Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Card Shark

Re: Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Post by Card Shark »

skuzy wrote:ok so where the hell is everyone sourcing this stuff from...
Local stuff in neighbors yards or parkland that nobody wants. Keep an eye out and let your mates / neighbours know what your looking for. Also consider doing some bartering with fellow BBQers. Amazing what can turn up FREE!
BeachedBro

Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Post by BeachedBro »

BeachedBro wrote:Hi guys, just landed at the Mother In laws for xmas and last night she made the best lamb roast I've ever had in her new pizza oven. So smokey ! Anyway I asked why timber she used and she said she's using the tallowwood tree they cut down last year. I haven't seen it mentioned in here. Has anyone had any experience with it? Its magnificent.
Hey guys anyone had any experience with Tallowwood? Would love to know. Thanks
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Have not seen or tried it Beachy. Looks like it grows pretty large (70m). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_microcorys
Mickvr

Post by Mickvr »

Skuzy, if your melbourne - ish based, give a me a PM, for basic fruitwoods like apple, peach, apricot etc, I can put you in touch with growers in the dandenongs and murray/goulbourn region that I deal with in my job as a refridgerated driver. They retire paddocks of tree's each year or every second year to keep tree age rotation happening in their orchards. Everyone I've spoken to are happy for me to come and remove a tree out of the aged paddock, only caveate is, you have to remove entire tree, trunk, branch, leaves. They don't care about root stock, they bulldoze / rip that back into the ground.
They are also happy for anyone to come and remove branches they've pruned, but you have to take away complete branches, leaf and all. This may seem reasonable, but you get a lot of stick, but most is way to thin for long duration burns.
I'm too time poor to use either method, so I buy from Terry of Aussie BBQ Smoke, and find him a pleasure to deal with and VERY reasonably priced.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

thanks for sharing those details mickr.. im based in Syd ..

i might have to drop a line to terry @ Aussie BBQ SMoke :D
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

just thikning more about locally sourced wood and wanted to get opinions on this to see if im way off track....

when thinking about iron bark, red gum, yellow wood.. i see these alot on the www when googling firewood..

eg http://www.rousehillfirewood.com.au.sdw ... -p-g-m-1t3

https://bettaburnfirewood.com.au/?gclid ... AgGT8P8HAQ

OR even as an extreme example... the firewood you can buy at servo's, bunnings etc.. (havent looked into the type of wood they use for this).

Are these suitable for smoking food ??
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

skuzy wrote:...OR even as an extreme example... the firewood you can buy at servo's, bunnings etc.. (havent looked into the type of wood they use for this).
In my early smoking sessions, I used the redgum firewood from the local servo, I seasoned my offset with it too... I had no issues.

Now I have a question...

I've just picked up some nice dry crabapple branches from my folks and docked them down to good little smoking chunks and was thinking of using them for smoking my next batch of bacon.

The matrix says it's good for pork, but will it be too subtle for bacon? I could always use it in conjunction with hickory, but maybe that would just overpower the crabapple and be a waste of the wood.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day GarthFader,

Page 14 of this Topic explains that Crab Apple is similar to Apple, and is of the same family tree.... It would be a mild smoke that has the standard Apple moisture adding quality, I'd add some Cherry Chunks to sweeten the smoke up a bit for Bacon.
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

Thanks for the reply... Unfortunately the chances of me finding cherry before Sunday are pretty slim.

I've used hickory for the bacon before with good results... I might just stick with that rather than adding a variable to the mix, and save the crabapple for another cook.
longwayfromhome

Post by longwayfromhome »

I was going to ask about she-oaks - Casuarina sp. It has a general OK from the matrix but there are quite a few species and potentially the smoke qualities vary like the Eucalyptus species do. If anyone knows, I am particularly interested in C. cunninghamiana - the River she-oak so well known to Qld and NSW people. It is a very common shade-belt tree here in the NI of NZ.

Anyway, I was doing my due diligence and came across this (the Australian Pine they refer to is a general name for several Casuarinas they use in the US)...
"Seasoned outdoor cooks in Florida say it is one of the best woods for barbecuing adding a nice flavor to meats. Australian Pines have been called the best firewood in the world, and it can be burned green off the stump (as can ash.) India plants forests of them just for firewood. The Australian Pine is also noted for its firewood leaving a pure white ash that was ideal as a clothes whitener prior to commercial whiteners." found here... http://www.eattheweeds.com/australian-pine/ ... quite a neat integration of BBQ across the AU and USA environments!

A word on Yellow Box - this is the primary tree for native honey in Australia - a wonderful gift for Australians. I'd go easy with the chainsaw guys, plenty of others to choose from :) .
Ralph in Auckland
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Card Shark wrote:Revision 27. Additions:- Apple Box, Almond, Acerola, Carambola, Quince and Messmate. If I missed any please let me know. CS

Question - the matrix says cedar is no good for smoking, and yet, I and others have used cedar planks to great effect. Why then is it not recommended ???
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Fine for Cedar plank fish etc, but if you were going to use it as a smoke flavor it's not so good, bitter and "fragrant" and resinous, a bit OTT for most smoking.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Fair enough Chris, thanks
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

This chart is a historical document showing the world that we have found, smoked, tasted, and classified more wood smoking varieties and flavours here, than most countries have.

We were asked a while back why we were selling CEDAR PLANKS, when CEDAR is listed at the bottom of the Matrix Chart on our Home Page as 'Not Recommended for smoking'. To clarify this: Cedar Wood Chips generate too much smoke that easily oversmokes food and makes it taste bitter, BUT a little smoke from a Plank is just right!

The quote below is from:- http://www.the-grilling-spot.com/wood-chips.html
"Even cedar wood chips are known to smoke a lot. Ironically, cedar scores highly in plank grilling. Softwood chips tend to emit bitter-like smoke"
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Revision 28. Mangrove, Tallowood and Casuarina (Australian Pine) added. Red Gum duplicate removed. CS