What are you recording videos with?

Any general comments, video questions can go in here.
Please note, forum videos can only be viewed if you are a registered forum member.
yakabot

What are you recording videos with?

Post by yakabot » Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 pm

The only thing I have to record videos is my samsung galaxy S2. It has 2 recording choices, (that i've figured out). Either high quality or very low for things like instagram/facebook. The low quality is crap, but the high quality ends up with 100MB files, which is just too big to upload.
So, who's using what?

aussieant32

Re: What are you recording videos with?

Post by aussieant32 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:10 pm

I record all my videos with my dslr. Running a cannon 70D. Upload to YouTube for example and then link it here, removes the file size issue
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Record on your phone at max res, then use an editing package to trim it and save as mpeg4 for youtube.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

yakabot

Post by yakabot » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 pm

aussieant32 wrote:I record all my videos with my dslr. Running a cannon 70D. Upload to YouTube for example and then link it here, removes the file size issue
It's the uploading size that's a problem for me. On Optus cable, we I have amazingly fast download speed, but upload on cable sucks. Found a few more settings in my phone, so will play around with it.
Also, will upload a few to youtube and see how long stuff takes. Thanks.

edit - Sorry Chris. You replied whilst I was replying. Will take a look at proggies to resize,convert. Haven't really got in to the video side of computer things ever before.

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Thu May 21, 2015 8:20 pm

aussieant32 wrote:I record all my videos with my dslr. Running a cannon 70D. Upload to YouTube for example and then link it here, removes the file size issue
:) Another happy Canon 70D user here. I'd do the same as Ant.

Uploading 100mb these days is pretty standard Yaka, unless you have specific connection woes? Youtube is pretty amazing, it makes the files usable by automatically converting them to multiple qualities.

As an aside, this current month my downloads are around the 450Gb mark with one day left for the month. Thanks to netflix my half a terabyte per month plan is starting to feel cramped!!!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 pm

yakabot wrote: but upload on cable sucks
Truely nothing like the download, but I'd imagine on Optus cable you'd be getting at least 1Mb per second (if not 2). If so, 1Mb = 125KB (bytes)
125KB x 60 seconds = 7.5MB per minute.

A 100MB upload should finish in less than 15 minutes

yakabot

Post by yakabot » Thu May 21, 2015 8:45 pm

You're correct Narm. Just did a few tests and uploaded a vid approx 25mb and took about 5 mins all up, with whatever youtube does to it. Not as bad as I remember it being. So may have to start being annoying and making more videos. :D
The speedtest I just did. It's usually faster at downloading, but I guess it's peak hour right now. Even with the speedpack added, Optus have always been crappy at uploads.
Don't know why the image says 9:28am. I just did it about 7:30pm. Stupid internet

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Because we aren't in GMT :)
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Thu May 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Those are excellent numbers Yaka. Telstra cable is no better (although admittedly I don't have the speed pack, so this is standard cable):

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Thu May 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Mine are done with an iPhone. Then I used Microsoft movie maker to put all the clips together, edit out the bits with my head in them, add the sound track and then have the option to save in a number of different file sizes. Like Chris said, I save them as mp4s And YouTube converts it to a usable size whatever you send them.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Thu May 21, 2015 9:27 pm

yakabot wrote: Don't know why the image says 9:28am. I just did it about 7:30pm. Stupid internet
Thats the time in Greenwich (GMT)
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!