aldi chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
skuzy

aldi chicken

Post by skuzy »

Hi Folks

was short on time and figured id cheat and try out a pre-marinated chook from aldi one day... put her in the kettle and off she went ..

:shock: :shock: the flavour + juicynss of this thing!! definitely worth a go if u couldn be bothered brining etc..

$10 for 2kg.. not bad either

Cheers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: aldi chicken

Post by Davo »

Skuzy....I had bought some Aldi Chooks a couple of weeks ago and I reckon they were so bland, they must've been due to collect the pension :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

They are hit and miss IMO. The so called Aldi free range arnt too bad.
Look hard at the skin through the plastic. Any red brusing and I leave for some other sucker.
That red brusing/burning from shit (Or a downer as was decribed elswhere) can only happen while the chook was alive so use ya peepers :shock:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
SilvRFoxX

Post by SilvRFoxX »

Bit of a grave dig, but recently I have found Aldi doing trays of marinated chicken pieces for roughly 10 bucks.. these turn over quickly so figure they are reasonably fresh. I get them home and coat them in a maple sugar rub and leave them covered in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then take them out to get to room temp and put them in the kettle, needless to say they turn out great nothing is ever left over.. have them with a vinegar coleslaw
Weapons : Weber Genesis E330, Weber OTG Premium & Hark Patio Smoker
gnol

Post by gnol »

I've tried it half a dozen times and find it strange.
Haven't tried the organic one yet.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

I would add to that the Marinated Free Range Flat chooks from woolies, have done quite a few and all have been fanatastic, easy to cook just slip out of the bag straight onto the trivet put in the probe close the lid. Did two the other night on the Q300 excellent :D
gnol

Post by gnol »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:I would add to that the Marinated Free Range Flat chooks from woolies, have done quite a few and all have been fanatastic, easy to cook just slip out of the bag straight onto the trivet put in the probe close the lid. Did two the other night on the Q300 excellent :D
Blokes. I find these marinated ready to cook ones pretty much all taste the same. And their texture is just different. Maybe I'm not used to having marinated.
Wether from Aldi or Woolies.
Anyone else noticed the similarity?
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

yeh you are probably right Gnol it has been a little while since I have done my own brined bird of decent quality and you soon forget the flavour difference. For shear convenience and a reliable outcome with no prep they are still good, cheers
Tas
Gumb

aldi chicken

Post by Gumb »

I prefer some smoke rather than a marinade and I find the marinades stop smoke penetration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Remember those whole roasted chooks that KFC once had ten years ago? I used to chug them down like there was no tomorro. :roll:
Looking back has me thinking what there brine / marinade / method was.
Gumb, I agree but not all the time, I need to change things constantly or I get sick of it.
On the most, I stear clear of pre marinated anything but then who the hell knows what the missus will drag home because it was on special ? :roll: So YES I confess,,, I cook this bloody aldi stuff :x :shock: :mrgreen:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Gumb

aldi chicken

Post by Gumb »

I hear ya Mick, I'm much the same. I suppose you'd say I'm going through my unmarinated chicken phase :)

I'll confess too, I've eaten pre marinated chicken ,and I don't mind a bit of KFC :)

Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

I have a dose of KFC at least once a year, that way it always seems to better in memory than reality.
Tas
Gumb

aldi chicken

Post by Gumb »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:I have a dose of KFC at least once a year, that way it always seems to better in memory than reality.
Tas
Like mcdonalds, you need to satisfy a craving but half way through you wish you hadn't started.