Buying First BBQ! Need HELP

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Captain Cook

Re: Buying First BBQ! Need HELP

Post by Captain Cook »

Paul23 wrote:Thanks for the reply Cap'n

I rang Weber and they told me that they don't convert overseas models. Also I'm not sure about the warranty I'll ring tomorrow and check.

Why isn't the delux Weber so much worse than the summit, I'm looking at the delux (one from Brisbane) because i have no need for a side burner or rotisserie.

Paul
The Deluxe one is an old Summit about 5 years old, It does not come with a rotisserie. It will still work extremely good, I noted that it came with a veggie and a fish grill tray which are very handy.
I would recommend that for the bit of extra money if you are going to buy a new one that you get the side burner, whilst it doesn't get hot enough for cooking asian food in a wok there are a myriad of dishes that you can do on it. Expect to get at least 15 and more like 25 years life out of it.

I think Weber stopped doing the conversions because of liability, the units do not carry the AGA sticker.

People have brought them in and had a gas fitter replace the hose, however, I can't advocate that because of liability laws, if I say it's ok and you do it and there is a problem, I could be liable.

Don't you just love how everything comes down to He said - She said and litigation, what ever happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions. Lawyers may probably just want to make money at our expense.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Paul, It looks like my Summit 4 burner. Maybe an older model?
All the tin is the same as mine, six burner a bit more than I need but you dont have to fire up all burners.
Mate, If its in good nic, You wont be disapointed.
Having said that, ALL gas bbq,s have there quirks, You learn to get around them.
For instance, My pre to the latest model, a Summit gold is cooler at the back then the front (Hot & cold spots)
Thats ok as I can place almost done to the back and not quite done to the front.
Or place sugary chicken pieces to the back and sear steak at the front and time it so there done at the same time :wink:

Note, I did think about reaming the back quarter of gas holes in the burners(Jezz I hope that came out right :roll: )
To get a bigger flame at the back, But I settled on the status Q,
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Lawyers may probably just want to make money at our expense.

No sh!t Sherlock :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Smokey Mick wrote:Lawyers may probably just want to make money at our expense.

No sh!t Sherlock :lol:
I was trying to be politically correct so I wasn't liable for defamation. I hope it came out correctly. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers
Paul23

Post by Paul23 »

Thanks for the advice,

Would it be better to buy a second hand weber or a new bbq like beefeater etc... for the same price?

There is not much info on the delux weber model, are spare parts avaliable, what could need replacing?

Paul
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Paul
Spare parts will be available for the next 20+ years for the Weber

I would rather buy a second hand Weber than a new Beefeater, but I am probably biased as I demonstrated cooking for Weber for 7 years up until last December. Having done that I know what they are capable of compared to other BBQs and can see the quality differences.
Don't get me wrong the Beefeater is a good BBQ (apart from the signature model as there is still some out there with the fault that we brought to their attention last December) One of the differences is that the Beefeater is a old style BBQ where you grill with the lid up and the Weber is a newer design that allows you to grill with the lid down producing a juicier more flavoursome finish which saves on gas and is a much quicker cook. There are many other things that you can do but this is not a sales speil.

You can cook on a $100.00 BBQ and get good results and you can cook on a $4000.00 BBQ and get bad results, obviously it is best to have good quality tools and the other important thing is knowing what you can do with what you have to get the best results. I have a Weber Baby Q in my Winnebago and regularly produce restaurant quality food on it when I am on the road, that is because I know all the ins and outs of it and what I can do to get the best results.

I also think that a charcoal BBQ is better for 70% of dishes compared to a gas BBQ.

So now we have confused you enough for now.

Cheers
Jasperdog

Post by Jasperdog »

Hi All
Sorry to bring up an old post but I have a question from Captains last post.

I too have been searching the web and also this forum on buying a new BBQ.
I went and had a look at the weber genesis 310 on Tuesday and decided that was the BBQ for me.

When I read your post above, my father in-law comes over and cooks on my BBQ quite regularly as I'm away for business. He's old school when it comes to cooking on a BBQ.
So the question is ---
Would he still be able to cook steaks, chicken pieces and lamb chops on the weber with the hood up like his BBQ a at home?
Will it be able to heat up enough for that to be done?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

How does he like his steak? Im guessing well done?
Yes it will cook lid up, But you wont get restaurant quality
Jasperdog

Post by Jasperdog »

Hi Smokey Mick
He's a pretty good cook actually and likes his steaks medium.

So I went and bought a Weber Genesis 310 today. Gets delivered next Friday.

Looking forward to using it for the first time....

Cheers
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

great work Mate. You will never be sorry buying quality.

Cheers

Cap'n