Pizza on BGE, burnt bottom?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
L2obin

Pizza on BGE, burnt bottom?

Post by L2obin »

Hi guys,

What would be the best way to cook a pizza on the Kamado at high temp (750F). I have tried a couple tonight with a deflector in and pizza stone on top of grill and I consistently kept getting the base burnt by the time the toppings melted...

=?
KBBQ

Re: Pizza on BGE, burnt bottom?

Post by KBBQ »

May be try put some bricks on the grill then the Pizza stone on the bricks
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

L2obin wrote:Hi guys,

What would be the best way to cook a pizza on the Kamado at high temp (750F). I have tried a couple tonight with a deflector in and pizza stone on top of grill and I consistently kept getting the base burnt by the time the toppings melted...

=?
Hi L2obin

It sounds like you have too much direct heat under the stone and not enough above. As KBBQ has said lift the stone up as high as possible without touching the lid or anything else. Plus preheat your stone for 5 - 10 min's - you need the heat over the top of the pizza, it is why you lift it up into the trapped heat.
In my gasser once the stone has been pre heated I turn the burner below the stone off but leave the 2 outside burners on hi.

Cheers L
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You're just running it too hot.
Like all barbecues, They all have things they do really well. Komados do most things well but are not full boar Proper wood fired ovens. Not even the cheaper light duty wood fired ovens can do what a traditional fire brick oven can do.
Get it going @ 600F and make sure it has run for half an hour to fully heat up the ceramic lid. It may take a minute more to cook a pizza but at least it will cook even. Find what temp yours works at in standard form. Then if you want to push it, Start experimenting with levels and bricks. You might find using the BGE as it wants you to use it, Is sufficient
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
DClem

Post by DClem »

Hi there

This used to happen to me all the time....and I was stupidly not putting the pizzas on a tray (was just sliding them direct onto the stone.....which was a pain in the arse...)

If you're as dumb as me...you might be doing that too.

If you're using a tray agree with other postings....it's just too hot....I cook mine at about 250 c and they come out great

dc
waksimus

Post by waksimus »

Ive never had a problem with burnt crusts on my bge.

I use the platesetter legs down and the pizza stone ontop of the platesetter.
Get the temp up around 300-350C and let it warm up for 30mins.

Then I just flour the pizza stone and slide my pizza on top of it, 3-4mins later all done!

All my accessories including the pizza stone are genuine BGE so not sure if that makes a difference.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

DClem wrote:Hi there

This used to happen to me all the time....and I was stupidly not putting the pizzas on a tray (was just sliding them direct onto the stone.....which was a pain in the arse...)

If you're as dumb as me...you might be doing that too.

If you're using a tray agree with other postings....it's just too hot....I cook mine at about 250 c and they come out great

dc
G'day Dclem,
the pizza's are meant to be cooked directly on the stone as it simulates the brick floor in a wood fired oven. It helps to crisp up the bottom of the pizza by drawing moisture out of the dough and into the stone.
The dead set easiest way to slide the pizza off the peel and onto the stone is to use some semolina. If you don't have a wooden pizza peel, get one as they'll make it so much easier to do this. Sprinkle the peel with semolina (you don't need much) and then put your prepared pizza onto the peel. Once the pizza is on the peel, give it a gentle swirling motion and you'll see that the pizza moves around like it's on ball bearings, then the pizza is ready to go onto the stone. If you're not sure of the correct technique to slide the pizza, check youtube out, there's heaps of good clips on how to do it.
DClem

Post by DClem »

Lovey wrote:
DClem wrote:Hi there

G'day Dclem,
the pizza's are meant to be cooked directly on the stone as it simulates the brick floor in a wood fired oven. It helps to crisp up the bottom of the pizza by drawing moisture out of the dough and into the stone.
The dead set easiest way to slide the pizza off the peel and onto the stone is to use some semolina. If you don't have a wooden pizza peel, get one as they'll make it so much easier to do this. Sprinkle the peel with semolina (you don't need much) and then put your prepared pizza onto the peel. Once the pizza is on the peel, give it a gentle swirling motion and you'll see that the pizza moves around like it's on ball bearings, then the pizza is ready to go onto the stone. If you're not sure of the correct technique to slide the pizza, check youtube out, there's heaps of good clips on how to do it.

Thanks Lovey. That's interesting. That's how I used to do it....which I still found painful....but whilst I had a few good pizzas I burnt most. I'm sure I started using a tray after some advice on this forum...and they turn out good - but agree you don't get the same base.

I'll give the other method a go again next time....what temp you recommend?
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day Dclem,
truth be told I've never tried a pizza on my kamado :shock: :oops: , I mainly do them on my 4 burner gasser and I couldn't tell you with any accuracy what the temperature is. I only go off the temp gauge on the lid which is showing around the 250 C mark and they come out great. I wouldn't go too much hotter than that as you don't get time to react.
The main thing is to get the stone as high up in the dome as you can and keep the deflector in. I'm going to have to give kamado pizza's a go one of these days.
Good luck with it and let us know how you go.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

I think you are cooking at too high a temp. I cook mine at ~425F. I have a pizza stone, but I don't put the pizza directly on the stone, I use a perforated pizza pan., which makes it much easier to handle. If you like a thin crust, a large flour tortilla makes a very nice crust for a bistro style pie. I cook mine for 7 minutes and they come out perfect so long as they aren't overloaded with cheese.
robboc

Post by robboc »

Here is mysetup.

Grill, heat deflector, oven bricks for height and pizza steel.

Pizza is cooked direct on the steel at 300 degrees, pizzas are done in 4 minutes and use light toppings.

12x7

Post by 12x7 »

robboc wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:59 am Here is mysetup.

Grill, heat deflector, oven bricks for height and pizza steel.

Pizza is cooked direct on the steel at 300 degrees, pizzas are done in 4 minutes and use light toppings.

What sort of bricks did you use?
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

you could use brick pavers a de-facto fire bricks
chilling while grilling