wood over charcoal

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
HannibalK1ng

wood over charcoal

Post by HannibalK1ng »

New to smoking but noticed that charcoal is quite expensive.

is there any reason that i cant use firewood?

i bought some hotshots firewood from bunnings today as thats all i had time for.

should i use it once i wrap my meat in foil for cheap heat?

im thinking use charcoal/briquttes and hickory chuncks when i want the hickory flavour but afterwards just use wood for the heat?

any problems in doing this?

Thanks!
Gumb

Re: wood over charcoal

Post by Gumb »

I assume we are talking about an offset smoker ? I don't own one (yet :) ) but my understanding is that wood is what you mainly use. A bed of heat beads or charcoal to start off, then add wood as required to maintain the fire. Wood will give you a hotter fire than charcoal or heat beads.
HannibalK1ng

Post by HannibalK1ng »

but will the wood give flavour?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

depends on the wood. You can always add a smoking tube of flavour pellets etc. That would be better than buying different types of wood and a lot cheaper I think. Hickory chunks would be fine too.

You have a similar thread going in the smokers section so I suggest you ask the questions in there as part of that thread, then others can see what advice you've already been given. Urban Griller gave the response in there on adding wood to the fire after getting a base of beads or charcoal going.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

HannibalK1ng wrote:but will the wood give flavour?
Yes, that's how an offset works.

What are you cooking on?

And What are you cooking?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!