, but couldn't get it lower than 200F without losing all my smoke. I turned the gas bottle to almost off, too.

One of the senior members here said I can dispense with the gas for cold smoking, and put some heat beads in the chip box with the chips. That's going to get a go for sure.

also the yanks have this A Maze N Smoker thing which looks like a cutlery tray made of mesh, you fill it with sawdust and light it. Going to try and get a better look at a schematic diagram and see if it's possible to make one.

I'm also thinking of cycling the gas. Get it going, up to max smoke, and then turn off the flame without opening door. Might see about duct taping the vent too, as smoke still issues from the door and the floor joins.
4 burner gas BBQ with an un-used Wok burner
Hark/Aldi Tall Smoker
1 Classic Hibachi
1 Barrel Hibachi
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Ant,

The A-Maze-N-smoker is here:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=2833

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
titch

Post by titch »

ant wrote:During my first smoking effort a few weeks back in this, had the same issue. I want to cold-smoke some hams down the track, after some trial runs, but couldn't get it lower than 200F without losing all my smoke. I turned the gas bottle to almost off, too.

One of the senior members here said I can dispense with the gas for cold smoking, and put some heat beads in the chip box with the chips. That's going to get a go for sure.

also the yanks have this A Maze N Smoker thing which looks like a cutlery tray made of mesh, you fill it with sawdust and light it. Going to try and get a better look at a schematic diagram and see if it's possible to make one.

I'm also thinking of cycling the gas. Get it going, up to max smoke, and then turn off the flame without opening door. Might see about duct taping the vent too, as smoke still issues from the door and the floor joins.

A stainless collander works very nice in those units,maybe start at 12 beads,will depend on the enviroment where you live.
IMG_0358 (Medium).jpg
Titch
Cheers
Titch
ant

Post by ant »

That cold smoker is a great gadget, I'm just baulking at the price tag a bit. Will be in the US next month, hopefully, so might go looking for one. Perfect gadget though, for long smokes. a friend in the US had an electric smoker and I figure that'd be a better go for long smoking at cool temperatures.

Thanks for pic of colander! I guess there'd be better air ingress. I got some heat beads yesterday, um, how do you light them and keep them going? When I use the Coles cheapo version in my wood heater, I use a firelighter to get it all moving, obviously not going to use a stinky firelighter in the smoker.
Hark/Aldi Tall Smoker
1 Classic Hibachi
1 Barrel Hibachi
titch

Post by titch »

ant wrote:That cold smoker is a great gadget, I'm just baulking at the price tag a bit. Will be in the US next month, hopefully, so might go looking for one. Perfect gadget though, for long smokes. a friend in the US had an electric smoker and I figure that'd be a better go for long smoking at cool temperatures.

Thanks for pic of colander! I guess there'd be better air ingress. I got some heat beads yesterday, um, how do you light them and keep them going? When I use the Coles cheapo version in my wood heater, I use a firelighter to get it all moving, obviously not going to use a stinky firelighter in the smoker.

Read this post, http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =14&t=2145 Kevin shows how its done
Chuck out the cheap heat beads and use a brand name like heatbeads.
Another way I do it

smoker 002 (Medium).jpg
smoker 003 (Medium).jpg
I use an old wire rack over an old oven tray,get the fire burnibg at least 3 heat beads and away it go,s.
Gee I have learnt from this site.
Hope this helps Ants.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
ant

Post by ant »

Good link, thanks. I'll go give it a read. Yes, I did buy proper heat beads! and a bag of hickory chips while I was at it.
Hark/Aldi Tall Smoker
1 Classic Hibachi
1 Barrel Hibachi
sosman

Post by sosman »

titch wrote:
A stainless collander works very nice in those units,maybe start at 12 beads,will depend on the enviroment where you live.
IMG_0358 (Medium).jpg
Titch
Hey does the garlic help keep the temperature down too? Seriously though, does this add much to the flavour? I noticed a whole garlic rolling around the bottom of the fridge earlier.

And an update on my temperature control - apparently not wetting the wood chips gives a combination gas + wood fired burner. When I soaked them overnight, it was a bit easier to keep the temperature down and the smoke lasted longer.
titch

Post by titch »

sosman wrote:
titch wrote:
IMG_0358 (Medium).jpg
Titch
Hey does the garlic help keep the temperature down too? Seriously though, does this add much to the flavour? I noticed a whole garlic rolling around the bottom of the fridge earlier.

And an update on my temperature control - apparently not wetting the wood chips gives a combination gas + wood fired burner. When I soaked them overnight, it was a bit easier to keep the temperature down and the smoke lasted longer.

I have been using green Garlic Bulbs as a flavouring for years,in the Weber charcoal kettle.
I think it adds a piquant to the meal.( had to look that word up )
I love the idea of adding herbs to the cooking smoke.
At the worst It drives my neighbours nuts, and that alone is worth it.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
leigh_munro

Post by leigh_munro »

Anyone tried some pork ribs in one of these?

Whats the best way to do it?
How long for the cook?

Leigh.
sosman

Post by sosman »

leigh_munro wrote:Anyone tried some pork ribs in one of these?
Whats the best way to do it?
How long for the cook?
Leigh - I'm no smoking guru and I have only cooked ribs a couple of times. First step is to find a butcher that has the ribs you want at a good price. I then made a spicy rub and just followed the basic tips in the Aldi book (110 - 120 C). Looking back on my notes I smoked them for about 3 hours but your mileage may vary. Soak the chips in water.