Lamb shoulder snake method

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Sarg

Lamb shoulder snake method

Post by Sarg »

Hi all,

Having a second crack at a snake method lamb shoulder.

The last one was ok, invested a bit more reading and a maverick temp gauge so hopefully this one is better.

Im going to start it at 6am, as I'll be heading to work then. I should be home around 2pm though my wife will be home most of the morning.

One thing im wondering though is once the meat hits around that 180-200 degree mark are we supposed to take the meat off a foil it for resting or keep pressing on? How do you get a 10 hour cook if it hits that temp after 4 hours?

I was planning on asking my wife to wrap it in foil half way through. Might play that one by ear.

cheers,
Sarg
werewolf

Re: Lamb shoulder snake method

Post by werewolf »

How did the lamb go Sarg?

Can anyone answer Sarg's temp question above?

In addition, does it really matter how long it takes to get to this temp, or is it how long you hold it there?
chriso

Post by chriso »

Time at temp is better, that's why you wrap it, cover it with towels and put it in an esky for a few hours.

Plenty of people foil then after the stall, I like to be a bit more basic and don't foil it until it comes off when it reaches temp. When it hits 93c or so I'll take it off.
werewolf

Re: Lamb shoulder snake method

Post by werewolf »

Cheers Chriso. I'm hoping to try a snake with a sacrificial bit of meat over the over the holidays.
chriso

Post by chriso »

Just throw in a lamb or pork shoulder. They're really forgiving on temp so don't worry if the fire goes out or spends some time at 180c.