Position of gas bottle on e330

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
nth

Post by nth »

We have just bought a weber genesis e330 and are very happy with it apart from the ugly gas cylinder being on display at the side of the BBQ. This wasn't explained to us in the showroom and all of the glossy literature from weber obviously doesn't show the gas cylinder being in full view. We researched the bbq online and assumed the cylinder was located in the cabinet as it is in the UK and USA. I contacted weber who said that this is an Australian standard and the same for all BBQ's but I'm not sure that this is true? We have plenty of friends with different types of BBQ and they all have the gas cylinder in the cabinet. The cabinet of the genesis is obviously designed to have the cylinder inside and is well ventilated, negating weber's reasoning that it is placed outside so that gas doesn't build up in the cabinet. I have searched to see if there is an Australian law regarding this, but can't seem to find one. Weber said no one else has ever raised this issue, as Australians all expect their gas cylinder to be on the outside of their BBQ's. Could someone please shed some light on this please?!
Gumb

Re: Position of gas bottle on e330

Post by Gumb »

If that's what it is then there's no point worrying about it. As they said, nobody else has raised it before. You've got a bloody good bbq, go and use it and post some pics of your cooking. :wink:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Why not just move it to the inside?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Golly

Post by Golly »

Yep just move it inside cabinet
Avoid gas build up = crock
No gas will leak if connected properly
I would have assumed it went in there too
Move it inside and get grillin
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
Nath

Post by Nath »

As above. Move it inside.
Is it hanging on Webers pretty average "fullness gauge" on the outside? Pretty sure that would be the only reason it's there.
Who told you it has to be outside for ventilation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Cabinet has holes/slots for ventilation, so that if on the slight chance a leak did develop, it can still vent to atmosphere.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

Hi Guys
Many many years ago, at a product launch for the genesis series.
It was raised and the reason the bottles in the US and UK are smaller in height and fit in the cabinet
meanwhile down under there are numerous sizes, some tall, some shorter(fatter) bottles.
same story behind the old Q300, where the bottle holder didnt fit most bottles
as the overseas bottles were smaller
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

The irony in that is our 9kg bottles have their origins in the common old US 20lb gas bottle!
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mark2011 wrote:Hi Guys
Many many years ago, at a product launch for the genesis series.
It was raised and the reason the bottles in the US and UK are smaller in height and fit in the cabinet
meanwhile down under there are numerous sizes, some tall, some shorter(fatter) bottles.
same story behind the old Q300, where the bottle holder didnt fit most bottles
as the overseas bottles were smaller
Certainly the base ring height and Dia on AU bottles is different from bottle to bottle!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
sydprop

Post by sydprop »

Old thread but after suffering a really bad gas BBQ fire.

Not my BBQ but at a rental - I would now never conceal the gas shutoff - Ugly but safe.

Would have ended in tears if the gas bottle was in the cabinet!

Think fail safe girls/guys!
Klacka

Post by Klacka »

Ha, I actually stumbled over this thread when researching the bottle position.

I for one was actually hoping that the gas bottle would be outside so I have more room inside the cabinet available to store accessories.

It's all a matter of persepective I guess...
Bratam

Post by Bratam »

I stumbled upon this thread after recently purchasing the Genesis E330. I agree with OP that the gas bottle outside the unit makes it look ugly. All my friends made the same comment " nice bbq, shame about the ugly gas cylinder". The problem with moving the gas gauge bracket to the inside of the cabinet is that the indicator gauge will be facing the rear and is unusable ! You would need a mirror and a light just to see the gas guage. It's a poor design imo.
cumagutsa

Post by cumagutsa »

When turning your gas bottle on only just crack the knob a 1/4 of a turn so incase of an emergency its easy to turn off.

We have a forklift at work and for some reason people think it will go faster with the valve all the way open :roll: