Lemon Dijon BBQ’d Rabbit with Risotto Milanese side

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
shayneh2006

Lemon Dijon BBQ’d Rabbit with Risotto Milanese side

Post by shayneh2006 »

Hey all. As I love Rabbit, I thought I would post here one of my favourite ways of cooking it.

The main is French inspired with an Italian side (done on the stove top for ease).

These recipes are not my own but give them a go for something different as I guarantee you will fall in love with this dish.

The Rabbit

One Rabbit (mine shown is 1kg+)
1.5 tbls lemon juice
1 tbls Freshly cracked black pepper
2 tbls Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
4 tbls good Olive oil

Mix everything in a bowl.
Portion Rabbit and mix with marinade, cover and fridge for at least three hours.
Try to get as much of the marinade off the rabbit as you can then Drain marinade and place in a small saucepan.
Bring to boil and simmer for five minutes.
Set aside for basting.
Oil grill and on medium heat, cook Rabbit for Twenty or so minutes, turning a few times, basting in the final five minutes.

Meanwhile…………………

Have the missus do the rice or, like me, get stuck multi tasking :twisted: :x :twisted: :x :twisted:

The Rice
65 grs butter (I like using Ghee)
1 onion chopped
210 grs uncooked rice (I like using Basmati)
750ml Chicken stock
¼ tsp Saffron Flowers
40ml boiling water
30grs grated or shaved Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper

Saute Onion until golden
Add rice and cook for ten mins moving all the time.
Add one cup of the stock. Mix well.
Dissolve the Saffromn in the boiling water
Add the rest of the stock and Saffron mixture. Season and mix good.
Cook over low heat for 15 mins
Add ½ cheese and cook for a further 20 mins. Add more stock if needed.
Just before you serve, add the rest of the cheese.

Despite what you may think, the rice is over done and has an earthy look. No,,,,,,i was just right with a nice buttery feel with a mild toasty taste.

The Rabbit was to die for however, the kids were whinging about the pepper. I might halve it next time too keep em happy :oops:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
urbangriller

Re: Lemon Dijon BBQ’d Rabbit with Risotto Milanese side

Post by urbangriller »

Well, I was fed a heap of Rabbit as a kid as well as Hogget and Two tooth, boiling fowl, pidgeon, cockatoo, roo, rough scrub steers and all that! I love em all, but Rabbit holds a special place!

Good work Shayne...I know where you are coming from! Bugger the kids, if they can't learn to suck up a bit of pepper....then that's all the more for Shayne!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
sosman

Post by sosman »

urbangriller wrote:Well, I was fed a heap of Rabbit as a kid as well as Hogget and Two tooth, boiling fowl, pidgeon, cockatoo, roo, rough scrub steers and all that! I love em all, but Rabbit holds a special place!

Good work Shayne...I know where you are coming from! Bugger the kids, if they can't learn to suck up a bit of pepper....then that's all the more for Shayne!

Cheers
Chris
Cockatoo - I'm sure I have a bush recipe somewhere that involves cooking a rock until tender.
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

urbangriller wrote:I know where you are coming from! Bugger the kids,
Yep, i hear ya :lol: :lol:

I actually cheated on this cook :oops: :oops: .

Due to the weather and time restraints, i have not been hunting for some time sooooooo, i had to source the rabbit straight from the butcher. Well, that said, i did have to go out of my way for it and take a 40min (return) ride to a butcher that sells rabbit. There is a butcher pretty close to me that sells wild one for $16 each but for an extra four bucks and a few liters of fuel, i put extra effort to get a nice tender NewZealand White :D :D . These farmed ones beat the hell out of the wild ones however, i will never turn my nose up on wild.

I actually killed two birds with one stone here as the butcher that sells these also sells the best Beef i have ever eaten in my life. Although expensive, his rump is to die for. $25/kg sliced how you like it. Nothing is pre cut and is done there in front of you. Good old country service (Richmond, NSW).

I couldnt help but get a whole rump at $5/kg cheaper. All of 2kgs of melt in your mouth Rump

Still tossing up how to cook it this weekend. I might do the "up to internal 151F slow cook with reverse sear"

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

shayne,

got a rabbit in the freezer, been wondering what to do with it. might try it your way.

kevin

was really saving it for a game competition.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Shayne, Did you ask how long its been in the bag?
You could age that as it is for another 3-4 weeks in the coldest part of the fridge.
It will improve
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Commander Cody wrote:got a rabbit in the freezer, been wondering what to do with it. might try it your way.
Is it a wild one or farmed??? as if it is wild, i like soaking them in a vinigar/salt/water mix to draw out some of the bitter game flavour. That said, if you cook it the way i described, you will be delighted with the result. I ate the rest the next day and it was so good. I found myself eating every little morsel of the meat from the bones. This dish will convert even the fussiest non Rabbit eater :D :D

Smokey Mick wrote:You could age that as it is for another 3-4 weeks in the coldest part of the fridge
Thanks for the advice Smokey Mick. I am going to ring the butcher tomorrow and ask the question. As i have still not decided what to do with it yet, keeping it for longer will be good. If it can ge aged, it will only make, what is already the best Rump even better. Two wins for me :D :D

Cheers, Shayne

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Smokey Mick wrote:Shayne, Did you ask how long its been in the bag?
Thanks for the tip on that Smokey Mick. I did ring him yesterday and he confirmed that it would be alright to leave it for up to 4 weeks. He did however say that it has to be positioned right in the fridge :shock: . Meaning, the point slightly raised with the lowest part the fatty heel. When asked "why", he claimed that the meat could turn sour if not stored this why. Wierd hay!!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Shayne

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Interesting tip there, I was told fat cap up, So it seems to be a simular thing to what your bloke was saying.
To be honest, I didnt pay too much atention, although I do turn them once a day.
If you have a super butcher in your area, You can get some great rump deals for $40.
Try the King Island rump with Inspected stamp NO 790,
You can taste the pasture and often around $10 KG
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
dogfish

Post by dogfish »

Hi Shayne,

Looks like a great recipe. I've never eaten wabbit but I have my first Dijon one marinating in the fridge right now. I didn't cut mine up, I'm going to try cook it whole. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the WeberQ or Charcoal Weber tonight.

I wanted to ask if yours came with the kidneys and liver still inside. Mine did, but I wasn't sure if these are good to eat?

Thanks,
DF
titch

Post by titch »

dogfish wrote:Hi Shayne,

Looks like a great recipe. I've never eaten wabbit but I have my first Dijon one marinating in the fridge right now. I didn't cut mine up, I'm going to try cook it whole. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the WeberQ or Charcoal Weber tonight.

I wanted to ask if yours came with the kidneys and liver still inside. Mine did, but I wasn't sure if these are good to eat?

Thanks,
DF

How did the wabbit turn out?
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch