Macaroni and Cheese

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
StoneX

Macaroni and Cheese

Post by StoneX »

Hi guys & girls,

Does anyone have a mac n cheese recipe that they have used repeatedly with good results that they'd happily share? I've followed a recipe previously which ended up with a gritty kind of texture. Nice flavour just not the smooth creamy texture I was hoping for. I've read the Modernist Cuisine recipe that uses emulsifiers but I'd rather just do it the old fashion way with a tried and proven recipe.

Thanks in advance :)
chrisg

Re: Macaroni and Cheese

Post by chrisg »

For such a simple dish it does seem to have a lot of different recipes :)

I really can't say that I follow any recipe in particular, just the way I've always made it which is to make a roue, add milk to make a white sauce, add lots of grated cheese to the white sauce, stir until all the cheese melts and set to one side.

Boil lots of salted water, cook macaroni until el dente. Drain into a baking dish, pour cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir through. Top with extra grated cheese and cook in the oven or wherever until the topping melts and browns.

You need to make lots of cheese sauce and to spike it up a bit include some mustard powder when making the roue.

My kids used to love it if I mixed some bread crumbs in with the topping cheese, makes for some crunch.

If your one was gritty I'd suggest it was the flour used to make the roue, for a really silky sauce try using rice flour.

Sorry I can't give more exact amounts, I just, um, make it ;)

Cheers
titch

Post by titch »

We think we have a recipe saved on our home computer, it's a ripper,ff
Rom an American forum buddy
Shall dig it out over the weekend
It was a 3 cheese blend
Cheers
Titch
titch

Post by titch »

Found it.
My wife made this after asking for an American Recipe.
Being fair here is a link to the original thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... oni+cheese

ironmanerik recipe below.
8 ounces elbow macaroni
3 ounces bacon (about 3 strips), sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for the pasta water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 11/2 cups)
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)

Cooking Directions
Prep time: 8 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Inactive time: 10 minutes Total: 38 minutes
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain the fat from the bacon-garlic mixture, and transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
Add the drained macaroni to the bacon mixture, and stir to combine.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and evaporated milk together. Add the 1 /2 teaspoon salt, cayenne, nutmeg, and grated cheeses, and mix well. Add the macaroni-bacon mixture, and stir well to blend.
Transfer the macaroni to an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish or gratin dish of similar size. Using a
spoon, gently spread the mixture to form an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the macaroni and cheese from the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving

Ours was cooked in the GMG pellet Cooker.
You can use any BBQ to achieve the same outcome
Cheers
Titch
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Whoo Titch, that's graduate class :)

It's a problem with a real simple dish that can get evolved forever.

I've mixed in bacon, and added eggs, I liked it, my critic kids were not so keen, but essentially once you get the core dish sorted you can do what you want, with respect to the laws of cooking, laid down by the mantra of common sense :)

Have to say though, real anti on that evap milk - horrible stuff :)

Cheers
titch

Post by titch »

chrisg wrote::)

Whoo Titch, that's graduate class :)

It's a problem with a real simple dish that can get evolved forever.

I've mixed in bacon, and added eggs, I liked it, my critic kids were not so keen, but essentially once you get the core dish sorted you can do what you want, with respect to the laws of cooking, laid down by the mantra of common sense :)

Have to say though, real anti on that evap milk - horrible stuff :)

Cheers
Use Cooking cream instead.
(Jalapeno shaved on the top crust )
Cheers
Titch
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty OCD with following recipes so I'll give titch's recipe a go soon.

I'm keen on making these as snacks and burger patties too.

https://instagram.com/p/07C7tzJhZw/

jims

Post by jims »

Macaroni Cheese - Edmonds Cookbook Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Edmonds plain baking flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups milk
salt n pepper
2 cups grated tasty cheese
2 cups macaroni elbows, cooked

Method

Melt butter in a saucepan.

Add onion and cook until clear.

Stir in flour and cook until frothy.

Add mustard.

Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens.

Remove from heat.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in half the cheese.

Add macaroni, stirring to combine.

Pour mixture into an oven­proof dish.

Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.

Cook at 190°C for 20 minutes or until golden and heated through.

Chopped cooked bacon or ham can be added to the sauce if desired.

Serves 4 - 6
Dragon Kamado w/ QMaster Lite - Just add alcohol!
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Thanks jims, i'll give that a go too :)
Mickvr

Post by Mickvr »

I've tried the pelletheads recipe a few times, and love it.

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?PHPSES ... ic=16793.0

The first time I followed the recipe to the letter except for browning the top, and I haven't premelted the butter, just sliced it thin and layed it over the mac elbows before adding the rest. Lovely.

Finding any type of Jack style cheese was a pain, and expensive. So I asked some cheese makers that I deliver for "what is a descent replacement cheese?". Now I just use Mainland Colby in it's place in all recipes. Similar texture, taste and melting point, only difference in cooked cheese terms is that Monterey Jack is a lot paler in color, so if you want the end results a bit paler than Colby, spend the money, a descent colby is a easier to find and cheaper replacement.

The next time I cooked this I used Colby in place of the Jack, so 2 lots of Colby. I didn't notice any difference, not even in color. Still great and easy.

The third time I made this, I added a 125g can of corn kernels and 10 rashers of home made maple belly bacon cut in 5mm squares (Not Pre-Fried), and a dash each of paprika and cayenne. Low and Slowed at 225f with a brisket. Tastegasmic !!!

Next time I intend to add bread crumbs to the top in the final cook to see how it goes.

P.S I never browned any of the cooks in a broiler (Top Grill) and all have been done in my GMG Daniel Boone.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

looks like you have it covered. I made my own recipe up from a mish mash of others. Cant beat mac'n'cheese
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
choicebro

Post by choicebro »

Love the Edmonds cook book Jims, so many great recipes in there.
It was the absolute bible for cooking when I was growing up and learning how to cook.

I am interested in the Mac cheese patties or cakes or whatever they are in the pic posted by StoneX, anyone got a recipe for these?
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

choicebro wrote:I am interested in the Mac cheese patties or cakes or whatever they are in the pic posted by StoneX, anyone got a recipe for these?
As far as I know they just make mac n cheese, put it into moulds (or cut into shapes after freezing), freeze it, crumb it, fry it... Eat it!