Slow Cooked Lamb in Weber Q!!

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Tasmaniac65

Re: Slow Cooked Lamb in Weber Q!!

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

first the Paving is looking good :D
second the cook is going good too I think, this is an early pic
currently well past 4 hrs and holding steady at 63c finally have a day to experiment so will keep it going.

Held it around 65c until 6 1/2 hrs then cranked Q up to Full removed the foil under trivet and let the Lamb have a few minutes direct heat before removing and wrapping in Foil and Towels and placing in Soft Esky.
Will unveil in about an hour or so at Swim Club can't wait to cut in :D
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Lamb was a success even the Boss was surprised at how juicy and tender it was especially for $6.99kg and I got plenty of compliments from the Swim Club crowd who thought it was a bit funny that I had it wrapped up in an esky :shock:
Thankyou for the advice on the cook Captain and Titch you guys made my first slow cook much less guesswork and more certainty, cheers.
Can't wait to try something similar again :D

oh and for those with a Q300 series it was fairly easy to maintain a low temp just using the middle burner as stated before and going between full and off on the dial occasionally needing a tweek but not onerous by any means.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Going to have another go at this again tomorrow with a 3kg Leg and lots of Garlic, and Rosemary from the garden but this time I will let the Lamb find its own Temp over time planning on starting after breakfast about 9am the Q300 will sit at around 110-115c quite well. The only disadvantage of the Q is that Roasts need turning as it does develop higher temps above due to foil being the heat barrier.
I am going to let the Temp climb as high as 80-90c towards end (late afternoon) hoping this is wise, cheers.
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

Good luck. Keen to hear how you get on.
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Tasmaniac65
I raise the trivet up on four small tins (used to be tuna tins).
This sits the trivet up a couple inches higher.
It raises the meat off the hot grill plate, eliminating the need for turning
and it also allows for an alfoil tray of hot water to slide in under the trivet.

With the dial halfway between off and hi, this allow for temperatures rock solid steady at even lower than 100c.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

I got plenty of compliments from the Swim Club crowd who thought it was a bit funny that I had it wrapped up in an esky :shock:
Yep weird mob, those BBQ people.

Cheers

Meat and eat
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Thanks for the advice boys always much appreciated.
I am working on a slightly raised trivet already so my raising rings might push it a bit high I would have thought by design it was impossible to do a cook on the Q and not turn as I assume the heat does circulate but surely still must be higher near the lid, but if you reckon you do without turning that sounds great.
Starting been in half an hour
Dial setting for low
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

Late in the day, but trying a Morrocan lamb shoulder (low and slow) in the Q320. Will send pics soon.
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

struggling to get temp below 120c (have regulator almost off and inside burner on lowest)
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

looks good mate, I like the idea of trays directly under the trivet might have to hit the cheap shop for some various sizes
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Must be a lamb weekend, I'm doing a leg for tonight, just a quick 180C job in the kettle.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
magste

Slow Cooked Lamb in Weber Q!!

Post by magste »

I also have problems keeping temp low in the Q. Below 130-140C is usually a struggle. Wedging the lid open a few cm will help but also increases airflow and removes any smoke you might be using. I've thought of trying with a water pan but in practice I use my Keg for all low and slow unless I'm out of charcoal or the coal is too wet to maintain a low temp.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Windsurf

struggling to get temp below 120c (have regulator almost off and inside burner on lowest)

Try using the alfoil as well as your trays to better keep the heat reflected down.
Will lower your temp somewhat.

Cheers

Meat and eat
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Windsurf wrote: struggling to get temp below 120c (have regulator almost off and inside burner on lowest)
As meat and eat says use the foil
If you cover 3/4 ofthe grill with foil you will find that the temp will lower to about 110, which is about the temp you need. Outer burner off middle burner on the lowest setting.

Cheers

Captain
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Has done a bit over 8 hrs had no trouble keeping temp down in fact to begin the cool lamb meant I just used the normal low setting on the middle burner just to get over 100c
in the esky she went at about 4:45pm in foil and towels, can't wait...