Smoked rack of lamb?

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
thenewguy

Smoked rack of lamb?

Post by thenewguy »

Has anyone here ever tried smoking a rack of lamb in either a smoker or kamado? I had some at a wedding last year and it was amazing...i was thinking of attempting it, but I can't seem to find any recipes online.
urbangriller

Re: Smoked rack of lamb?

Post by urbangriller »

Was it still medium rare on the inside?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

I would say it was closer to medium, but everything was pink and the fat was properly rendered. It was delicious! Any ideas on how to cook something like that? Could it have just been reverse seared?
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

I remember it had a bacon like taste to it...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

If it tasted like bacon, it would have been brined first.

Have a look at this:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1073 ... eck-it-out

Cheers
Chris
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

urbangriller wrote:If it tasted like bacon, it would have been brined first.

Have a look at this:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1073 ... eck-it-out

Cheers
Chris
Chris that looks exactly like it!! Thank you!! I'm gonna try and replicate the Australia Day BBQ I'm gonna have!

Do you happen to have any good rub recipes for lamb you can share?
wedwards

Smoked rack of lamb?

Post by wedwards »

This inspired me to do a lamb roast on my WSM last night. Guests had lots of allergies so I inflicted some deep cuts in the main part of the roast then slathered it in Dijon mustard, salt, olive oil, maple syrup, and lemon juice for a couple hours before cooking. Threw some Rosemary branches on the coals to generate smoke. Guests reckon it was best lamb they ever had. I've not used mustard before but it had a really nice finish on the overall taste.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I'd just rub it with salt and pepper. Towards the end, I'd be tempted to glaze the rack with some mint jelly softened in a pot with some butter.

Cheers
Chris
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

wedwards wrote:This inspired me to do a lamb roast on my WSM last night. Guests had lots of allergies so I inflicted some deep cuts in the main part of the roast then slathered it in Dijon mustard, salt, olive oil, maple syrup, and lemon juice for a couple hours before cooking. Threw some Rosemary branches on the coals to generate smoke. Guests reckon it was best lamb they ever had. I've not used mustard before but it had a really nice finish on the overall taste.
Nice wedwards, any chance of any picture? It sounds delicious...how long did you let it smoke for?
wedwards

Smoked rack of lamb?

Post by wedwards »

Sorry it was eaten too fast so no pics. Had it on for about 3 hours at around 100 Celsius. Think it finished around 75 so I think it was overlooked even though it was still tender. Don't know the weight either, as father in law raises his own lambs. Will have to take more pics and notes next time.