Hi from Adelaide

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
toastmaster1973

Hi from Adelaide

Post by toastmaster1973 »

Hi Guys & Gals,
New to the forum. First post, been lurking for a month or two.
Been a gas bbq'er for ever but have wanted to get acquainted with charcoal for quite some time now.
The gas bbq is dying so now is the time :D
Anyway, picked up this beauty about 3 weeks ago.
After a quick clean she is good to go.
Looking to try it out tomorrow if I can - can anyone help with directions to cook a Lamb Shoulder? (1.9kg)
I've read several articles on indirect AND low n slow, what do you reckon for a first timer?
cheers
Toast
titch

Re: Hi from Adelaide

Post by titch »

Welcome mate.
read this heat-beads site, it will give you the amounts to what your trying to achieve.

http://www.heatbeads.com.au/tip/how-to- ... -you-need/

Great post here on the Snake method

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... ake+method

remember to not overthink it, you can start out with less heat beads and cook longer,achieves a slow cook automatically.
remember to get your meat to room temp, keep it out of the Wind if its blowing a gale.
Fully open top vent and control the airflow by the bottom one,
most of all have fun
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Nice old red head with two side handles, The cream of the crop.
The legs are not in the correct position, That handle on the front right of the body is where the leg with no wheel is placed below.
For Lamb shoulder, Pile up a chimney full of unlit heat beads up one side and place a dozen or so of lit beads on top of that.
Put your shoulder on the opposite side.
Set the bottom vent to a matchstick open and the top vent to half open.
See what that does and adjust from there. Ideal temp for an easy cook is 130C for about 4-5 hours on a 1.9kg shoulder
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
toastmaster1973

Hi titch,
thanks for the links - i'll do some more reading. Think I have gone round in circles over the last few weeks, like you say, don't overthink it. I'll let you know how i go.
Hey Smokey,
thanks for the heads up about the legs. I dissambled it to fit in my car, guess I put them on backwards :oops: Thanks for the cooking advice too, i'll post how i got on.
cheers
toast
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Welcome to the forum Toastmaster

Smokey & Titch have you sorted, so the only thing I will add is frozen chooks are cheap and are perfect for testing & learning, remember to asked anything your not sure about and post a picture or 2 of your cooks - good and bad.
If you need help to post pic's - sing out and will get you under way.

Cheers L
KEZZ

Post by KEZZ »

Hi mate,
congrats on the weber purchase.
I've always b*tched out when doing a lamb shoulder and chucked it in the oven, I think it's time to man up lol.
Hope your one turns out good. Don't forget to take some pics so we can see your handiwork.
toastmaster1973

Hi Guys
Well unfortunately I ran out of time to get a low 'n' slow on so I settled for an indirect cook straight out of The Complete Australian BBQ Kettle Cookbook.
Considering it was on for only around two hours it was alright. :) (my selectively vegetarian daughter even said it was ok! :shock: )
Kept the flavours simple (salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary & a drizzle of honey) very nice.

Bummed that I ran out of time but had fun and am inspired to do it all again next weekend, will be more organized this time.
Me thinks some home made Burgers might be good.
Hi Kezz,
Mate, give it a go. Was easy & fun. Not to mention delicious. Cant wait to do a Snake or Minion next time.Later.
Hi lockyer,
we go thru a lot of roast chooks around here so I can see that being a really good way to get some cooks under my belt, thanks.
Later guys
toast