Meat Cuts/Recipe tips for a noob

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Gday All,
Have read a fair bit here in the last few weeks.Hell of a lot of info.Anyway I'm after a bit of advise on a first big cook up on the new grill.
After doing some steaks and pizza on the new Primo Xl grill to get used to using it I am looking to do up some larger cuts of meat.
What do you recommend for a newbie to charcoal cooking?What meat?Beef,Pork,Lamb What cuts?What style?Roast/Low and Slow (Have a QMaster Senior coming)?
I have been thinking/drooling about
Pulled pork,ribs (beef/pork),Beef brisket,Beef Chuck or generally any large tasty hunk of meat...
Any of your experiences and advise would be great
Cheers
StoneX

Re: Meat Cuts/Recipe tips for a noob

Post by StoneX »

Pulled pork with shoulder or neck/scotch or pulled lamb with shoulder are pretty safe bets, hard to mess up. As long as you get the meat temp within the recommended range (190-205F) it'll come off pretty good, both will take a fair whack of time depending on what temperature you cook them at though.
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Cheers StoneX
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I agree, pulled pork rarely misses the mark taste wise and is hard to stuff up, as long as you have patience and are prepared for it to go through the stall period.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I have to vote for Pulled Lamb Shoulder....nothing like it!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
ralph

Post by ralph »

How do you do your pulled lamb shoulder ?? Temp/ rough times to allow...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I cook it at 107 (ish) Celcius, any thing from 7 hours to 9 hours usually. You are looking for that soft clean bone thing, it should be that soft it is hard to lift.

Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

What internal temps are you looking for on the lamb shoulder?? Injected or marinated? Rub???
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Start "poking"the Lamb at 90C, it's close to done.

I like plain treatments, save the sweet and the big flavours for making lollipops and ribs!

Basic Brine, maybe some garlic, basic Salt and Pepper rub.

Cheers
Chris
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

The pulled lamb I did last weekend was cooked at 225-250F (107-121C) and removed when the internal temperature was 190F (88C). Those temps are pretty flexible though as some people will cook it up to 205F (96C). And as urbangriller said, many experienced people will go by the "feel" of the meat to see if it's falling apart tender yet.
I just rubbed it with a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika the night before. It turned out fairly good, I preferred it over the pulled pork I also cooked. I might brine next time to get some more salt inside the meat.

Here's a few pics of it: 1, 2, 3, 4.
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Thanks again guys
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

StoneX wrote:The pulled lamb I did last weekend was cooked at 225-250F (107-121C) and removed when the internal temperature was 190F (88C). Those temps are pretty flexible though as some people will cook it up to 205F (96C). And as urbangriller said, many experienced people will go by the "feel" of the meat to see if it's falling apart tender yet.
I just rubbed it with a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika the night before. It turned out fairly good, I preferred it over the pulled pork I also cooked. I might brine next time to get some more salt inside the meat.

Here's a few pics of it:

Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Well yesterday I did a whole lamb shoulder (rubbed in salt, pepper ,chilli , mixer chopped garlic, mustard) on the Primo grill. Had the shoulder/leg cut into 2 pieces and on 2 racks. Deflector plates, drip pan were in along with the fire divider. Grill was at 110-120c for about 8 hours. Opened occasionally to baste with my homebrewed pale ale. I waited until internal temp got to 90c then took it off the grill, sooo soft and juicy the bone fell out of the meat as I was transferring it to the serving dish, Nearly lost it :shock: . used half the collected juices to make a gravy whilst meat was sitting and the other half to bake/roast chunks of pumpkin.
Bloody Good
Thanks to all for tips and helping me to do my best ever lamb
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Very nice Grillnoob :mrgreen:
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Want me to change your name yet ? Noob doesn't look right to me :D