pizza ovens!

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Booma

Re: pizza ovens!

Post by Booma »

More so for some more cooking room, the pizza oven is fantastic, but little harder to control temps, if it too hot, you need to wait quite a while etc. for it to cool down and also it does cook very evenly but anything that is too close to the wood burns very easily.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Booma wrote:More so for some more cooking room, the pizza oven is fantastic, but little harder to control temps, if it too hot, you need to wait quite a while etc. for it to cool down and also it does cook very evenly but anything that is too close to the wood burns very easily.
You don't need to explain the need for another BBQ here!......maybe you'll need to do some swift manouvering at home though! :D

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Booma

Post by Booma »

urbangriller wrote:
Booma wrote:More so for some more cooking room, the pizza oven is fantastic, but little harder to control temps, if it too hot, you need to wait quite a while etc. for it to cool down and also it does cook very evenly but anything that is too close to the wood burns very easily.
You don't need to explain the need for another BBQ here!......maybe you'll need to do some swift manouvering at home though! :D

Cheers
Chris
Ah all is good at home, no problems unless i'm spending money on the car...... haha
Booma

Post by Booma »

Couple of chooks from sunday night. Had the hearth at about 300deg, in there for about 2 1/2 hours, finished with the door shut, internal temp 170

BBQ in QLD

Post by BBQ in QLD »

Booma. Thanks for all the info. There are a few DIY pizza oven kit suppliers in WA. Could you tell me which one you used and how you arrived at deciding on that one?
Booma

Post by Booma »

It was Alfresco Pizza Ovens, i was looking at pizza ovens from all over the counrty for months and months. It came down to Alfresco and Forno Bravo (american company with suppliers in australia)
I think Forno may be a bit higher quality, as in the hearth, dome, etc, is thicker, wider but they do cost quite a bit more, and also at the stage i was buying the were still setting up the australian supplier and were a little slow with info etc. They would have been set up for at least a year now, and would be worth looking into also.

Decisions are hard as there is so many brands from all states. Alfresco were quick with responses and very helpful, main reasoning behind the choice.

Still if i had the time, and dollars i would build a Real Wood Fired Oven, fire bricks, concrete slab etc, but also wanted it to be mobile and located on the deck.

May build one in the backyard one day
BBQ in QLD

Post by BBQ in QLD »

Thanks Booma. Appreciate your advice and sharing your experience. I agree; there are so many options depending on your requirements, setup/environment, budget, etc. I fell in love with the Zesti Z1100 but I'm nowhere in the ballpark to spend that amount. Their DIY is a little lighter on the wallet but I'm leaning towards the Gourmet (model) from Gourmet Woodfired Ovens in WA (http://www.woodfiredpizzaoven.com.au/go ... en-kits/83) as I really it's clean lines and the stainless steel fascia.
Booma

Post by Booma »

They look really good and very good value, i think my fire bricks/pavers were only 25mm thick, so 32mm will hold the heat longer. Also internal dimensions are a little bigger than mine
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Beermee,

Here a video in putting a Roberto's pizza oven together you may get a few ideas from this. MM :D :) :lol: :wink: 8) :P

beermee wrote:i am keen to build a pizza oven soon. any tips, advice?

anyone got one? how often do you use it? what do you cook in it?

feel free to post some picks of you oven (please)... i am keen to see whats out there....
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

I'm just curious how long it takes to heat up to the desired 300 degrees for cooking pizzas

I have a glen dimplex pizzeria 600, and from kindling fire, to hardwood, its taking approximately 30 minutes to get upto that temperature
however reading online, tells me it takes most well over an hour?
beer&sausages

Post by beer&sausages »

Hi everyone this my first time here

With regard to pizza ovens, I might be able to help with some of you questions.

First I should say if you’re cooking in a WFO don’t be in a hurry it’s a process , for example when you cook forked or pulled pork you start with lighting the BBQ and getting everything ready probably takes about 1 hour tops and then cook for 4 to 8 hours depending on the size of what your cooking . A WFO is similar just reversed, spend 4 or 5 hours getting the fire and dough ready and cook the pizza in 4 to 7 min max. With the overall time for both processes about the same .The only thing I would add is the WFO is more labour intensive than the pork.

I have built a wood fired oven and it took about 6 months to complete, it could have been done quicker but Say Lave.
With regard to how often do we use it? I have used it at parties and to be honest its hard work however with just a couple of close friends is fine because they either help with the oven or look after themselves.

But the best time I have with it is in the cooler months when working in the garden and there’s just the two of us , a few of hours before we finish for the day I will light it and put a log on whenever I happen walk past then cook pizza from leftovers in the fridge or even a roast .

Hope the above was helpful if you have questions about building don’t hesitate to ask

B&S
Beer@sausages
2 working Gassers
3 charcoal webers (1out on loan)
1Hark smoker (one ! I know only one)
1Awesome wood fired oven (built myself but had to leave behind)
Kamado Grill ( hopefully one day )
1 wife who keeps saying, Why?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

beer&sausages wrote:Hi everyone this my first time here

With regard to pizza ovens, I might be able to help with some of you questions.

First I should say if you’re cooking in a WFO don’t be in a hurry it’s a process , for example when you cook forked or pulled pork you start with lighting the BBQ and getting everything ready probably takes about 1 hour tops and then cook for 4 to 8 hours depending on the size of what your cooking . A WFO is similar just reversed, spend 4 or 5 hours getting the fire and dough ready and cook the pizza in 4 to 7 min max. With the overall time for both processes about the same .The only thing I would add is the WFO is more labour intensive than the pork.

I have built a wood fired oven and it took about 6 months to complete, it could have been done quicker but Say Lave.
With regard to how often do we use it? I have used it at parties and to be honest its hard work however with just a couple of close friends is fine because they either help with the oven or look after themselves.

But the best time I have with it is in the cooler months when working in the garden and there’s just the two of us , a few of hours before we finish for the day I will light it and put a log on whenever I happen walk past then cook pizza from leftovers in the fridge or even a roast .

Hope the above was helpful if you have questions about building don’t hesitate to ask

B&S
Mate, thanks for the input but you say it takes as long to cook a pizza in a WFO as it does to do pulled pork in a Kamado. I rest my case :D

I'm doing pizza tonight and it will take about 30 mins to get the Kamado up to speed and around 10 minutes per pizza to cook.
Booma

Post by Booma »

My pizza oven takes between 45 to 60 minutes to heat up for pizza and cooking time for a simple margherita is about 45 - 60 seconds.

Pizzas with more toppings are about 2-3 minutes per pizza. I try to keep my pizzas very minimalistic thought. Garlic, Cheese and 2 or three toppings.
beer&sausages

Post by beer&sausages »

Hi Gumb

Sorry there must be some confusion I never mentioned Kamado. I was just giving some feed back to the original post that wanted some feedback from someone who had built and used a WFO

If I was to compare somthing with a Kamodo, I would have to say Weber !

Same Fuel
Same cooking method
one third the cost
portable
Robust
outstanding after sales service

" I rest my case "
Beer@sausages
2 working Gassers
3 charcoal webers (1out on loan)
1Hark smoker (one ! I know only one)
1Awesome wood fired oven (built myself but had to leave behind)
Kamado Grill ( hopefully one day )
1 wife who keeps saying, Why?
talisker63

pizza ovens!

Post by talisker63 »

Admit I have a bias but I would also say that the after sales service on my Kamodo is second to none. The owner called me to check it was delivered ok and I had no problems setting it up. And he is available to take calls on cooking questions!

Yeah the Komodo Kamado does cost a LOT more.