Sous Vide 30 hour Oyster Blade steak

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
titch

Sous Vide 30 hour Oyster Blade steak

Post by titch »

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by titch on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Titch
bodgy

Re: Sous Vide 30 hour Oyster Blade steak

Post by bodgy »

Looks great Titch, but, I'm gonna stick with BBQ'd all the way, or stewed on a BBQ.

And IF YOU DON'T EAT YA PEAS, YA DON'T GET YER PUDDIN!!!!
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Titch

That part where the sinew becomes a very sweet jelly & one minute per side, ... :)

Chalked
Last edited by Chalky on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
split

Post by split »

Titch,

How do you gather 30 hours is a good time? Im unsure how you guage the time to cook for in one of these setups?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The 30 hour point is user preference, the cellular structure remains intact until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 66C (at that point the liquid inside the cells expands to the point that the cell wall bursts) so at this temperature, you could hold it in the bath in its pouch for another couple of days if you want, the moisture cannot go anywhere, it cannot dry out or cook any further.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
split

Post by split »

so 30 hours could be over kill? If your just holiding it at this temperature will it alter it that much? would the difference between 10 hours and 30 hours be very noticeable?
titch

Post by titch »

split wrote:Titch,

How do you gather 30 hours is a good time? Im unsure how you guage the time to cook for in one of these setups?
I shall post a link to a graph that a mathematition did on this,I opted for 30 hours because it suited our movements on the weekend.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
split

Post by split »

that would be good thanks mate.

Having never eaten anything cooked this way i would be interested to try it. I just like to know the ins and outs of things.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ive not done it but I understand the science.
Split, The uncooked meat will resist the water temp and slowly get to an equal 56 deg C right through.
Just the same as me putting on a pork neck on my wsm @ 110C, It will stall at 55C for a long time before it will climb to the desired 92C, That can take 12-14-16 -18 hours.
You cannot test the internal temp of meat in a sealed bag, But it doesn't matter, Just let it go until there is no doubt (30 hours).
However your question is mine also, Why 30 hours for a two inch slab of meat?
There really must be some stalling going on in that bag,,,,,Ahhhhh :idea:
I think I just answered myself,
The long time at 56c is breaking down the collagen into gelatin and this takes time.
So if you bring it straight to 56c and take it off, It will not be tender. Just done medium rare and the collagen will still be collagen.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

I was reading the relevant section on collagen breakdown in Modernist Cuisine over the weekend. Basically - collagen is hydrolyzed (fancy name for "breaks down to gelatin") at a range of temperatures, but the breakdown occurs faster at higher temperatures. The problem is that higher temperatures also causes the collagen to contract, squeezing juices out of the meat. High temperature also causes breakdown of myoglobin, which is changes the colour of meat from red, to pink, to grey. With sous-vide cooking, we can take advantage of the other variable - time - and cook high collagen meat for many hours so that they hydrolyzation of collagen is complete.
Image Image Image
titch

Post by titch »

split wrote:that would be good thanks mate.

Having never eaten anything cooked this way i would be interested to try it. I just like to know the ins and outs of things.
Here you go.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

I am trying to get his book to Australia,so far its only available in the States and England.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hey titch, After using your slow cooker with the sou vid controller, What can you recommend in regards to the type of slow cooker itself?
Particularly in regards to the type of thermostat control you have on your slow cooker.
The breville non stick pot is out for me as I will also be using this to make cheese and therefore requiring the use of a long knife to cut the curds.
So a porcelain pot would do.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
titch

Post by titch »

Smokey Mick wrote:Hey titch, After using your slow cooker with the sou vid controller, What can you recommend in regards to the type of slow cooker itself?
Particularly in regards to the type of thermostat control you have on your slow cooker.
The breville non stick pot is out for me as I will also be using this to make cheese and therefore requiring the use of a long knife to cut the curds.
So a porcelain pot would do.
I have a breville 4.5 ltr with a ceramic pot.
I have a Kambrook 6 ltr with a ceramic pot.
Remember that the controller monitors and adjust's the heat.
The Breville and Kambrook both Have Low and High settings,Non electronic.(non Led display)
Would you like me to test one or the other at 30c?
See if these pictures I took of the Controller user manual help.
If not ask.
cheers.
Titch

Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

That is gold mate, Thanks.
I will hold off buying a slow cooker till I get the control unit.
I looked at them today and near bought a lcd button control :roll:
Nudda question.
How do you connect it to your slow cooker?
How does it control the cooker?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

My understanding is you plug the slow cooker into the controller, and plug the controller into the power. The PID opens and closes the relay allowing power to the slow cooker (or not)......that's why a digital one won't work..when the power goes off it won't re start without a human pushing the buttons.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!