pizza ovens!

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Booma

Re: pizza ovens!

Post by Booma »

New guy here, over xmas i built this pizza oven from a kit. Absolutely love it. Pizzas in 90 seconds. Unreal

Any question, ask?

I use this maybe once a week weather permitting, pizzas are great, wont eat store bought, also done ribs, roasts and beer butt chickens
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good work Booma!

chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
beermee

Post by beermee »

looks great booma!

Where'd you get the pizza over kit?

How hard was the build process?

Any problems/dramas? Any tips?

How good are the pizzas?
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Booma

Post by Booma »

The kit came from W.A, delivery was week or so, Build process was simple. Took two days total working time. The stand i got made at a steel fac shop, but you could make your won brick/concreta stand.
The oven itself is in 2 pieces of high temp concrete, you do one mortart join as shown in the photos, dries in a hour. Then foil, insulation material, chicken wire and then one coat of plain colored render. 24 hr dry time. Top coat of colored render, 24 hr dry time, then 48 hrs of constant heating, i used heat beads and monitored the temp with a laser thermoter. Built it all myself, just had a help lifting the pieces up.

Only thing that was a bit tricky was making the chicken wire sit nice and tight over the insulation wool. (bloody itchy as)

I have never used render etc. previously and didnt have any issues.

Pizzas are unreal from it. 90 seconds a pizza most the time.

peteru

Post by peteru »

Booma wrote:90 seconds a pizza most the time.
How many hours to get it up to temperature? Our next door neighbour usually has the wood fire going for 2-3 hours before he gets to cook the first pizza.

Post by Deano »

Mine cooks a pizza in about 90 seconds as well. They say that it should take 20 minutes to get to temperature but in reality it's more like 40 for me. I haven't used the oven for a couple of months because of wet / cold weather. I'd say it will need a decent fire in it the first time I use it again because it's water logged!
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.
Booma

Post by Booma »

Mine takes about 45 minutes to get up to cooking temp, and throw a log on every half to one hour I suppose when cooking for big groups.
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Nice work Booma. I'm interested in your thoughts on how well this goes for the ribs, chooks and other general q'ing. Obviously a good choice for pizza!

The continuing lack of charcoal at a decent price in Perth has turned me off kamados a bit.
The lack of pellets at a decent price for pellet smokers has turned me off Traegers a bit.
Gas does nothing for me and Heat Beads are starting to wear out their welcome in the kettle.

So I'm looking for a good wood burner - fire wood is relatively cheap. A better offset would be nice (I picked a small one up off the side of the road one day) but I have to split too much wood to get it down to the right size. Not all of us can afford or find space for a Gordy like Commander Cody!

In one of these it looks like I can use decent sized pieces of wood and achieve some nice Q. What are your thoughts? Good for low 'n slow and indirect cooking?
Deano

Post by Deano »

I've had the wood fired oven for about 6 years and to be honest apart from pizza and bread (which I think it's awesome for) I think there are better options for other BBQing (for me). Never tried a low and slow in it. Other roasting of joints I found it had too much direct heat. Having said that my oven isn't huge. Really good for pulling some coals forward and grilling a steak etc on a grate. Cleanest thing in the world to use. Just pull coals forward when you've finished cooking to burn any food off the floor of the oven and then sweep it out later. From what I've seen if you want to do low and slow I think a WSM / ProQ would be the way to go. Some others experiences might be different though. Deano.
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.
Booma

Post by Booma »

Yeh i have done ribs a few times, pork belly and roast chooks and leg of lamb. Ribs were in for about 3-4 hours, once the temp had dropped in the oven threw some hickory over the wood and shut the door, set and forget. Came out great, meat just fell off the bone.

But i also want a offset smoker, can never have too many toys.

Deano

Post by Deano »

Those ribs look great!
titch

Post by titch »

It all looks great :P
Cheers
Titch
barls

Post by barls »

damn those chillis look tasty. damn you, recipe???
Booma

Post by Booma »

Jalapeños cut down the middle, majority of seeds and placenta removed, stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and caramelised onion, wrapped in bacon a cooked until nice and crispy. I have jalapeño poppers at least once a week
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Some sensational looking food there!

I don't know what an offset would do for you that you aren't already doing with this?

But sure - I guess it would be another toy!