Artisan Breads & No Knead Ideas

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Buccaneer

Re: Artisan Breads & No Knead Ideas

Post by Buccaneer »

Wayne, I am almost sure I bought atta flour at an IGA.
The buggers carry different stock to each other so just keep an eye out.
It came in a plastic container.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

That's quite possible Bucc, the "I" does mean "Independent" after all.

I had expected "Sisters" in Joondalup would have it, but no.

Cheers
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Buccaneer wrote:Wayne, I am almost sure I bought atta flour at an IGA.
The buggers carry different stock to each other so just keep an eye out.
It came in a plastic container.
chrisg wrote::)

Being I'm the other end of the ribbon development called Perth from you Wayne I had to look up Pantryman and I'm envious :) They show Atta in their flour online so looks like the go :)

(It's a little bizarre really, country towns, well, Rockingham sort of qualifies :) are often better for this sort of stuff, I never had any problem getting various flours in Port Augusta, or Willunga for that matter, Adelaide was not easy, around here Wanneroo is the closest.)

I am not sure that I've ever seen Atta in a supermarket, but then again try finding Kosher salt around here as well :)

Buttermilk not rising Mick? It's likely to be a slower rise even without it being cold, the oven ought to do it. In cold weather bakers do get inventive, top of a clothes dryer, in the car if the sun is out, even on the engine fresh back from a drive once. The old Rayburns were great, had a bottom warming oven.

Before now I've taken a heatgun to the outside of of the mixing bowl, which worked, but too much heat can kill the yeast.

My mother always maintains it is why the kitchens of her youth always made for good bread, warmest place in the house :)

Not to belabor the point but it is one reason for kneading, does warm the dough :)

Cheers

Okey dokes, Thanks for the help guys, we picked up some Atta flour and some 13 % protein Bakers flour at our local Pantryman store. So take two is just around the corner now :)

Chris they do have an online store http://www.pantryman.com.au/about-us/ but I'd think there's be a similar shop up your way? Maybe this one? http://www.allaboutbread.com.au/ 95 Wanneroo Road, Greenwood, Western Australia 6024,

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Did find one the other day on Wanneroo Road. Not too far away, used to be one much closer but it's now a dance studio :)

Happens I have to make a delivery to Garden Island, looks like first week of July, so will drop into Pantryman I think, looks interesting :)

Unfortunately dedicated baking type places are a not particularly profitable business and the storage requirements are a bit onerous. In other cities I've seen them combine with home brewing supplies, which is not a bad idea at all. I've had to order Atta online before, with mixed success, mostly through poor packaging/handling by Aussie Post :)

Cheers
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Did find one the other day on Wanneroo Road. Not too far away, used to be one much closer but it's now a dance studio :)

Happens I have to make a delivery to Garden Island, looks like first week of July, so will drop into Pantryman I think, looks interesting :)

Unfortunately dedicated baking type places are a not particularly profitable business and the storage requirements are a bit onerous. In other cities I've seen them combine with home brewing supplies, which is not a bad idea at all. I've had to order Atta online before, with mixed success, mostly through poor packaging/handling by Aussie Post :)

Cheers
Hey, if you're going to the Island you have to drive past ours. Call in for a sharpie ( ot a coffe if it's early) :)

Will be kicking off the no-knead tommorrow.

Cheers, Wayne
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Want to PM me an address Wayne?

Don't have a date as yet, waiting on some deliveries, but I'm down there most every month or so at the moment :)

Cheers
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Want to PM me an address Wayne?

Don't have a date as yet, waiting on some deliveries, but I'm down there most every month or so at the moment :)

Cheers

Will do Chris. I'm home until the 10th July :D

Cheers, Wayne
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

That should work, expecting delivery first week of July atm.

Cheers
ghent

Post by ghent »

I'm giving this one a go tonight with an aim to bake up on Tuesday. Couple of tweaks based on previous experience namely a touch more yeast (14g or two packets) and a teaspoon of caster sugar to the dry mix. The extra sugar and yeast seems to add to the spring and crumb appeal.
2011 Webber kettle
Gasmate 4 burner hooded gasser
Gasmate Charcoal smoker
Terracotta chimnea
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Kakulas Sister Fremantle.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Thanks for the heads up Chris. We'll grab soome next time we're in Freo. Have to get more Porridge oats from there too.

Had another shot at Buccs No-Knead bread with Atta flour and a few seeds. Came out pretty well this time. The first shot at getting it into the heated camp oven was a disaster! Once I got it on the teatowel and tried to get it from there to the camp oven it all went to pot and ended up a folde over mess in the bottom! Tasted alright but was very flat :x

Next half I proved in a small bowl with theidea that I'd sort of roll it down the teatowel and into the camp oven (Have to talk to Bucc about how he does this?) Then got to thinking ahhhhhh........... just put the bowl in Samea Samea.

here's a couple of pics.

Came out pretty good although getting it out of the bowl was a bit of a task. Taste was great and still quite moist this morning.

Cheers, Wyane and Jan
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Wayne, try making it on baking paper and put the whole thing paper and all in the camp oven.

Cheers
Chris
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Wayne, it took me a couple of goes to get the knack.
I flour the tea towel on the table./Semolina of whatever I choose for that loaf.
Lay the dough on it and fold the dough, fold the tea towel over the lot and leave it.
When ready to bake, I pick up the tea towel and over the pot I open and half tip half roll it into the pot (....none too gently ....) so the fold in on the bottom.
If it lands unevenly giving the pot a jiggle sorts that out.

Thanks Chris.
I rarely get down there but looks like it's time for a S&A run in the near future.

I mean...a Kakula's Sister run.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

That can be a problem with any somewhat sloppy dough unless it's being cooked in a tin that it is being risen in, but that's not the deal with free-form loaves.

Bucc's way sounds pretty good, tbh I'm trying to recall what I did, it was in my large mixing bowl and I moved it very quickly to the oven. I'm going to assume I "rolled" it in and was lucky it ended up right side up :)

Not a problem with more conventional doughs of course :)

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Buccaneer wrote: Thanks Chris.
I rarely get down there but looks like it's time for a S&A run in the near future.

I mean...a Kakula's Sister run.
Any Excuse!