First ever Smoking and how to do better.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
joshbenham

First ever Smoking and how to do better.

Post by joshbenham »

Last weekend I got one of the cheap gasmate smokers (https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/prod ... x?id=20708) just for testing purposes and learning.

So on Saturday I got up really early and heated up about 2kg (half a bag) of briquettes (https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/prod ... spx?id=942) in a charcoal starter and I put it in the gasmate with a hand full of woodchips wrapped in foil.

Then I bought about a 1.5kg brisket and rubbed it with a premade rub that I found. I also made a rub and beef broth mix that I injected into it and let it stand for about 30minutes.

After that I put it on the smoker and left it for about 4-5 hours. The gasmate got roughly to about 200F and struggled to go higher which is not a bad thing but getting it that high sometimes took a while.

Then after about the hours I put it on for another 4 hours and filled up the briquettes with about another 2kg and then just through wet wood chips on it instead of the foil. We also filled up the water pan about 3 times in all this process.

After about 9 hours unfortunately we had to take it out of the smoker because my mate had to get going so we just wrapped it up in foil tightly and put it in the oven on 130C for about one hour.

For my first smoke it actually turned out pretty darn well and juicy.

Will add an attachment when it lets me.

My only questions is:
1. Is there anything that I missed out on which could benefit the process?
2. Are briquettes the best option? I found them a pain to light especially seeing as it was super windy?
3. For 1.5kg how hot and how long do you think would be needed for it?
4. What is the best way to render the fat as there was still a bit of fat.
5. Any advice would be awesome. I think I may try a pulled pork next even though the brisket was delicious.

I just want to get the hang of this before I actually go out and buy a better smoker.
joshbenham

Re: First ever Smoking and how to do better.

Post by joshbenham »

Last edited by joshbenham on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I'm not sure how many heat beads that holds but you might be better off putting a pile of unlit beads in first, then the lit beads on top. they will gradually burn down and keep you from having to add more fuel. As a first attempt, brisket isn't easy and if you master that, you are well on the way. What makes it tender and moist is the time it spends at the high temp internally while it renders down. Do you have a meat thermometer you can check it with ? They are an invaluable aid to good BBQ.

It looks like you had trouble posting a picture. There are instructions on how to do that in our welcome section.
joshbenham

Post by joshbenham »

Ok I fixed up the attached image.

Also I just had this as a thermometer: https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/prod ... x?id=20966

Roughly on a 10hour smoke how many beads would you possibly use for a 1.5kg brisket? Like I am not sure how long they should burn for. IT was hard because I could only get it max around 200F so I couldnt afford it to go cold at all which it did at one stage.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

For a start, you are fighting with a crappy smoker!....so that'd hard work.

Don't think about counting beads, that's over complicating the process, look up the Minion Method.

The rest of your process seems fine....its the crappy smoker that is your biggest problem!

...and that meat gauge is useless, the target temp is higher than it will go!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

The Minion method as Chris described is what I was suggesting. You already know how many lit beads get your smoker to a certain temp so all you have to do is use the same amount but have unlit beads underneath. maybe use a few lees as the new beads will catch and generate more heat but the used beads disappear as well. There's no set number as it depends entirely on the characteristics of your smoker. They will all be different so it's a matter of trialling one method and learning as you go. be prepared to stuff up a couple but keep trying, you will work it out and you have started well. Maybe add half the beads, have the new ones underneath and see what it gets up to. You can always add more. Or take a few out if you are too hot. Play/learning is the fun part. :D
joshbenham

Post by joshbenham »

@urbangriller I definitely know the smoker is crappy. There was no way I was going to go out and spend a k on my first smoke. This is more for the learning experience.

The actual gauge on the smoker was easily the worst part of this as it was running about 50F less than my hand gauge. Is there a gauge that you would suggest. I want to grow my tools over time.

Thanks the minion method looks like a good method that I will try next.

Curious what is a good mid range smoker that is worth looking at for my step up? Also what types tend to be preferred? The bullet shaped ones or the cabinets? For example ProQ or Hark.
Urban Pit Master

Post by Urban Pit Master »

Jump on Gumtree and grab a cheap Weber mate, will be the best move you make in BBQ. From there you will grow your kit and experience....
Instagram: #urban_pit_master
Twitter: @mackerelmatt
Big city food, cooked in the backyard. You can taste love in food...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Not sure why there are two posts of mine above? [MOD EDIT......one now gone]

Anywhoo.....Fighting with the cheap smoker, like I said will be a distraction from the learning process, believe me, I used to have one! It's imposable to maintain temperature in those, there is no airflow control. Just set it up as good as you can and live with the temperature issues, concentrate on the meat.

Cheers
Chris
joshbenham

Post by joshbenham »

urbangriller

For my first attempt I actually reckon the meat was pretty awesome. I manage to keep it around 100F most of the time. Its more techniques to try that I was wondering about. Like the minion method which is cool.

Also what other types of meats cook like brisket? I was thinking about throwing on some pork ribs in the same cooker as my brisket just need to work out the cooking hours.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

joshbenham wrote:urbangriller

For my first attempt I actually reckon the meat was pretty awesome. I manage to keep it around 100F most of the time. Its more techniques to try that I was wondering about. Like the minion method which is cool.

Also what other types of meats cook like brisket? I was thinking about throwing on some pork ribs in the same cooker as my brisket just need to work out the cooking hours.
Pulled Pork or Lamb Shoulder travel similar to brisket.

Cheers
Chris
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

joshbenham wrote:urbangriller

For my first attempt I actually reckon the meat was pretty awesome. I manage to keep it around 100F
I hope you mean 100c :wink:
joshbenham

Post by joshbenham »

Haha Whoops. Yeah I did.

I actually cannot wait for Saturday morning to try some more meats. I might see if I can get some nice pork ribs at my local.
JOCKs

Post by JOCKs »

Get a square cut shoulder (pork butt) and cook on feel. Not time and temp. Pork shoulder is forgiving, just put it on your pit and learn to control your temps. General rule is 3 hours per kilo at 225f. But yeah, cook till a skewer probes through like a hot knife through butter
joshbenham

Post by joshbenham »

Going to try Brisket again just because it tasted so good.

Also bought two nice racks of pork ribs. So looking if I can just throw them on the grill with the brisket.