Pellet cookers in the tropics

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Pellet cookers in the tropics

Post by Davo »

Mick, one of the smaller Traegers might be the go for your family, they really are a good sturdy unit.

The L'ill Tex and the Jr are a much smaller pitt area but that also works into their advantage of getting to the temp quicker. I was also told by the previous distributor that the Jr top temp is much more than that of the TEX 075 that I had and that Mr Brown and Captain still has.

If the GMG grills come out (I think these are what you're waiting for) I think they may be priced pretty much intermediate between Yoder and Tragers, I'd say around the $2,500 or there abouts. The Daniel Boone that Bentley has looks like the right size for near anything.

I will get another Pelletpooper again one day.......but that'd be up to my BBQ gods. :roll:

I know Kevin has somewhat tired of his Traeger, I don't know if it's because it doesn't perform or he secretly desires one of the Y's (sorry Kev, just guessin' mate :wink: ) but he has Gordy for his big family Do's which he likes to play with so he won't get pissed too quick :lol: :lol: I think though it might be the due to the availability to the pellets, it's a fair hike to anywhere just to get a few bags from where he is.
Why not make a deal with Kev for his Traeger....it's a higher model than I had and is shaped more like a regular BBQ rather than the offset shape of mine.

I must say though, I really enjoyed my Traeger when I had it and I do wish I still had it, the taste of food that came off that grill was awesome, not over-powering which sometimes can happen with smoke wood on coals but just a subtle smoke where I had the Kettle, WSM & Q220 to do the real Hot & fast grilling jobs.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Your right Davo, I suppose I am stuck on the GMG from my limited readings abouts.
That buget would be about right also.
Dont want to jump the gun though, Im thinking into the future and where I want to be with my "Tools"
Ive got too much stuff that does not get used so in the back of my mind Ive set a thought process to minimise the amount of derilicks sitting around and concentrate on a core group that would all get used.
That and I have to make the patio more to "Her indoors" requirements :oops:
No rush
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Smokey Mick wrote:Your right Davo, I suppose I am stuck on the GMG from my limited readings abouts.
That buget would be about right also.
Dont want to jump the gun though, Im thinking into the future and where I want to be with my "Tools"
Ive got too much stuff that does not get used so in the back of my mind Ive set a thought process to minimise the amount of derilicks sitting around and concentrate on a core group that would all get used.
That and I have to make the patio more to "Her indoors" requirements :oops:
No rush
Mick
I love my Traeger, but it doesn't get enough use now. It's great to have the variety of equipment but after a while you settle down and just use a few, I find that my genesis and performer are getting the most use now and the others get used on an occasional basis. My Traeger is the 075 and does great snags, I smoke them and serve them up as a mid afternoon snack to the gatherings and then do the meat for dinner. The snags come up a treat. I have gone off the 16 hour cooks in the Traeger now - just can't be bothered.

So mate, in essence, after the shine has gone so does the enthusiasm for a particular piece of equipment.

Captain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thats kind of where Im at Cooky, with all but the sumit and the green egg.
The wsm gets a look in but only when doing butts and briskets.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

A bit like a bloke with a shed full of motorcycles Mick, the old faithful commuter comes out to head to work, the adventure bike comes out twice a year to do a cross country fire trail trip, but the Cruiser comes out only on a sunny Sunday arvo to the coffee shops. :lol:

Like yourself, the WSM sits there with nothing to do most the time, gets a look in every 3rd Month perhaps, the Q320 does most of the quick stuff and the weekends If I'm not working, the Performer gets a go.
If I sold the WSM, I may miss it but realistically, I just don't have the social numbers to warrant it, nor have I the yard space (townhouse) for large groups and most the time..I just don't have the time for huge cook-ups much anymore.

I guess that every now and then, one's life changes and some things have to make way for this change.

It's only Myself & the Mrs, we could probably just make do with the Q320 but I've still gotta be able to play with fire sometimes :roll:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Dave, I just don't see it being anywhere near that high. That would be 230% more then what it sells her for in the States, and knowing the company, I just don't see that happening. Its MSRP here is $759. If it sells there for more then $1500, I will be shocked. I would think it would be about what the Traegers sell for, maybe even slightly less...
Davo wrote: If the GMG grills come out (I think these are what you're waiting for) I think they may be priced pretty much intermediate between Yoder and Tragers, I'd say around the $2,500 or there abouts. The Daniel Boone that Bentley has looks like the right size for near anything.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Found them in the UK Standard Daniel Boon is RRP 695 Pounds (Including 20% vat and delivery)
So should be cheaper than $1200 AU.
I may get to keep the wsm afterall
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Bentley wrote:Dave, I just don't see it being anywhere near that high. That would be 230% more then what it sells her for in the States, and knowing the company, I just don't see that happening. Its MSRP here is $759. If it sells there for more then $1500, I will be shocked. I would think it would be about what the Traegers sell for, maybe even slightly less...
Davo wrote: If the GMG grills come out (I think these are what you're waiting for) I think they may be priced pretty much intermediate between Yoder and Tragers, I'd say around the $2,500 or there abouts. The Daniel Boone that Bentley has looks like the right size for near anything.
OOOPS!! :oops: Hehehe Thanks Bentley.....I was just actually guessing but if they are only going to be that much, one might very well just find a home at my place. I guess it depeds on how available they will be here and who will stock them.

Now that our dollar is sinking faster than an asylum seeker boat, it's hard to know what anything from USA will cost these days.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Bentley wrote: Its MSRP here is $759. If it sells there for more then $1500
If that's the case I'm keen. I would be more concerned with the electronics than general rust in the salt air here SM. That being said spent most of yesterday morning cleaning rust from the holes in a Weber Q burner that rarely gets used.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Not a long track record for electronics, but have had one for 3 years and another for almost 4 years and no issues with electronics!
Card Shark wrote: If that's the case I'm keen. I would be more concerned with the electronics...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Bentley, thank you, good to know. Hopefully the same will transpire here.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I have been thinking about this post, and I think it only fair to whomever the dealers are going to be down there...to state this is pure speculation on my part. I know nothing about what the price will be...and before I do anger future dealers want to make it known that I really have no idea what pricing will be for you all!

I hope I am close! And I also hope I have not stepped on any toes!
Bentley wrote:Its MSRP here is $759. If it sells there for more then $1500, I will be shocked.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

No worries Bent ol mate, we Aussies are used to paying the premium prices on everything.

A lot has to do with our business and taxation structures of whole and retail catagories but also anyone making a massive investment on getting their stock here and warehousing it, its a costly exercise being south of the equator.

Dave from Grillpro could give you more an accurate idea of why it cost so much here.

Also both the wholesaler & retailer have to make a profit for their livelihoods.
Cheers
Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Smokey Mick wrote:Although I could stuff the wsm in the roof I suppose,,,,,
Do that,,,,, and the kettles too.

You might have to do some restructuring however, of your man hole opening.......

Best to schedule the works when the missus goes on holidays :lol: :lol:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.