Gourmet Brined Chicken

Chicken, Fowl, Birds
Richie

Re: Gourmet Brined Chicken

Post by Richie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:55 pm

This might be a stupid question but, what sort of setup do you use for this? I've only really ever done the snake and indirect method of cooking. Can someone give me some guidance?

2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:48 pm

you mention snake, so i am assuming a kettle or similar. Indirect is the go, like a roast. Think 180-200deg for an hourish

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:49 pm

2browndogs wrote:you mention snake, so i am assuming a kettle or similar. Indirect is the go, like a roast. Think 180-200deg for an hourish
Beautiful, thanks, and yes, kettle bbq, I should have specified. So basically charcoal baskets either side and chook in the middle?

Also, another stupid question, I've only ever used briquettes but there is a local guy who sells lump charcoal that I really want to try. How do I go about lighting lump charcoal, just load a chimney full, get it started then dump on top of loaded baskets in the weber?

DAK

Post by DAK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi All,

I cooked a 2.4kg bird using the brine method for 1hr 45mins to internal of 80c on a Kamado Big Joe and it was perfect.

Just thought I'd share a time/temp experience as there's not much of that in the thread.

Thanks Captain for sharing.

Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:31 pm

DAK wrote:Hi All,

I cooked a 2.4kg bird using the brine method for 1hr 45mins to internal of 80c on a Kamado Big Joe and it was perfect.

Just thought I'd share a time/temp experience as there's not much of that in the thread.

Thanks Captain for sharing.
Glad you liked it.

The cooking time is dependant on many factors and changes between bbqs. That's why I give a finish internal temperature.

Cheers

meatbag

Post by meatbag » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:17 pm

I gave this method a try last night.

I used a bit more salt and sugar than posted. Around halfway between this and the original recipe. Cooked it in the weber charcoal.

The missus LOVED it! She is very quick to point out whenever her food is even slightly dry, she was over the moon with the juicyness of this. I'll certainly be keeping this one as a staple from now on.

snowfella

Post by snowfella » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Tried it for the first time tonight as a premiere use of my rotisseries and have to agree, great recipe!
Tossed in a small tray of potatoe wedges underneath the chook to soak up some of the juices lost while cooking and the wife used the remaining juices to make a gravy.

Excuse the POS Iphone shots :oops:
As it started

And as it ended up, golden and crunchy skin!

mymonaro

Post by mymonaro » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Look good. Well done!