Turkey Wing Pieces

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Angryman65

Turkey Wing Pieces

Post by Angryman65 »

Found out I had a tray of Turkey Wing Pieces in the fridge to do something with and had a couple of days off with the kids during the holidays so I thought I'd have a crack because I'd never tried them before.

Had a bit of a think, got a few opinions on the recipe questions section and decided to brine them first in the Captains Gourmet Chook brine mixture. Ended up 6 hours in the brine but they were pretty big chunks of bird.

Dried them out for a while and then gave them a dose of the Cajun Rub I got from Aldi a couple of weeks ago. Makes you sneeze a bit that stuff so I might have gone a little easier than I would with the Tex Mex.

Then into the weber imitation with a pile of beads each side and a drip tray holding about 1/2 inch of water. Left them there, turning once, until the probe told me they were 83.

Finished them off directly over the remnants of the coals for a few minutes to try and crisp up the skin with no real success.

And then it was time to eat.

Tender, moist and flavoursome even without adding any smoke, was going to give it some Banksia Nut, but had recently done a tray of blackfish fillets and a pile of chicken drumsticks with the smoke and the family wanted a change. Skin was nowhere near crisp but having never cooked Turkey before I don't know if it does crisp up. Next time I'll have a go at the drumsticks saw them after doing this and still reckon they came of an emu but they look like a challenge.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Yorto

Re: Turkey Wing Pieces

Post by Yorto »

Turkey drumsticks are huge. I just bought a pack of wings for my dog but will be going to buy more when I'm on days off to try, similar to how you have.

Looks good.
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Roughly how long did the wings take to cook?
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Bill44 wrote:Roughly how long did the wings take to cook?
3 beers.

Actually not 100% sure as I cooked to temperature. When they got to 83C on the temperature probe, i finished them off over the coals to try and crisp up the skin. Probably about a hour and a bit but I've learnt from bitter experience to cook to temp. there is no argument about still being raw when the smoke ring makes the flesh look pink.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Thanks mate, yeah I always cook to temp too but just wanted an idea of how long to start before meal time.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.