Reliability of a Looftlighter vs Heatgun

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
OnTheChoppingBoard

Post by OnTheChoppingBoard »

Hi all,

Been using the normal firelighters or newspapers to start my charcoal/beads. But wanting something a bit quicker. Found Looftlighters in my bunnings and also see Heatguns for around the same prices.

Anyone have experience in using the two and reliability of one against the other?

Thanks in advance
Hayes from The Chopping Board (http://www.onthechoppingboard.com - Adelaide food and restaurant blog)
titch

Re: Reliability of a Looftlighter vs Heatgun

Post by titch »

My looft lighter gets a hammering and it's looks worse for wear buts it's still going strong.
I believe the body is tougher and your hand is further away from the fuel source.
Cheers
Cheers
Titch
Shane_H

Post by Shane_H »

I have used a looftlighter for about 6-8 months and only recently invested in a chimney... man the chimney leaves it for dead if you want to get a bbq up to temp, by lighting a few spots with the looftlighter and waiting for it to get up to say 180c is prob at least 1/2 hr... with a chimney would be no more than 10-15min... id reccomend go straight to the chimney, i barely use the looftlighter anymore
OnTheChoppingBoard

Post by OnTheChoppingBoard »

Shane_H wrote:I have used a looftlighter for about 6-8 months and only recently invested in a chimney... man the chimney leaves it for dead if you want to get a bbq up to temp, by lighting a few spots with the looftlighter and waiting for it to get up to say 180c is prob at least 1/2 hr... with a chimney would be no more than 10-15min... id reccomend go straight to the chimney, i barely use the looftlighter anymore
I missed out on the deals 2 weeks ago for a Chimney at Woolies for $8, so I'm going to kill myself for buying them now at RRP. Hence I'm looking at other alternatives so i don't feel so bad :)
Hayes from The Chopping Board (http://www.onthechoppingboard.com - Adelaide food and restaurant blog)
the dane

Post by the dane »

make one from any large tin or can!
I made this in 10mins! drank it first hahaImage

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
Nath

Post by Nath »

Both chimneys and looflighters have their purpose.
I have also had my looftlighter awhile and still going strong, doesn't get looked after either, a few times even left in the rain.
Works very well for lighting charcoal in the kamado without having to fire up the chimney.
Nath
waterboy

Post by waterboy »

Buy a chimney - it will change how you view cooking with solid fuel - I would even go so far as saying it is an essential accessory for any weber kettle. The heat bead baskets are good but a chimney does a far superior job.
Nath

Post by Nath »

waterboy wrote:Buy a chimney - it will change how you view cooking with solid fuel - I would even go so far as saying it is an essential accessory for any weber kettle. The heat bead baskets are good but a chimney does a far superior job.
You should still use the charcoal baskets in your kettle anyway. Chimney is just an alternate way of starting the fuel. Much more efficient.

The charcoal baskets are designed to keep the fuel located in a "pile" and to avoid direct contact with the kettle shell itself, not necessarily designed for lighting the fuel.

Nath
Nath
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

you can get cheap chimneys at a lot of places. its only the heat beads one that is $30
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Zorba wrote:you can get cheap chimneys at a lot of places. its only the heat beads one that is $30
And even that is cheap for the time and effort it saves. If it's going to hold a lot of red hot beads, I want good quality.

I use a gas torch most of the time. Cheap cans at Bunnings and the nozel from eBay. Also got a little devil which is great for lighting inside the kamado.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looftys are great for lighting a small spot (or two or three) in the Kamado for a long slow cook.

DaveW
Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!
DaveW

Proud owner of 'Red Mist' Royal Kamado, 'The Green Imp' Sakura Imperial Kamado 'circa 1970 and a Weber GA that, well....... goes anywhere! :D

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

We had this conversation over two years ago...I think before the Looft was here?

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =+heat+gun

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
peteru

Post by peteru »

Shane_H wrote:I have used a looftlighter for about 6-8 months and only recently invested in a chimney... man the chimney leaves it for dead if you want to get a bbq up to temp, by lighting a few spots with the looftlighter and waiting for it to get up to say 180c is prob at least 1/2 hr... with a chimney would be no more than 10-15min... id reccomend go straight to the chimney, i barely use the looftlighter anymore
WTF? Are you using the Looftlighter properly?

It takes me less than 5 minutes of continuous Looftlighter use to get a Kamado roaring. Light one spot just off centre, then back off and fan the flames through all the other charcoal, pointing in at around 45 degrees downwards and across the pile. It's very quick to get an inferno going if you use it like you would use bellows in a furnace.

Post by Chargrilled »

Yep another one here for the looft lighter.
Very quick to get going!
I've use a heat gun quite a few time and it just doesn't compare...
I used to use a hot devil weed burner, was ok but didn't have the fan to get the fire roaring.
ghent

Post by ghent »

Looft fan here as well.

- Make snake
- Point business end at snake
- Wait 1 stubby or 5 minutes, whichever comes quicker
- Adjust vents to previously marked spots
- Sync Maverick
- Retreat to aircon and pull the pork out next morning.

Magic wand!
2011 Webber kettle
Gasmate 4 burner hooded gasser
Gasmate Charcoal smoker
Terracotta chimnea